Your next tablet.???

3rd April 2012, 01:44 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 89

472 posts
More
I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad 1838-25U with an active digitzer. It has similar specs and most dual-core tablets but for some reason it's faster less laggy than the A500. I like being and to write down something while using my tablet something I could not do with the A500 or any other Android device I own.
3rd April 2012, 01:51 PM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 0

37 posts
More
Thumbs up
My wife is using de A500 now.
I have the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0 now, superior screen and much faster with Android 2.3.6

The size is no problem, I'm using it during my travel to and from work with the train. No extra bags needed, it fits in my pocket
4th April 2012, 12:35 AM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 2

67 posts
More
The Transformer Prime is really attractive to me right now but at $600+ with the keyboard dock its just too expensive for a marginal improvement over my A500.

I will continue to look towards Asus when I consider my next tablet - probably around x-mas 2012 or spring 2013 - they certainly seem to be the leader in the Android Tab segment.

With the upcoming Google Tablet, the recent release of iPad3, and the upcoming release of ARM based Windoze 8 tablets I expect all Android tabs to come down in price by ~100 for Xmas this year. If I could purchase the low end Transformer prime with the keyboard dock for around 400 that might persuade me.

Perhaps I would wait as long as summer 2013 for a much improved Transformer Prime shipping with Jellybean, a higher resolution screen and faster hardware.
4th April 2012, 02:29 AM   |  #54  
Flag Napa, Ca
Thanks Meter: 10

104 posts
More
None. Until something changes to make these things WAY more useable. It just isnt great at anything I do. For $500 bucks ill just keep buying laptops every couple of years.

We boughtthis one as my wife was hoping to be able to do her homework on it while at things with the kids and whatnot but it didn't pan out and it just doesn't work. So we ended up buying a laptop also. I took over this thing just as a toy and surfing on the couch but Id rather be using the laptop on the couch or just sitting in front of the actual computer.
4th April 2012, 05:00 PM   |  #55  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
I see a lot of people posting about how there is nothing the A500 can't do. This may be true for most people, but I'd like to chime in as someone who uses thier tablet every single day for multiple things. While the tablet is a great technology, there is still room for improvement:

I use my tablet for:

• Watching videos/movies/tv - Very Good
  • Writing emails - Good; better with ICS (spellcheck)
  • Browsing the web - Good; Better with ICS (less latency). Would be great with a stronger WiFi radio.
  • Video Chat - Poor; Could be better with a better mic or with bluetooth HSP support.
  • PDF technical drawings and blueprints. - Poor. This is actually what I got the tablet for, originally. Large documents is where the lack of processing power shows. Even with the fastest PDF software (Repligo), it's still sluggish with larger PDFs.
  • Note taking - Good if you have a keyboard handy, but hand notes are out of the question. The built in keyboard is too impractical. Would be much better if the technology could support a fine point stylus, but capacitive screens are only just starting to support them (see Galaxy Note). Large stylus' suck. If I want something with a tip 1/4 inch in diameter, I have ten of them attached to my hands.
  • Navigation - Mediocre. With a barely functioning GPS (on stock ROM) and no real practical dashboard holder accessory option (suction cup indeed!), you pretty much have to be a tinkerer for this to be an option. Root access and a proficiency with tools is pretty much required.
  • Tethering - Ad-Hoc WiFi hot-spotting is still the only real option, and only available if you root. Bluetooth can be made to work, but it's unstable, and USB tethering is still not officially supported.
  • Photo editing - Mediocre; mostly due to the lack of good apps.
  • Document editing - Mediocre to decent, depending on if you have a keyboard and mouse handy.

Don't get me wrong, the first generation HC's have some very good offerings, but there is major room for improvement. I might be skipping a generation, but I will be looking at a new tablet in the future.
7th April 2012, 12:00 AM   |  #56  
Flag Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks Meter: 313

2,801 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well after reading android centrals little snippet about an asus Google tablet with tegra three and aiming for a sub 250 price tag that might be to hard to pass up

OEM fastboot unlock or something like that

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
8th April 2012, 05:13 AM   |  #57  
Thanks Meter: 11

313 posts
If I'm ever going to buy a new tablet it would be a Google Nexus tablet just because updates are guaranteed and wouldn't have wait for OEMs to send them out. The OTAs would come from Google directly. Any Android device I buy would be a Legacy device. Done with non stock devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
Last edited by nasimdejai; 8th April 2012 at 05:55 AM.
8th April 2012, 05:28 AM   |  #58  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 104

562 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasimdejai

If I'm ever going to buy a new tablet it would be a galaxy Nexus tablet just because updates are guaranteed and wouldn't have wait for OEMs to send them out. The OTAs would come from Google directly. Any Android device I buy would be a Legacy device. Done with non stock devices

don't you mean google nexus tablet? i think i'm torn between the tf300t and the acer iconia a510 as my first tablet. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. its hard to know which one to go for. i guess i will have to go mess with them both at best buy to see which one i like. asus does an excellent job with updates so thats a good sign.
8th April 2012, 05:54 AM   |  #59  
Thanks Meter: 11

313 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblah

don't you mean google nexus tablet? i think i'm torn between the tf300t and the acer iconia a510 as my first tablet. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. its hard to know which one to go for. i guess i will have to go mess with them both at best buy to see which one i like. asus does an excellent job with updates so thats a good sign.

Sorry, I meant "Google Nexus Tablet" not "Galaxy Nexus Tablet". Thanks for the correction

9th April 2012, 11:55 PM   |  #60  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
I will be looking closely at the ibm/lenevo tablets. The thinkpad tablet is, imo, the best current gen tablet out there at the moment.

I think the next major step will be the incorporation of a fine point stylus. The current stylus's are as thick as a finger and don't offer much advantage. But the galaxy note and the newer tablets appear to be changing that.

It will be nice when you can actually use a tablet as a practical notepad. Right now, it's just a little too flaky.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread