Any interest in this?

Search This thread

jeanxx

Nov 30, 2010
Phoenix
OnePlus 9
Yeah, I actually have one of these that we were going to use as a starting point for the mold:

We could make a hole for the Beats logo, but he can also buy the kevlar weave in different colors, and red is one of them. :)
If ur friend can make a mold of the actual back battery door on the rezound instead of just the case, Ill definitely buy one. I dont like the back and red theme so I dont like that red beats audio logo on back. If he could make it and possible paint it black and purple ill buy it from him :)

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
If ur friend can make a mold of the actual back battery door on the rezound instead of just the case, Ill definitely buy one. I dont like the back and red theme so I dont like that red beats audio logo on back. If he could make it and possible paint it black and purple ill buy it from him :)

Not to piss on the idea, but you need the antennas

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
good idea but I don't how you can make one that has a reasonable price. it has to be comparable in price with regular case price

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
good idea but I don't how you can make one that has a reasonable price. it has to be comparable in price with regular case price

Well, that is what we are working out.

First you have the idea, and you set a target price point.

If there is sufficient demand, you get to work and see what you can come up with, both from a product perspective and then from a cost/profitability angle.

If yes on both counts, you test and perfect the prototype, and if it all works out and you still have demand and can create it at a price point that sells and meets your margins, GREAT SUCCESS. ;-)

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Well, that is what we are working out.

First you have the idea, and you set a target price point.

If there is sufficient demand, you get to work and see what you can come up with, both from a product perspective and then from a cost/profitability angle.

If yes on both counts, you test and perfect the prototype, and if it all works out and you still have demand and can create it at a price point that sells and meets your margins, GREAT SUCCESS. ;-)

good luck, hope you find a good price point to start things out

Smitelight

Jun 11, 2010
Applecantistan
I'm totally down for a molded case like I'm seeing described. Hope you find something that escapes the reception issue elegantly! As far as price goes, if it looks boss, I'd pay a few bucks more than the usual premium case rates in exchange for the unique factor.

justreboot

Nov 12, 2009
Central NJ
Hmmm... originally I was hellz yea... but then the more I thought of it I think the tensile strength of the CF would actually be a negative :( The constant battery pulls (I'm an addict flasher) would be havoc on the cover/case... Too bad, cause it would look positively stunning. The price-point is very fair... Plus I would need both the ex-batt and the regular :)

calilove08

Nov 18, 2011
I would defenetly buy one of it doesn't mess up the actual phone cause I do flash **** lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

phoenix3265

May 3, 2011
I'm also interested in testing/buying one (or a couple if diff colors become available)

It's obvious from your posts that you guys will come up with a quality product, good job and thank you.

Sent while highly caffeinated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, the process to build a prototype is underway!

In the meantime, here is the site, which is still under construction and will have more content added as time goes on, but its a start:

http://www.performancecarbonfiber.com/
    Ok, some updates...

1) The cases that Daniel has been prototyping for the iPhone 4 are not working out as well as we had hoped. And the issue with them would be worse for the Rezound. The thing is, that this stuff doesn't stretch like regular plastic or vinyl, it is way too strong. So you have to mold in the lip that wraps around the phone and grips it. Well, when you have that, it makes it impossible to remove from the mold without destroying the mold.

2) We have also discovered that pur carbon fiber interferes with the phone's reception. It acts like a Faraday Cage!

However, all is not lost! We are researching different fabrics to find one that looks the same, but doesn't have the electrical properties that Carbon has. Kevlar is one option.

And as far as the molding goes, what may be a good method would be to take your cheap basic $3 eBay snap on case, and lay down the Kevlar and Epoxy over that. Use the case as the mold and put a think layer on top, then vacuum bag it to bond it all as one piece. That guarantees a perfect fit, the softer plastic case would be inside and act as a liner so it won't scratch anything, and you would have a dual-density, single case that should be very impact resistant and look identical to a pure carbon fiber piece. You would have a better fit and actually have better protection this way, so we are gonna prototype that and I will test it out on my Rezound and see how it works.
    I'd be happy to help test:-D

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

Let me see if we can get a couple working test units.
    Any progress on this project?

Couple setbacks on the molding process. It is a lot harder than we thought, which is probably why nobody has released one that costs under $100 before. LOL

That said, we are still testing some things and Daniel is actually pretty confident that he is getting close to having a test unit. Stay tuned.
    I don't see us making a kickstand version. Making multiple parts that have to each be cut and custom fit, that would work and hold up over time, is not something he wants to take on. If we had a CAD machine and an autoclave, that would be different, but Ferrari won't let us borrow theirs so we are SOL. haha

He made a prototype for the iPhone 4 yesterday and it came out pretty good. He is tweaking the mold and finalizing things and then he will tackle the rezound. Once we have a finished product that we are happy with, we will post the pics here and on his website, ramp up the additional molds we will need and then start cranking them out.