FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] Omnia 7 x Lumia 800

668 posts
Thanks Meter: 138
 
By xpc21, Senior Member on 21st March 2012, 02:40 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So, I have an Omnia 7 and am really happy with it, I think it's a great phone with a great operating system, even if it is a phone that was launched in 2010, I think it is still modern and up to date.

Now, I bought a Nokia N9 and really liked the display and finishing materials so
I started thinking what could be if WP had it, then imagine what could
be Lumia 800...

Well, comparing both phones i check that:

3G Network Frequencies:

Lumia 800: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
Omnia 7: HSDPA 900 / 2100

Dimensions and Weight:

Lumia 800: 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1 mm, 76.1 cc 142g
Omnia 7: 122.4 x 64.2 x 11 mm 138g

Display:

Lumia 800: AMOLED 16M colors 480 x 800 pixels, 3.7 inches (~252 ppi pixel density)
Omnia 7: Super AMOLED 16M colors 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)

Camera:

Lumia 800: 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, dual-LED flash
Omnia 7: 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash

Chipset, CPU and GPU:

Lumia 800: Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon 1.4 GHz Scorpion Adreno 205
Omnia 7: Qualcomm QSD8250 Snapdragon 1 GHz Scorpion Adreno 200

Battery:

Lumia 800: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1450 mAh (BV-5JW)
Omnia 7: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1500 mAh


Well, i got this results and what i think that:

Lumia 800 wins in 3G network, camera and Chipset,CPU and GPU
Omnia 7 wins in display and battery

What u thinks guys? Does it worth changing? If anynone could help me with good facts, i really appreciate.

Thanks!
 
 
21st March 2012, 03:16 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Shropshire
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
I have had an Omnia 7 since November 2010 - It's been great but I've had terrible network troubles since the Mango update.

I'm now due an upgrade and I think I will be going for the Lumia 800.

I was going to wait for the 900 but I really don't think I'd want anything bigger than the Omnia 7 which is already borderline in terms of size for me. The 800 is gorgeous in person and feels great in the hand. Plus Nokia seem to actually care about their users.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freypal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st March 2012, 04:13 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypal

I was going to wait for the 900 but I really don't think I'd want anything bigger than the Omnia 7 which is already borderline in terms of size for me.

That's obviously a matter of personal preference and hand size.

I, for example, find 4.3 the ideal screen size, and some additional bulk does not bother me. Also, 900 does not use pentile, which is a big plus for me, since i read a lot on the phone.
21st March 2012, 07:13 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Shropshire
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.o.r

That's obviously a matter of personal preference and hand size.

I, for example, find 4.3 the ideal screen size, and some additional bulk does not bother me. Also, 900 does not use pentile, which is a big plus for me, since i read a lot on the phone.

I've never had an issue with the pentile display and I also read a lot on mine using the kindle app for example.
21st March 2012, 09:10 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypal

I've never had an issue with the pentile display and I also read a lot on mine using the kindle app for example.

Well, it's not really THAT bad, but the text DOES look noticeably clearer on the RGB screen when you compare side by side.
21st March 2012, 09:48 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Shropshire
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.o.r

Well, it's not really THAT bad, but the text DOES look noticeably clearer on the RGB screen when you compare side by side.

Ah fair dos Never compared one side by side
28th March 2012, 12:57 PM |#7  
Member
Flag Skien
Thanks Meter: 6
 
Donate to Me
More
Nokia Apps
I have omnia 7, too, and its great. I love the amoled display with its great colors, and that is the big difference entering the nokia and the samsung.
But Nokia provides some special apps like maps, drive and (new) public transport.
This might be an advantage if you dont plan to flash or unlock ur device...
28th March 2012, 01:48 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadenfisch95

I have omnia 7, too, and its great. I love the amoled display with its great colors, and that is the big difference entering the nokia and the samsung.
But Nokia provides some special apps like maps, drive and (new) public transport.
This might be an advantage if you dont plan to flash or unlock ur device...

Nokia Lumia also uses amoled.
The Following User Says Thank You to d.a.v.o.r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th April 2012, 04:08 PM |#9  
Member
Flag Skien
Thanks Meter: 6
 
Donate to Me
More
Sorry @d.a.v.o.r , i meant to say super amoled, wich is Standing against a amoled Display in the Nokia lumia 800

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express
9th April 2012, 02:20 AM |#10  
DJBlaster-303's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bologna
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
the word upgrade for me should be if you buy a lumia 900 or htc titan

i don't even consider omnia W
14th April 2012, 06:14 PM |#11  
Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Thumbs up
I've just upgraded from Omnia 7 to Lumia 800.. the 3g issue finally got to me & then Samsung said 3 weeks to fix.. so purelygadgets had one at 340 (their service is great BTW & a UK spec as well).

The Lumia is a great upgrade I think..
Improvements:
the call quality is noticeably superior
Performance (90 vs 60 on WPBench);
the battery lasts 50-100% longer;
music (over BT at least)
Build quality
Camera - especially w/flash..
Nokia apps - Nokia Drive & Creative Studio especially.
Disadvantages
No Removable battery - sufficiently worried to go & buy an auxillary battery from Amazon for 20.

The screen is pretty equal - the better black of the Lumia vs the slightly bigger Sammy.

I have none of the reported issues - loose keys , poor battery poor Bass; perhaps that's because it's been out 6 months & they've sorted out the issues.

lastly its' obvious Nokia is much more committed to WP7 & phones in general - so will keep the phone updated with new features as they roll out..
The Following User Says Thank You to johnny.g For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes