5,594,700 Members 33,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Popular Stable ROM for the Thunderbolt

Tip us?

cdf3
Old
(Last edited by cdf3; 1st April 2012 at 05:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been searching for a good ROM to install. I saw that quite a few users like Thundershed 1.4
When I searched online for the installation files, I came across Thundershed 1.5
Ended up downloading v1.5
Took me a minute to go through the steps of getting a GPS lock, but after following the steps I now have GPS.
Ready to give this ROM a try.

Edit: The ROM is fast but I think I'm ready to ditch it. Phone has frozen twice on me and I haven't had it I installed a full day yet. 2 battery pulls so far. MMS was acting funny for a while as well.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

mi7chy
Old
Thanks Meter 262
I tend to avoid highly customized ROMs because they tend to lack proper and thorough QA, introduce issues with the many changes and also affect stability. I stick to mostly stock ROMs and have seen uptime >800 hours. The two I would recommend are:

Ginger BreadRock (Android 2.3.4, Sense 2.1)
http://www.htcthunderbolt4g.com/htc-...erbread-leak)/

OpenMobile (Android 2.3.6, Sense 3.0)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457659
I'm currently running this for its newer Android and Sense builds plus it has native working HotSpot and it doesn't have the carrier garbage apps. The new radios transition properly to EVDO when LTE is down. There are a few minor quirks but the pros far outweigh them.

PieceKeepr
Old
Thanks Meter 108
ThunderShed is the way to go. When I rooted I turned the GPS on and left it on throughout the process. I got a lock during each step using GPS Status and Toolbox and went from stock to rooted to ThunderShed without the Sense ROM / nandroid hassle.

Sent from my ThunderSheded Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
HTC Thunderbolt running ThunderShed by Workshed

Verizon Tab 2 10.1
Verizon Tab 2 7.0
(wifey's)

donnyp1
Old
Thanks Meter 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi7chy View Post
I tend to avoid highly customized ROMs because they tend to lack proper and thorough QA, introduce issues with the many changes and also affect stability. I stick to mostly stock ROMs and have seen uptime >800 hours. The two I would recommend are:

Ginger BreadRock (Android 2.3.4, Sense 2.1)
http://www.htcthunderbolt4g.com/htc-...erbread-leak)/

OpenMobile (Android 2.3.6, Sense 3.0)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457659
I'm currently running this for its newer Android and Sense builds plus it has native working HotSpot and it doesn't have the carrier garbage apps. The new radios transition properly to EVDO when LTE is down. There are a few minor quirks but the pros far outweigh them.
+1

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

LightDark
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Personally I am a fan of the Eternity series because of the capabilities of sense 3.5. And it also has very little to no lag.

takylo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Great Feedback

All, thank you for the great feedback. I decided to try Eternity. I must say I love the stability and the battery life. Way superior to my Droid Charge. On my Charge if I didn't charge it over night I would wakeup to a dead battery. With this rom and phone I can get a good day and a half.

I will experiment with some of the others that you folks mention. Also I have the CPU set "ondemand" @ 1.5g I'm totally sold on HTC. I hope that the HTC One will come to Verizon.
Again, thanks for the all the info and feedback. XDA Rocks!

ponyboy82
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I finally just rooted and rom'd and tried Bamf SoaB first. It was nice but I guess I wasn't blown away. Based on suggestions here I then tried Liquid with the Imo kernel and fell in love. This is how the phone SHOULD feel! No lag and great battery life to boot. I just ran it down and got a little over 36 hours of "normal" usage (for me) with 30% charge left.

evgeny71
Old
(Last edited by evgeny71; 11th April 2012 at 11:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Skyraider 1.3 is awesome rom !!
:thumbup:
Sent from my T-Bolt using Tapatalk 2

mi7chy
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Don't know what was modified in OpenMobile and Thunderstick but they both random reboot over a course of a day or two. Unacceptable to have phone reboot while depending on it for GPS navigation while on the road. Back to Ginger Breadrock 3.1a which has been stable with 124 hour uptime.

jelleephish
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Not sure about the Non-Sense roms, I've heard good things about them....as far as others go, if you like or use wifi fairly frequently I would not use a 3.5 sense based rom until they figure the issue with that out.

I like SkyRaider for sense based, runs the smoothest in my opinion.