Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Where the hell did my messages go?

OP h3rmanmunst3r

9th April 2012, 06:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
Ok so I had just received a text. Went to open from the notification bar and when I did it just took me to the message home screen saying "no conversations". I tried using Handcent to see if it was a glitch in default app but nothing there. Tried restarting and powering off phone. Nothing!

But what's weird is that there is no way in hell it could have actually deleted all those messages that fast (I had a 1500 message thread with one person alone). It's almost as if it just lost access to them.

Yes my phone is rooted and I believe I'm running one of the AOKP roms (been a while since I switched that's why I'm not completely positive)

Never had anything like this happen before, I know the messages have to be there somewhere, it's impossible for a phone this slow to just instantly delete over 2000-3000 messages.

Thanks for any help!
10th April 2012, 04:21 AM   |  #2  
Flag Michigan City, IN
Thanks Meter: 930

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3rmanmunst3r

Ok so I had just received a text. Went to open from the notification bar and when I did it just took me to the message home screen saying "no conversations". I tried using Handcent to see if it was a glitch in default app but nothing there. Tried restarting and powering off phone. Nothing!

But what's weird is that there is no way in hell it could have actually deleted all those messages that fast (I had a 1500 message thread with one person alone). It's almost as if it just lost access to them.

Yes my phone is rooted and I believe I'm running one of the AOKP roms (been a while since I switched that's why I'm not completely positive)

Never had anything like this happen before, I know the messages have to be there somewhere, it's impossible for a phone this slow to just instantly delete over 2000-3000 messages.

Thanks for any help!

Dont quote me on it but i think text messages are stored in a database in the /data/data/com.android.messaging. I removed messaging from mine and use handcent so i cant really look. Just look for something in /data/data with messaging in the name.
10th April 2012, 07:58 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 87

446 posts
More
I've had that happen on my original Droid a few times. I think it's caused by a low space thing, (which is extremely common on this device) and I've never found a way to get the texts back if they weren't backed up somewhere else. I agree with you that it's odd how quickly it can delete that many texts, though.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
11th April 2012, 01:52 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

Cmlusco, Yea I checked /data/data and there was nothing there.

godsmacked, But shouldn't I have gotten a low space warning beforehand? My phone seemed fine at the time of doing this. But whatever, I had nothing important there that I needed.

But I still hate having lost all of them, maybe I'm just sentimental and liked having some of those convos. Especially since one was with a special girl (gay I know but whatever)
11th April 2012, 02:08 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,324

8,051 posts
More
That happened to my friend who has an Inc as well. I don't see any way to get them back. SMS backup works I think or you can download go SMS to backup as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
11th April 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

36 posts
More
I can verify this happened to me several times using the stock OS. Never happened after I rooted/CM7'd it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread