Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

OUTDATED[Guide] Setting up/using adb/fastboot-unlock, flash custom recovery & root

OP okantomi

7th April 2012, 01:11 PM   |  #271  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715
 
3,019 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofrad

I believe this may be incorrect. I restored to stock and then accepted the OTA to 3.2 but still found the files in question under /system. I didn't want to risk anything so I simply restored back to stock and proceeded on without issue. I really don't think any of the ota updates are needed if you have the microsd adapter to load your roms/zips onto the sdcard via your pc before you begin the process. Clockword Recovery will see the sdcard regardless of whether or not Honeycomb will.

Either way, thanks for the guide. Especially including that quoted bit about those ota updates. I followed through your guide until I got clockword recovery flashed and from there I just did a nandroid and flashed over SteadyHawkin's CM9 rom with no issues at all. Thanks for putting this together and helping me free my device

@kofrad, it is very possible that you are correct, and that it isn't needed to take those ota updates. If it can be confirmed, I would like to revise that section of the guide to correct it. That part was not written from my own experience, as I rooted very early-on, before these security files were included to make flashing a custom recovery so difficult. Glad it worked for you. Do you have any advice for yotamleo11?
7th April 2012, 01:13 PM   |  #272  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715
 
3,019 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4321

Recently got my xoom and generally knew what i was doing to root and all but the guide helped make it clear. A big thank you!

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

I'm so glad that the guide could be of some assistance. Enjoy your rooted Xoom!
7th April 2012, 03:30 PM   |  #273  
Member
Flag Tel Aviv
Thanks Meter: 0
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

@yotamleo11, I'm sorry that you are struggling with this. It is possible that, as kofrad says in the post below yours, that you don't need to allow those ota updates once you've flashed back to stock. Just make sure that you have your command window opened from within the folder where you have the image files you wish to flash.

Keep at it. You will get it.

thats the thing i can't flash back to stock either i do something wrong, everytime im in fastboot i get the error of can't load image file thourgh cmd
7th April 2012, 07:03 PM   |  #274  
kofrad's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 53
 
201 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

@kofrad, it is very possible that you are correct, and that it isn't needed to take those ota updates. If it can be confirmed, I would like to revise that section of the guide to correct it. That part was not written from my own experience, as I rooted very early-on, before these security files were included to make flashing a custom recovery so difficult. Glad it worked for you. Do you have any advice for yotamleo11?

I'm offering my confirmation here that the OTA updates aren't needed. Once I returned to stock using the motodev images, I let OTA take me to 3.1 and did an "adb shell ls /system" and saw the recovery files in there. I reflashed the motodev images and ran the same command. This time the recovery files weren't there. From there I simply flashed recovery and flashed my rom from the external sd card with no issue.

My assumption is that the lack of sd card support on pre-3.2 xooms is a kernel issue. Missing module or configuration for it. Whatever Koush has got going on inside of clockword recovery seems to load it up and initialize it just fine for me without sd card support in the stock images.
The Following User Says Thank You to kofrad For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th April 2012, 01:08 AM   |  #275  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715
 
3,019 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofrad

I'm offering my confirmation here that the OTA updates aren't needed. Once I returned to stock using the motodev images, I let OTA take me to 3.1 and did an "adb shell ls /system" and saw the recovery files in there. I reflashed the motodev images and ran the same command. This time the recovery files weren't there. From there I simply flashed recovery and flashed my rom from the external sd card with no issue.

My assumption is that the lack of sd card support on pre-3.2 xooms is a kernel issue. Missing module or configuration for it. Whatever Koush has got going on inside of clockword recovery seems to load it up and initialize it just fine for me without sd card support in the stock images.

Thank you very much...I have removed that line regarding taking the ota updates. I don't want anyone getting confused or having to do extra steps.
8th April 2012, 11:38 AM   |  #276  
-Alaa-'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
267 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
okantomi Big thanks For the helpful Thread, i am facing the same problem with the fastboot recovery img its telling me could not load can you help me with that? i tried several times to change the name but no luck also in pltaform-tools the fastboot file exist (before its was in tools) so any solution? i've read this thread and i guess my problem is smillar so can you make me a suggestion please?
9th April 2012, 01:53 PM   |  #277  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
...
Before I get into the process, I want to report the presence of the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file in my xoom. Always that I've been updated was via OTA, so what do you suggest, should I start with the normal steps written in the guide or should I go back with the motodev images( I mean,fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash boot boot.img ...) directly?

I'm on ICS 4.0.4 all stock only WiFi model US version. I don't want to brick my lovely xoom tablet.

Regards
Last edited by fvlserevere; 9th April 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add
9th April 2012, 03:53 PM   |  #278  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 715
 
3,019 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
I think you need to follow the steps relating to the "bot of !" because otherwise you can't install the custom recovery. Read some of the more recent comments in this thread to see what others have done to resolve this issue--I never faced this problem, so I'm not an expert in resolving it. I'm just trying to keep this guide as up-to-date as I can.

It's hard to brick your Xoom. Just go slow, be prepared and you'll do fine. Plus, there's a lot of people that will help you if you do get stuck.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to okantomi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2012, 05:59 PM   |  #279  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Yes.
I did it, my man!!!!!! Wooooow. I'm just a noob, but I did it. Thank you so much.
I'm testing the last EOS Nightlies because of you, thanks again.
9th April 2012, 10:04 PM   |  #280  
Member
Flag Tel Aviv
Thanks Meter: 0
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvlserevere

I did it, my man!!!!!! Wooooow. I'm just a noob, but I did it. Thank you so much.
I'm testing the last EOS Nightlies because of you, thanks again.

woot what have you done, have you fastboot into an earlier android ver?

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, tiamat recovery, universal xoom root
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes