Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 49,666 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lumia 900 Headphone Compatability

Tip us?

kkrull
Old
(Last edited by kkrull; 20th May 2012 at 05:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Lumia 900 Headphone Compatability

As a thank you to everyone who submitted input on this topic I created the attached spreadsheet. Let me know if I have any information wrong.

------------------------------------------------------

(Original Post)

I have a pair of Skullcandy Aviators, which other than listening in stereo have no functionality. I am curious about other Skullcandy and other branded headphones. I would appreciate it if anyone would chime in with their own headphone experiences:

SKULLCANDY AVIATORS
Stereo music - yes
Stereo (dual-mono) calls - yes
Mic - no
Track skip - no
Track rewind - no
Volume up - no
Volume down - no
Call pickup - no
Call hangup - no
Nokia Lumia 920
rMBP running Windows 8 EFI

Previously Nokia Lumia 900, Samsung Focus, iMate SP5, Motorola S9 Pro, Win 7 Ultimate Macbook Pro

Seed 2.0
Old
Thanks Meter 18
The Nokia Purity by Monster in ear work for:

Mic: Yes
Vol: Yes
Play/Pause: Yes
Call pickup - Yes
Call hangup - Yes
Master Search: Yes (Hold center button down) Make calls, search, open app, etc..

But sound bad for anything not based centered.

waltah!
Old
Thanks Meter 18
The over the ear Purity HD's sound pretty decent. More natural and not as bass heavy as Beats. They are made to control everything listed above.
iPhone 5 (soon to be HTC One)

937dytboi
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I have the bowers and Wilkins p5. The inline buttons didn't work for my dvp and I doubt it will be any different for the lumia 900 since the b&w were geared for iPhones. But I will try and give my feedback here soon. I think the only thing that worked on my dvp and the b&w were Te mute button. I could receive a call but they couldn't hear me.

I have been trying to contact monster so I can ge a replacement inline cable from their HD purity. Cut the inline control off of that and fan my own to work with the b&w

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

jmerrey
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I have the purity hd on-ear (not the in-ear), and the inline remote only works fully when the phone is unlocked, or on the lockscreen but not asleep. When the phone is asleep the volume will work all the time, the single press pause/play will work about 50% of the time, and the next/previous double/triple press works about 10% of the time. Needless to say, I'm amazingly upset about this. I'm taking them to the AT&T store in the morning to see if it's just my phone or all lumia 900's. Since this problem is amazingly similar to the problem I had with my Focus S, I'm suspicious to say the least.

A guy on wpcentral.com said the in-ears work completely all the time.

hdskifreak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default B & W C5: No workie

I was seduced by the B&W C5 and they have the iphone only disease.
The sound is just about perfect, which is why is so disappointing.
The worst part is that the connector layout not only prevents the in line mic from working, but the handset mic as well, so it's a 22X killer!

Play controls work
Volume control does NOT work
Mic does NOT work

naplesbill
Old
Thanks Meter 51
The headphones I have from my Titan work perfectly. Play, Volume, and Mic all work. Even on the lock screen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
It doesn't matter if you have an Android, iOS, WP7, or any other OS based device. Just enjoy what you have and share with the rest of us.

SDreamer
Old
Thanks Meter 1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OE...4213378&sr=8-1 these HTC ones work with all the controls.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
HP Touchsmart tm2t-2100CTO with Windows 8 Professional
Nokia Lumia 900 (Prev: HTC Fuze) w/ Windows Phone 7.8 (7.10.8862.144)
Nook Color w/ CM10.1 RC1

jdigital007
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I picked up the over the ears on launch at ATT and returned them the next day. I purchased the in-ears from amazon and LOVE them.

Sound quality is good on both. I just did not like the over the ear feel and the controls did not work very well on them. I thought they were uncomfortable after a few hours of wear and had a terrible whistle from the wind.

The in ears are one of the best pairs of in-ears I have had. I am comparing them to SKull Candy and Ultimate ears.

They also match the phone rather nice and both have a really nice cord that wont tangle.

Also- The headphones that came with my Focus worked 100% with all the controls and dont sound too bad either. The Purity are way better. Worth the $100 price tag and Amazon overnighted them to me for only $3. Free 2 day shipping with prime.
Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 on ATT

jmerrey
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Ditto for the purity in-ears here. They sound pretty good, and the controller works perfectly. I have no idea why the purity on-ears controller is so spotty, but whatever.
My only complaint is that the flat cable makes it difficult to wrap behind/over the ears to eliminate the thump bump, but otherwise I'm liking them alot.