Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,727,987 Members 46,034 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No good - XROM XHOWTO Unlocked R800X - run Sony ICS beta - the easy way

Tip us?

One2many
Old
(Last edited by One2many; 20th April 2012 at 03:19 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default No good - XROM XHOWTO Unlocked R800X - run Sony ICS beta - the easy way

UPDATE - Do not bother with these instructions. They do not work as intended. Too many different results.

Unlocked R800X - run Sony ICS stock beta as a daily driver on your R800X - the easy way

This is purposed for the stock R800i rom to run on the R800X. Since the information is somewhat scattered in the threads I thought I would bundle it with instructions to help other R800X owners that want to use a completely stock rom with root. This assumes you have an unlocked R800x and know how to get fastboot working. Everything seems to work except MMS.

First a disclaimer...
-I did not create anything here so credit truly goes to Doomlord, Chevyowner, Sony, Google and anyone that contributes to XDA
-This is intended for informational purposes only. Although I hope it works for you, I really dont care if your phone goes up in smoke so use at your own risk. :)

Now lets have fun!

1) I gathered all the files you will need from XDA and Sony for this:
http://www.mediafire.com/?29fiyj22bt8lzlg

2) Extract the contents of the above file to c:\ICS using winrar

3) Copy all the *.zip files from the above folder to your phone's SD card

4) Boot device into fastboot mode. With the device off, hold the magnify glass button while connecting the usb cord. If all goes well you see a blue led. If not search forum about your fastboot problems.

5) Flash doomlord's ics beta kernel via fastboot. (this is so we can install from zip and also roots the new rom)

fastboot flash boot c:\ics\doom-ics.img

6) Boot to CWM - keep pressing the magnify glass button right after powering on the device

7) Wipe cache, data, dalvik cache and reboot

8) Boot device to fastboot again

9) Flash sony beta rom files (takes a while so be patient)

fastboot flash system c:\ics\system.img
fastboot flash userdata c:\ics\userdata.img

10) Boot to CWM - keep pressing the magnify glass button right after powering on the device

11) 'Install from zip' all the zip files you copied to your device earlier. Including gapps, doomlords ics boot animation, and cdma

12) Flash stock kernal (fix wifi without loading modules)

fastboot flash boot c:\ics\boot.img

13) To get cell data working - go to settings, xperia, internet settings and click accept

Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to One2many For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wallrunner
Old
(Last edited by Wallrunner; 5th April 2012 at 02:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Followed the steps on my R800x, boots, wifi works and runs pretty smooth. Phone crashes after I hit the call button. SMS appears to work, MMS doesn't, even after adding the Verzion APN in settings.

Going to Settings>Xperia>Internet Settings doesn't appear to do anything after hitting apply, mobile data isn't working and calls crash. Haven't tested any games yet though. Are there any steps I might have missed?

Edit: Even though the phone force closes, the call connects and the other party can hear my voice, but there's no way to hang up or any indication that there's a call going on. The Wifi indicator flashes on and off until the phone is rebooted or the call is dropped.

Leraeniesh
Old
Thanks Meter 951

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrunner View Post
Followed the steps on my R800x, boots, wifi works and runs pretty smooth. Phone crashes after I hit the call button. SMS appears to work, MMS doesn't, even after adding the Verzion APN in settings.

Going to Settings>Xperia>Internet Settings doesn't appear to do anything after hitting apply, mobile data isn't working and calls crash. Haven't tested any games yet though. Are there any steps I might have missed?
Nope. This is all we have working right now.

Sent from R800x
Current Devices:
VZW HTC One M7 - S-OFF - CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies - Elite Lunar Kernel
AT&T Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted - CyanogenMod 11
Nexus 7 - Unlocked - CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies
Older Devices:
Droid Razr M XT907 - Unlocked - CyanogenMod 11
Xperia Play R800x - Unlocked - Xperia NXT Gaming - DooMKernel
Kindle Fire - Rooted - Cyanogenmod 11 with SGT7 framework

Wallrunner
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leraeniesh View Post
Nope. This is all we have working right now.

Sent from R800x
Thanks, but were you aware that calls were going through and the microphone works? you just can't hear the other party or see anything indicating the phone was on, but the other party can hear you and they get a call notification.

lightningdude
Old
Thanks Meter 277
Quote:
Thanks, but were you aware that calls were going through and the microphone works? you just can't hear the other party or see anything indicating the phone was on, but the other party can hear you and they get a call notification.
Don't forget that only the other party can hang up or do anything else in the phone call. Works great for leaving voicemail!

zipeee2
Old
(Last edited by zipeee2; 5th April 2012 at 11:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:

Edit: Even though the phone force closes, the call connects and the other party can hear my voice, but there's no way to hang up or any indication that there's a call going on. The Wifi indicator flashes on and off until the phone is rebooted or the call is dropped.
Was the CDMA for Verizon "patch" in this .rar. tested on the doomlord kernel? (vs. stock)

Leraeniesh
Old
Thanks Meter 951

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipeee2 View Post
Was the CDMA for Verizon "patch" in this .rar. tested on the doomlord kernel? (vs. stock)
My patch is only to receive a CDMA signal. Its been tested on DooM and stock, with similar results.

Sent from R800x
Current Devices:
VZW HTC One M7 - S-OFF - CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies - Elite Lunar Kernel
AT&T Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted - CyanogenMod 11
Nexus 7 - Unlocked - CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies
Older Devices:
Droid Razr M XT907 - Unlocked - CyanogenMod 11
Xperia Play R800x - Unlocked - Xperia NXT Gaming - DooMKernel
Kindle Fire - Rooted - Cyanogenmod 11 with SGT7 framework

One2many
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leraeniesh View Post
My patch is only to receive a CDMA signal. Its been tested on DooM and stock, with similar results.

Sent from R800x
Sorry there is trouble.
Again all I did here was attempt to bundle everything that's already available to make it easier. I assumed what I did would work for everyone.

Since I wrote the instructions from memory I should go through them again to see if I missed a step.

My data works fine as well as 3g notification.

My phone app does occasionally get that error but calls and hangs up ok.

Personally I prefer the stock kernel and stock wifi modules because I get way better battery life in standby. Other roms/kernels I was only getting 5 hours and with ics beta with stock kernel I get over 24 hours.

Do you think baseband versions matter here causing different device behavior for data and phone issues?

GlacialFlames
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Please help me, i'm on step 6 and having an impossible time booting to CWM, and am now stuck in a bootloop since flashing doomkernal

jenesuispasbavard
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacialFlames View Post
Please help me, i'm on step 6 and having an impossible time booting to CWM, and am now stuck in a bootloop since flashing doomkernal
Instead of flashing DooMLorD's ICS kernel in step 5, try flashing the three .img files from the official beta, then try this in fastboot mode. It will boot you to recovery instead of flashing it, where you can flash all the .zip files in step 11 onwards. No need to do step 12.
Sony Ericsson W800i
Sony Ericsson W580i
Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition

Samsung SGH-T509 (as backup phone)
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i
HTC G2
HTC myTouch 4G Slide

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
Nokia Lumia 800
Nokia Lumia 900
Nokia Lumia 920

HTC One S