Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,671 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+] Wayk - An Alarm About Wayking Up

Tip us?

APrinceAmongMen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquinn24 View Post
Here's my input on the beta:24 hr mode is great and the voice recognition for snooze is simply awesome.

Oh wait, I don't have the beta yet. What am I talking about. Silly me

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium
Haha. We're caught up on one last snag.

Maybe you guys can help.

Now the Voice Recognition is phenomenal. A little too great actually. And because of this, the ringtone and vibrator both need to be off once we start listening for speech input.
If the ringtone is on, the engine is unable to recognize any speech.
If the vibrator is on, we get a result of "tst tst tst tst tst" or "ass ass ass ass ass" (literally, that's what it says ).

So we're trying to figure out how to smartly turn on voice recognition and temporarily turn off the ringtone and vibrator while it listens for speech. We've decided to go with the dynamic of picking up the phone, which temporarily silences vibration and ringtone, allowing you to speak to the device. Now, we ran into another snag right here. The vibration interferes with our ability to detect if you picked up the phone since the phone is always shaking.

Another option is to listen with the microphone and temporarily turn off the ringtone and the vibration. We attempted to go with this at first but there is far too much happening. The ringtone is slowly increasing in volume over 15 seconds (somebody requested gentle wayking xD) and the vibration is inconsistent and very loud. This makes it difficult to detect when you start speaking and there still is the question of whether or not this is fast enough at silencing vibrate and ringtone to allow the voice engine to pick up all of your speech input.

So, here are the options ordered by fastest release time to slowest:

1-Remove the vibrate feature, we hate it anyway!
Silence ringtone on pickup to listen for voice input. We could literally get this out in the next 30 minutes if we did this. The downside is no vibrating alarm clock.

2- I want my vibrate, here's another hour or two.
Silence ringtone and vibrate on pickup. You get to keep the vibrate feature, but we spend some more time ironing out these kinks.

3- Shut up and do it like a pro.
No pickup to talk to phone. We use the mic to detect when you start talking and silence the ringtone and vibrate right when you start. The upside is that this is the best way to do it. The downside is that it will take days to do.

4- ???
If you have an idea on how to deal with this, let us know. It may just be the solution.

We currently working at number 2.
Number 3 will definitely be included in a later release if not this one.

What do you think guys?
It is your app after all
Developer at Senti
http://senti.in

Apps:
Wayk by Senti (android alarm clock)
Bubble (stealth mode)
Liva (stealth mode)

mquinn24
Old
(Last edited by mquinn24; 10th April 2012 at 01:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Take your time. We can wait.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

jdiddy_ub
Old
(Last edited by jdiddy_ub; 9th April 2012 at 07:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrinceAmongMen View Post
Haha. We're caught up on one last snag.

Maybe you guys can help.

Now the Voice Recognition is phenomenal. A little too great actually. And because of this, the ringtone and vibrator both need to be off once we start listening for speech input.
If the ringtone is on, the engine is unable to recognize any speech.
If the vibrator is on, we get a result of "tst tst tst tst tst" or "ass ass ass ass ass" (literally, that's what it says ).

So we're trying to figure out how to smartly turn on voice recognition and temporarily turn off the ringtone and vibrator while it listens for speech. We've decided to go with the dynamic of picking up the phone, which temporarily silences vibration and ringtone, allowing you to speak to the device. Now, we ran into another snag right here. The vibration interferes with our ability to detect if you picked up the phone since the phone is always shaking.

Another option is to listen with the microphone and temporarily turn off the ringtone and the vibration. We attempted to go with this at first but there is far too much happening. The ringtone is slowly increasing in volume over 15 seconds (somebody requested gentle wayking xD) and the vibration is inconsistent and very loud. This makes it difficult to detect when you start speaking and there still is the question of whether or not this is fast enough at silencing vibrate and ringtone to allow the voice engine to pick up all of your speech input.

So, here are the options ordered by fastest release time to slowest:

1-Remove the vibrate feature, we hate it anyway!
Silence ringtone on pickup to listen for voice input. We could literally get this out in the next 30 minutes if we did this. The downside is no vibrating alarm clock.

2- I want my vibrate, here's another hour or two.
Silence ringtone and vibrate on pickup. You get to keep the vibrate feature, but we spend some more time ironing out these kinks.

3- Shut up and do it like a pro.
No pickup to talk to phone. We use the mic to detect when you start talking and silence the ringtone and vibrate right when you start. The upside is that this is the best way to do it. The downside is that it will take days to do.

4- ???
If you have an idea on how to deal with this, let us know. It may just be the solution.

We currently working at number 2.
Number 3 will definitely be included in a later release if not this one.

What do you think guys?
It is your app after all
i can live without my alarm clock vibrating...think about it, normal alarm clocks dont vibrate so its not a huge loss...but i think that having to pick up the phone pretty much negates the ease of voice recognition...if i have to reach to pick up my phone anyway pressing the off button isnt that difficult

scenario #3 would be the best...but is there a trigger word or something? (ie snooze or "alarm off") because if any sound disables the alarm clock i can see a lot of people making a noise or saying a word by accident when they hear their alarm and go right back to sleep...

when i first heard of this concept i pictured/assumed that the alarm would go off and i could simply say "alarm off" and it would stop...and thats all i had to do

theres another app in the market that has voice recognition snooze/off...i havent used it...i wonder if they need you to pick up the phone...if not, you guys have some work to do to beat out the competition

APrinceAmongMen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy_ub View Post
i can live without my alarm clock vibrating...think about it, normal alarm clocks dont vibrate so its not a huge loss...

do you have to pick up the phone in order to have the voice recognition work?
We're thinking about no vibrate, but if we can get it to work with it, we'll keep it.

As of right now, we have to do on phone pickup. We need to temporarily silence the alarm while it listens for your voice, otherwise it won't be able to recognize. We're looking into silencing the alarm when you start talking, but it's extremely difficult to tell the difference between your voice and the ringtone.
Developer at Senti

Apps:
Bubble (stealth mode)
Liva (stealth mode)

jdiddy_ub
Old
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
We're thinking about no vibrate, but if we can get it to work with it, we'll keep it.

As of right now, we have to do on phone pickup. We need to temporarily silence the alarm while it listens for your voice, otherwise it won't be able to recognize. We're looking into silencing the alarm when you start talking, but it's extremely difficult to tell the difference between your voice and the ringtone.
is it possible to differentiate between sounds and trigger words or are all sounds (ringtone, your voice) the same? if there is a way to do that you can just set up to recognize a few trigger words

APrinceAmongMen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
The problem is it can't recognize any words while the ringtone is blasting
Developer at Senti

Apps:
Bubble (stealth mode)
Liva (stealth mode)

jdiddy_ub
Old
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The problem is it can't recognize any words while the ringtone is blasting
hmm thats tough..maybe download the other app to see how it works? i dont know if they have a trigger or how the voice recognition works...i havent downloaded it....maybe it will give you an idea?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wakevoice.lite

"The idea is simple: when the alarm rings, you just have to talk to WakeVoice to stop the alarm or activate the reminder."

APrinceAmongMen
Old
(Last edited by APrinceAmongMen; 10th April 2012 at 05:12 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy_ub View Post
hmm thats tough..maybe download the other app to see how it works? i dont know if they have a trigger or how the voice recognition works...i havent downloaded it....maybe it will give you an idea?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wakevoice.lite

"The idea is simple: when the alarm rings, you just have to talk to WakeVoice to stop the alarm or activate the reminder."
WakeVoice just silences your alarm after 5 and activates voice recognition. Then starts ringing again.
I think voice recognition should only start when you're awake/trying to voice command it.
Developer at Senti

Apps:
Bubble (stealth mode)
Liva (stealth mode)

jdiddy_ub
Old
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
WakeVoice just silences your alarm after 5 and activates voice recognition. Then starts ringing again.
I think voice recognition should only start when you're awake/trying to voice command it.
Ideally yeah...seems like its gonna tough to do..if it's even possible

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

chadfend
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Maybe I'm a little slow but am I missing something to set the weather? Both days I've used, it has been zero degrees.

Phone is Samsung Skyrocket. Paid and downloaded app from the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

The Following User Says Thank You to chadfend For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]