5,600,664 Members 37,503 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to turn OFF the soft key lights?

Tip us?

Pandasaurus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default How to turn OFF the soft key lights?

The light coming from the 4 soft keys and the two physical home and end buttons is bugging the hell out of me. They hurt my eyes, especially when it's dark.

Is there some kind of script I can run to permanently turn them off? Preferably a zip file I can just flash in the recovery or something.

HowardZ
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Interesting that you want them turned off.

I want to know how to turn ON the soft key lights, because sometimes I press the wrong key (as I came from a Droid-X).

androidifyme
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 41
Easy, if your rooted download gscript and run one of these scripts one for of is lightsout.sh one for one is lightson.sh
push them to your sdcard/gscript folder then load them in gscript and run from gscript
there is allso trackballon and trackballoff if you want to turn your trackball on or off for some reason. I will have the green and orange led up later

NOTE: if there is an error like the lights turn off after a bit then edit the gscript lightson.sh and remove the line that says sleep1.

NOTE#2: this may cause soft reboots were your phone will run the boot animation and restart the xserver of android shell blah blah. nothing to worry about doesnt hurt your phone
Attached Files
File Type: zip lights.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1,014 Bytes, 610 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to androidifyme For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pandasaurus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidifyme View Post
Easy, if your rooted download gscript and run one of these scripts one for of is lightsout.sh one for one is lightson.sh
push them to your sdcard/gscript folder then load them in gscript and run from gscript
there is allso trackballon and trackballoff if you want to turn your trackball on or off for some reason. I will have the green and orange led up later

NOTE: if there is an error like the lights turn off after a bit then edit the gscript lightson.sh and remove the line that says sleep1.

NOTE#2: this may cause soft reboots were your phone will run the boot animation and restart the xserver of android shell blah blah. nothing to worry about doesnt hurt your phone
First of all, thank you.

But I ran into some issues/have questions:

1) The lightsoff script works after I run it in gscript, but when I turn the screen off and back on again, the soft key lights turn right back on.

2) By the green and orange LEDs, do you mean the notification LED? Because if so, it's not necessary; I actually need those ones.

3) The green phone and red end/power lights still stay on.

4) I don't see a line that say "sleep1" in the lightson script.

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 300
If you are running a CyanogenMod ROM, there is a control for the automatic backlight that also lets you set the light levels fot when the softkey backlights go on (which you can set to 0 to never come on.) I don't have a CM ROM installed at the moment, but it's in settings->CyanogenMod ROM settings somewhere. if you cannot find it, I can dig around.

[edit] I think it's in user interface->automatic backlight. That's where it was in CM6 (Froyo).
The Following User Says Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pandasaurus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
If you are running a CyanogenMod ROM, there is a control for the automatic backlight that also lets you set the light levels fot when the softkey backlights go on (which you can set to 0 to never come on.) I don't have a CM ROM installed at the moment, but it's in settings->CyanogenMod ROM settings somewhere. if you cannot find it, I can dig around.

[edit] I think it's in user interface->automatic backlight. That's where it was in CM6 (Froyo).
Thank you! I found it after digging around the settings a bit.

gu5t3r
Old
(Last edited by gu5t3r; 13th June 2012 at 01:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1071
on Arc S
while button-backlights are off value of
/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness is 0
while its 0 change permissions to read only
they are disabled

I can also limit current to 150 in max_current which limits current and lights are dimmed if you want it running but not at max brightness...

added
Quote:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0040/leds/button-backlight/brightness
chmod 444 /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0040/leds/button-backlight/brightness
to /system/etc/hw_config.sh

now they are set off on boot

fizyplankton
Old
Thanks Meter 0
another more hardcore approach is to unplug the leds. remove the back cover, sdcard, and battery. then use a t5 or t6 torx screwdriver to remove the four screws. remove the back casing, starting at the top, near the headphones. peel off the copper plate held on by 4 pieces of tape, but dont bend the copper. then in the middle of the circut board there will we a yellow film. peel it back to reveal a hole in the board where a long and skinny brown wire plugs in. unplug it, it just lifts straight off. follow these steps in reverse, and the softlights will be disabled.
WARNING: this WILL irrevocably void your warranty, although seeing how old the model is, i doubt it has one

Daniel.96
Old
Thanks Meter 1398
Hey guys, can I use any of your solutions with my samsung galaxy s plus ?
Daniel96's KernelToolBox - Make and customize your own Kernel - simple & fast.

My GitHub

Don't get mad, get root

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablob555 View Post
Hey guys, can I use any of your solutions with my samsung galaxy s plus ?
I hardly know anything about this aspect of the Eris (my phone), so I really can't say, but I would doubt it being such different hardware and of course different manufacturer.