Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,014 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help...Deleted APN settings.

Tip us?

Essem
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Help...Deleted APN settings.

I've been having issues with MMS and downloaded APN Backup and Restore and stupidly accidentally deleted the APN settings without doing a backup. I can't for the life of me find anything about the default settings for a bionic on verizon. I found a couple sites listing verizon settings and have tried adding a new APN with those settings but nothing I do seems to give me 3G/4G back. I'm currently running the latest version of Eclipse. Would flashing back to stock reset the APN settings?

86shelby
Old
Thanks Meter 16
If you have another phone, you could switch to it and reactivate your bionic.

Essem
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well i'm about to try resetting to stock and see if that works. I shall try your suggestion if it doesn't.

86shelby
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Won't work...

jedi453
Old
(Last edited by jedi453; 4th February 2012 at 10:11 PM.) Reason: Specified I have a Bionic
Thanks Meter 2
Hi,

Before you try anything below, I would do a full backup, download the files needed to install Eclipse, do a full factory reset through CWM, and reflash Eclipse. It looks like you were already going to do that, but I just want to clarify that what I suggest below should probably be included in the ROM anyway.

Unfortunately I'm no expert at this, so this comes with the disclaimer that it may not work. I recommend you do a full phone backup and a backup from "APN Backup and Restore" before trying this, although I see no reason why it should be harmful. At worst it just probably wont improve anything... Of course I'm not at fault if this doesn't work or messes things up. All these settings were collected from my phone. My research into this suggests they are not phone specific ( I have a Droid Bionic too though, just to clarify ) , but instead carrier-specific.

There's an application in the market called "APN Manager", start by downloading that, it's free.

Open the app ( shouldn't require superuser ) and go to "APN List" in the bottom menu, open it, scroll down to "Verizon Internet" (there's 2 of them, do one then the other) and open it ( long press, and select edit ). If it doesn't have the settings below, change them to those. If it doesn't exist, go to the "Insert APN" option in the application's root, name it "Verizon Internet" (without quotes) and enter the following (The entry is listed first then the value, the settings are listed in the order I see them, leave anything that's unlisted blank, there's no spaces in any of the values. I put some spaces in the MMSCs because they register as urls to XDA and I've only done one previous post so I can't put urls. For the same reason, you'll have to replace "(colon)" with a ":" and "(dot)" with a ".". Sorry for the inconvenience. ):
Create/modify the first entry titled "Verizon Internet"
APN: VZINTERNET
MMSC: http(colon)// mms(dot) vtext(dot) com /servlets/ mms
MCC: 310
MNC: 004
APN Type: default,mms,dun

Next create/modify the second entry titled "Verizon Internet"
APN: VZINTERNET
MMSC: http(colon)// mms(dot) vtext(dot) com/ servlets/ mms
MCC: 311
MNC: 480
APN Type: default,mms,dun

Next create/modify the first entry titled "Verizon IMS"
APN: VZWIMS
APN Type: ims

Next create/modify the second entry titled "Verizon IMS"
APN: VZWIMS
APN Type: ims

Next create/modify the first entry titled "Verizon FOTA"
APN: VZWADMIN
APN Type: fota

Next create/modify the second entry titled "Verizon FOTA"
APN: VZWADMIN
APN Type: fota

Next create/modify the first entry titled "Verizon CBS"
APN: VZWAPP
MMC: 310
MNC 004
APN Type: cbs,hipri

Next create/modify the first entry titled "Verizon CBS"
APN: VZWAPP
APN Type: cbs,hipri

Next, enable only the second "Verizon Internet" entry you put in by going to the APN list in the app and tapping it.

Next I would enable airplane mode, wait for it to show up in the notification bar, then disable it. If that doesn't work, I would reboot. If that still doesn't work, I would dial *228 and try to re-activate your phone.

These settings seem to work for me. Hopefully they work for you. Again I'm not an expert with APN settings, but I've spent a good 3 hours researching this... This would seem to be all that needs to be set for APN to work. Again given where these settings are placed ( /data /data / com. android .providers .telephony /databases /telephony.db , without spaces) and that they seem to be carrier specific, not phone specific, all indications are that these should be in your ROMs .zip file, so formatting and reflashing that may be a better idea.

I'm happy to do research into this more if it helps, so if I completely looked over something please just let me know and I can look into it.

Good luck,
jedi453

Note: I apologize to the mods if putting in links as done above is considered wrong. I just spent hours researching and typing this post and since the urls aren't spamming I figure it's ok

johnnyzero2
Old
(Last edited by johnnyzero2; 10th April 2012 at 03:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up Thanks, jedi453!

You saved my life by pointing me in the right direction. The APN list on my Bionic got whacked by a poorly-behaved app, and it completely trashed all my network connections - no mobile data, no MMS send/receive, etc.

I used a slightly different method to restore the default APN list. Luckily, my wife & I have his 'n hers Bionics. First, I installed APN Backup & Restore on both phones. Then I did an APN list backup on my wife's phone, transferred the XML backup file to the proper folder on my phone, and then restored my APN list from that file. Reboot...Voila... all my network connections are working again.

The Verizon entries mentioned in your post are 100% correct, but my method required a lot less typing & editing.

In case anyone else needs to do the same thing, I've attached a copy of the Bionic's default APN list in XML format.
NOTE: this XML backup file is for use with APN Backup & Restore, not the APN Manager app mentioned in jedi's post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Bionic_APNBackupRestore.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.6 KB, 410 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnnyzero2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]