Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] will keeping charger plugged in 24/7 ruin the battery?

OP mertzi

5th April 2012, 03:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99

539 posts
Sorry if this should be in the general forum but there are different opinions for different phones so I thought it's better to ask here. I don't use my tattoo nowadays but I'm getting a new contract today and my old will run for 2 more months and I thought I'd use the sim-card for my old contract in my tattoo only for wifi hotspot usage and keep it on 24/7, like a router. Will that ruin the battery? I know it can't run on charger only but I don't want to destroy the battery cause the tattoo is a good backup phone. How does it actually work when the battery is 100%, does the charging stop?
5th April 2012, 06:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 1

22 posts
More
Exclamation Yes
I used to have my Tattoo plugged in most of the time. Within one year my battery got swollen up and was able to give only 2 hours backup on standby. Although this was my experience, maybe the battery was defective in the first place. I suggest that you take out te battery plug in the charger and switch on the phone. If it does switch on, then you may usr it this way. I have also noticed that te phone goes very hot while in tethering mode.
5th April 2012, 06:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99

539 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny25

I used to have my Tattoo plugged in most of the time. Within one year my battery got swollen up and was able to give only 2 hours backup on standby. Although this was my experience, maybe the battery was defective in the first place. I suggest that you take out te battery plug in the charger and switch on the phone. If it does switch on, then you may usr it this way. I have also noticed that te phone goes very hot while in tethering mode.

thanks for the reply! I know, it get's almost so hot that it burns when using wifi tethering, that's also an issue with keeping it plugged in all the time cause high temperatures is bad for the battery. Booting it without battery doesn't work. Can't understand why this isn't standard with all phones, a lot of people use wifi tethering and it eats battery fast and you have to keep the phone plugged in the whole day. I have unlimited data and it's fast enough so I don't need any other internet at home so I use wifi tethering daily.
6th April 2012, 09:01 AM   |  #4  
Flag Chandigarh

22 posts
More
Lightbulb Alternate option
If you are not considering the cost factor, you can buy a 3g Dongle and a Wifi router that supports it. If that looks costly to you you can go ahead using your phone and then replacing the battery when it goes bad, if ever. A new battery costs about $12 here in India.
6th April 2012, 11:42 AM   |  #5  
Flag Mostar
Thanks Meter: 337

738 posts
More
How about making charge braker, a circuit that would stop charging and start it again every lets say 12 hours
12th April 2012, 01:17 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

264 posts
More
Yea, a kinda timer. We have such things in Denmark.
13th April 2012, 04:40 AM   |  #7  
Flag Chandigarh

22 posts
More
Cool Sounds Cool
It sounds like a cool geeky idea. Never thought about such a thing. Does anyone have a DIY tutorial on how to go about it?
2nd May 2012, 01:52 AM   |  #8  
Flag Amiens
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Why don't you just plug you're phone on a programmable socket?

You just have to configure the socket to restart every 8-10 hours...giving your battery the time to normaly drain and restart charging.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread