Post Reply

[Q] Possible Low Memory Problems?

9th April 2012, 03:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
So I'm currently running a clean EC07 ROM, downloaded from the dev section of our forum. I originally was using Miunia and loved it, up until the FCing became just ridiculous and my home screen would act weird. So, about 2 weeks ago, I flashed the clean EC07 in the hopes of solving these issues.

A few FCs still occur, but not as often as when I had Miunia, so I'm willing to overlook that. My main concern now is the home screen issue. Basically, whenever I back out of an app that I've been using for a while (like 5 minutes or longer), my home screen will appear completely blank, and I have to wait almost 5 seconds for everything to reappear on my home screens. I only have 3 home screens, and mostly app shortcuts, along with a weather widget, flashlight, and screen filter.

I understand that this probably looks foolish, considering how short the wait time appears to be. But I don't understand why my phone does it. My phone started doing this after Miunia; I have no idea if the cause stems from that or some other issue. Either way, I was hoping someone could help me figure out why and how to solve it.

I thought it might have something to do with RAM, since our phone only has like 338 MB. My phone usually sits with about 80-90 MB of free RAM on average. Not sure if this is normal, but that's how it is consistently. If you guys need more info to help me out, please ask! I'll give you any info you need.

Thanks!
9th April 2012, 05:29 AM   |  #2  
samuelhadams's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
291 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaj07

So I'm currently running a clean EC07 ROM, downloaded from the dev section of our forum. I originally was using Miunia and loved it, up until the FCing became just ridiculous and my home screen would act weird. So, about 2 weeks ago, I flashed the clean EC07 in the hopes of solving these issues.

A few FCs still occur, but not as often as when I had Miunia, so I'm willing to overlook that. My main concern now is the home screen issue. Basically, whenever I back out of an app that I've been using for a while (like 5 minutes or longer), my home screen will appear completely blank, and I have to wait almost 5 seconds for everything to reappear on my home screens. I only have 3 home screens, and mostly app shortcuts, along with a weather widget, flashlight, and screen filter.

I understand that this probably looks foolish, considering how short the wait time appears to be. But I don't understand why my phone does it. My phone started doing this after Miunia; I have no idea if the cause stems from that or some other issue. Either way, I was hoping someone could help me figure out why and how to solve it.

I thought it might have something to do with RAM, since our phone only has like 338 MB. My phone usually sits with about 80-90 MB of free RAM on average. Not sure if this is normal, but that's how it is consistently. If you guys need more info to help me out, please ask! I'll give you any info you need.

Thanks!

Try wiping dalvik cache to help stop the force closes.
12th April 2012, 12:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhadams

Try wiping dalvik cache to help stop the force closes.

Didn't really help. Still having FC issues. And any ideas about the empty home screen? Should I find a different ROM? I'm getting tired of these problems.
12th April 2012, 12:17 AM   |  #4  
Txwolf1980's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville Tx
Thanks Meter: 212
 
894 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaj07

Didn't really help. Still having FC issues. And any ideas about the empty home screen? Should I find a different ROM? I'm getting tired of these problems.

What launcher are you using?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2
12th April 2012, 12:50 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txwolf1980

What launcher are you using?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

I was using Touchwiz. Just switched to Zeam yesterday to see if it would help. Still happening.
12th April 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #6  
Txwolf1980's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville Tx
Thanks Meter: 212
 
894 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
OK. let me ask you this. Is there any reason you seem to be hellbent on 07, as opposed to moving to 09? I used to have that same issue with anything but go launcher, on 07. I'm on 09, now, running tw and the only time it has to reload (what is happening is it's being cleared out of cache to make room for other apps) is when I play draw something.

My solution to you, would be to back up your apps, any texts you want, and make sure your contacts are synced with google, then revert to dl17 stock, ota the ec09 update, then move to one of the ec09 prerooted roms, be it ciscogees (you'd have to debloat that one yourself) or one of Pat's, which are debloated already, and his debellaire has Trailblazers mods incorporated, already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Txwolf1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2012, 03:26 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Lol. I'm not hellbent on staying on EC07. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of DL17 to EC09 to rooted EC09. Seemed too cumbersome a process. I also don't know the difference between EC07 and EC09 so I didn't see any advantages in going through that process.

Which specific ROM are you currently running? It sounds like you have minimal problems and that's exactly what I want.
14th April 2012, 01:32 PM   |  #8  
Txwolf1980's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville Tx
Thanks Meter: 212
 
894 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaj07

Lol. I'm not hellbent on staying on EC07. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of DL17 to EC09 to rooted EC09. Seemed too cumbersome a process. I also don't know the difference between EC07 and EC09 so I didn't see any advantages in going through that process.

Which specific ROM are you currently running? It sounds like you have minimal problems and that's exactly what I want.

First, the process sounds a lot more cumbersome than it is. The whole thing (once I had the files) took me about 30 minutes, including the ota. Second, 07 was a good rom, for a leak. But, it was still a leak, with all the bugs associated with it. A lot of those bugs, including your memory issues, were fixed with 09. I'd recommend the ota route. But, if you can't/don't want to go that way, there are options. Abby has a full package, and trailblazer extracted the update files. I'm on my own rom. But it is pretty much identical to ciscogee's rom. They were made with the same method (hence the reason I never posted mine). If you want it, I'll crate a post linking it. If not, go with one of the three I mentioned. And, if you want help doing this, I'll be glad to work with you.


Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by Txwolf1980; 14th April 2012 at 01:34 PM.
14th April 2012, 07:51 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
178 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Okay. You've convinced me. So my first step is to flash stock DL17 from the forum, do the OTA, then flash a prerooted EC09? I don't care about my apps, I can just redownload and install them. Most of that data's in the cloud anyways. Contacts are fine with Verizon's Wireless Assistant. Pictures are on my SD card. But how can I save my texts? Is there a specific app you recommend?
14th April 2012, 08:21 PM   |  #10  
Txwolf1980's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville Tx
Thanks Meter: 212
 
894 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaj07

Okay. You've convinced me. So my first step is to flash stock DL17 from the forum, do the OTA, then flash a prerooted EC09? I don't care about my apps, I can just redownload and install them. Most of that data's in the cloud anyways. Contacts are fine with Verizon's Wireless Assistant. Pictures are on my SD card. But how can I save my texts? Is there a specific app you recommend?

Sms backup. Search that on market, or play, or whatever the hell they wanna cal it. That is what I use (blue icon). Run it, and you'll be good. If you dont want the hassle of downloading all your apps again, the app manager section of rom toolbox, or titanium backup are both good. Choose "app + data" on the options, and you won't have to reenter account data, or redo preferences.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to Txwolf1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes