Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 42,359 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where the hell did my messages go?

Tip us?

h3rmanmunst3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Where the hell did my messages go?

Ok so I had just received a text. Went to open from the notification bar and when I did it just took me to the message home screen saying "no conversations". I tried using Handcent to see if it was a glitch in default app but nothing there. Tried restarting and powering off phone. Nothing!

But what's weird is that there is no way in hell it could have actually deleted all those messages that fast (I had a 1500 message thread with one person alone). It's almost as if it just lost access to them.

Yes my phone is rooted and I believe I'm running one of the AOKP roms (been a while since I switched that's why I'm not completely positive)

Never had anything like this happen before, I know the messages have to be there somewhere, it's impossible for a phone this slow to just instantly delete over 2000-3000 messages.

Thanks for any help!

cmlusco
Old
Thanks Meter 922

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3rmanmunst3r View Post
Ok so I had just received a text. Went to open from the notification bar and when I did it just took me to the message home screen saying "no conversations". I tried using Handcent to see if it was a glitch in default app but nothing there. Tried restarting and powering off phone. Nothing!

But what's weird is that there is no way in hell it could have actually deleted all those messages that fast (I had a 1500 message thread with one person alone). It's almost as if it just lost access to them.

Yes my phone is rooted and I believe I'm running one of the AOKP roms (been a while since I switched that's why I'm not completely positive)

Never had anything like this happen before, I know the messages have to be there somewhere, it's impossible for a phone this slow to just instantly delete over 2000-3000 messages.

Thanks for any help!
Dont quote me on it but i think text messages are stored in a database in the /data/data/com.android.messaging. I removed messaging from mine and use handcent so i cant really look. Just look for something in /data/data with messaging in the name.
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET

godsmacked4653
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I've had that happen on my original Droid a few times. I think it's caused by a low space thing, (which is extremely common on this device) and I've never found a way to get the texts back if they weren't backed up somewhere else. I agree with you that it's odd how quickly it can delete that many texts, though.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

h3rmanmunst3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the responses guys.

Cmlusco, Yea I checked /data/data and there was nothing there.

godsmacked, But shouldn't I have gotten a low space warning beforehand? My phone seemed fine at the time of doing this. But whatever, I had nothing important there that I needed.

But I still hate having lost all of them, maybe I'm just sentimental and liked having some of those convos. Especially since one was with a special girl (gay I know but whatever)

tiny4579
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,149
That happened to my friend who has an Inc as well. I don't see any way to get them back. SMS backup works I think or you can download go SMS to backup as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

reeseman04
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I can verify this happened to me several times using the stock OS. Never happened after I rooted/CM7'd it.