Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,250 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which ROM did you install?
Kin3tix 25 14.62%
Eclipse 121 70.76%
Liberty 25 14.62%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

[GUIDE][N00B]Step-By-Step ROOT/Update/ROM Instructions + 902 Update Info (5/18/12)

Tip us?

spudland
Old
Thanks Meter 1
When you dual boot does your phone have to download every app and take up twice the space?

Tucknology
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudland View Post
When you dual boot does your phone have to download every app and take up twice the space?
Yes, but this doesn't take up as much room as you might think. Mine uses roughly an additional 1GB because of the dual systems. Considering you have 32GB available storage (I have 48GB due to larger SD card) this is a small sacrifice for the convenience/protection of the dualboot. Safestrap is very smart about how it handles this data, I believe it is compressed (not sure about all the technical details, ask hashc0de if you want).

Strictly speaking, you're not dual booting, but in concept it is a similar idea. Just use safestrap. Trust me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tucknology For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spudland
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckmobile View Post
Yes, but this doesn't take up as much room as you might think. Mine uses roughly an additional 1GB because of the dual systems. Considering you have 32GB available storage (I have 48GB due to larger SD card) this is a small sacrifice for the convenience/protection of the dualboot. Safestrap is very smart about how it handles this data, I believe it is compressed (not sure about all the technical details, ask hashc0de if you want).

Strictly speaking, you're not dual booting, but in concept it is a similar idea. Just use safestrap. Trust me.
Any idea of where exactly the backups of the original system reside (folder/location/name)...Long story but I made two and need to delete one because my phone has almost no memory left except for the SD card.

Tucknology
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudland View Post
Any idea of where exactly the backups of the original system reside (folder/location/name)...Long story but I made two and need to delete one because my phone has almost no memory left except for the SD card.
I believe they are located on the internal sd card in the \safestrap\ folder. Safestrap also uses the preinstall partition, but I really don't know to what extent or what that means. Anyway, if you need to free up space I strongly recommend moving files to your computer (or other storage device) rather than deleting them, just in case.

sevron
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckmobile View Post
Best way to unroot is to FXZ back to stock.
FXZ? That a recovery manager or something? Would that require a full erase though?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted, TWRP, LiquidSmooth 4.4.2
Tablet: Nexus 7 8gb - Unlocked, Rooted, Stock 4.3; Nexus 7 2013 16gb - Rooted, Unlocked, Waiting for Official 4.4
Past Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Unlocked, Rooted, ParanoidAndroid3; Motorola Droid Bionic - Rooted, Stock 6.7.232; LG Revolution - Rooted, Stock

z2akuma
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wasn't there an app/batch filewhatever that automated in reverting the bionic back to stock with just a few clicks? What happened to that? Why was it removed?

guessimanoob
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default ROM not listed in safestrap

I am on step #21 using safestrap and chose eclipse in the earlier step. Here in the SD card menu I do not see the rom listed. I looked under both internal and external SD and it isn't anywhere. Furthermore, since I don't know how to back out of the menu without selecting a rom I am stuck right here... afraid to move forward or back

eye__dea
Old
(Last edited by eye__dea; 11th April 2012 at 02:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akuma View Post
Wasn't there an app/batch filewhatever that automated in reverting the bionic back to stock with just a few clicks? What happened to that? Why was it removed?
It is still in the OP.
"Finally, if you get cold feet and decide you want to do a complete restore to stock, here is the tool you need...http://www.droidhive.com/forums/inde...ndowslinuxmac/"
It is right before the credits.
You can use this tool, RSDlite 5.6, or moto-fastboot the specific images from the fxz.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by guessimanoob View Post
I am on step #21 using safestrap and chose eclipse in the earlier step. Here in the SD card menu I do not see the rom listed. I looked under both internal and external SD and it isn't anywhere. Furthermore, since I don't know how to back out of the menu without selecting a rom I am stuck right here... afraid to move forward or back
Still stuck?
I am pretty sure it would be okay to go back to the unsafe side (stock) and re-download the ROM of choice. Are you downloading through the stock browser?

However, You can download the ROM to your PC and then just use the USB port to flash the ROM on your safe side. If you want to go this route... PM Timmy10shoes and see if he can help you through the process. He has helped me with this before.
The Following User Says Thank You to eye__dea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zazu9099
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hey guys went to use motofail on droid bionic didnt work, what now?

Tucknology
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazu9099 View Post
hey guys went to use motofail on droid bionic didnt work, what now?
Need more info to give helpful advice. How do you know it didn't work? What is your setup? Did you follow the instructions?