5,593,248 Members 32,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mounting trouble, bloatware removal only.

Tip us?

Merio90
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CScrivener View Post
Alright, will give that a try when I get home. I thought I read that the program copied the update.zip file to the phone during it's process so I didn't want to do anything to work against that. I will rename one of the files, copy it to the phone and give the one click root another shot. Thank you!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA
There is no need to rename anything. The program does it all for you. Play close attention to the first screen (green one) if it says update.zip copied successfully it will then reboot your phone to stock recovery. Once you are in stock recovery all you do is click reinstall packages. Keep clicking reinstall packages even if it reboots the first time. To prove my point mount your phone to your pc and check to see if the update.zip is copied onto the root of your into storage. If not well copy the update.zip from the last guide i suggested from above.

Also check to see if the superuser app is installed on your phone. The program also installs that along with the update.zip. If you have superuser then go to the market download rom manager so you could download CWM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to Merio90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CScrivener
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Alright, so I tried it again once I got home. Didn't work BUT I did see that update.zip was installed into my phone. The sig verification failed, which means I need to change recovery versions to the one that skips sig verification correct?

I'll go search the forums for that since I remember seeing that a little while ago but that is the correct path I need to take at this point in time am I right?

Thank you so much! Big big help!

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 7556
You can pull the CWR from my signature. Same as before. Put it on your internal labeled update.zip, boot into recovery and and scroll down to Reinstall Packages. Hit it. It will cycle and probably come back to stock recovery. Hit Reinstall Packages again and the stock recovery will go from blue to green (CWR).

Side note, probably from there you will be able to install the Superuser update.zip. Just go to Install from SD card and find it and hit it. The reboot. Might not but the CWR instructions above shoudl work for you.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

CScrivener
Old
(Last edited by CScrivener; 6th April 2012 at 10:12 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well I changed the recovery version using the file from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833423 and then used the OneClickRoot and was able to get the update installed (I think). The phone booted up normally, I noticed that SU Permissions was installed so I figure I am rooted correct? WRONG. Rom toolbox says I am not. Is there another way to verify? Should I reinstall Rom toolbox incase it's just bugging out on me?

So I tried using Rom Manager too. Looks as tho SU is not installed correctly, will have to try again I guess.

Cannot install CWR, tried and the recovery text stays blue even after 14 times of reinstalling packages...

This phone will be sent flying across the room sometime tonight I'm guessing. About to erase the entire thing and try starting from scratch again. (Start from Eclair and work my way up maybe)

Woody
Old
Thanks Meter 7556
If you are willing to start from Eclair it would be soooo much easier that all this stuff.

Odin to stock, flash CWR from my signature, go from blue to green and then flash Fishman's Bionix and you are good to go. Simple and way easier than all this mess. Just download Fish's and put it on you SD card somewhere you'll remember. Once in green recovery just scroll to that ROM and flash it per OP.

We've just been trying to Root you since on your OP you said you didn't want to flash a custom ROM.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CScrivener
Old
(Last edited by CScrivener; 6th April 2012 at 10:59 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well...I'm still trying to avoid flashing Roms (I've upgraded through MiniKies and that's it).

I've only been trying to root just to clean bloatware off but it seems that I must be lacking the technical skills to follow instrcutions properly....nothing is cooperating and even after following all steps nothing wants to work like it should.

Grrrr! One last try to get CWR working before I lose my mind and need to take a break/walk away for a bit.

CScrivener
Old
(Last edited by CScrivener; 6th April 2012 at 11:14 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, so I'm currently back to stock Eclair (ew!!) and about to boot to recovery to install CWR. Wish me luck on that one....

Wooo, CWR up and running! Now I just have to work on a flash maybe or whatever steps were suggested next...I might try the ROM you suggested.

The ROM gets placed on external sdcard and installed from within CWR correct?

Do most ROMs remove bloatware and useless apps?

Woody
Old
Thanks Meter 7556
Yes and are pre-Rooted. Put the ROM.zip on either card. I have a folder that I use. Boot into recovery and get green recovery back. Go to install from SD, find the ROM and flash it per the OP instructions.

Bloat free, pre-Rooted and usually has Voodoo so you can get Voodoo Sound from the market and have a sonic ear-gasm.
ZFFZ

I GPL I

The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CScrivener
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help! I installed the suggested ROM last night and I am very happy with the results thus far. It was alot easier than I thought it would be. Flashing a ROM was MUCH more simpler than the root only decision. Thank you again!