Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,603 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Thunderbolt Take Apart Repair Guide

Tip us?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 745
Post HTC Thunderbolt Take Apart Repair Guide

If you are planning to repair your HTC Thunderbolt, this take apart repair guide will save you many headaches and hassles. This guide will provide you with all the knowledge to safely and quickly repair your HTC smartphone’s LCD screen and touchscreen glass digitizer.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC Thunderbolt parts:
  • HTC Thunderbolt Touch Screen Glass Digitizer
  • HTC Thunderbolt LCD Display Screen
  • HTC Thunderbolt Front Housing
  • HTC Thunderbolt Volume Button
  • HTC Thunderbolt Loud Speaker
  • HTC Thunderbolt Ear Speaker

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver

HTC Thunderbolt Screen Replacement Repair Guide:[LIST]
  • First step will be to remove the back battery cover, battery, sim card, and memory card. Now remove the six small phillips screws from the back housing. Use a safe pry tool to gently lift the small cover from the bottom of the screen, you can now remove the two small phillips screw hidden underneath.
  • Unclip the front housing from the rest of the phone using your hands or a safe open pry tool. Remove the two small phillips screws that were hidden from the back housing. You can now real ease the clips on the bottom of the frame and completely remove the back housing.

Figure 1
  • Use a safe open pry tool to release the jaw connector from the bottom of the motherboard. Flip the motherboard, being cautious not to damaged the other flex cables. Remove the tape covering the 2 other jaw connectors which can now be released and the motherboard removed.

Figure 2
  • Heat the front of the touch screen using a heat gun or hair dryer. Once the adhesive is warm, pry along the bottom edge and flip the touch screen away from the rest of the phone. Careful as it is still held in place by a flex cable. Warm the adhesive holding the LCD screen in place. Pry the LCD screen away from the metal frame and remove the touch screen and LCD screen from the frame.
  • Peel the digitizers flex cable away from the LCD screen and you can now replace either screen to repair your phone.

Simply reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brandogg
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Did one of these a few months ago, it's actually pretty simple - kind of like a cross between an Inspire/Desire HD and an EVO 4G. I love your site, used several of your videos in the past, and ordered a few times as well.

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandogg View Post
Did one of these a few months ago, it's actually pretty simple - kind of like a cross between an Inspire/Desire HD and an EVO 4G. I love your site, used several of your videos in the past, and ordered a few times as well.
Great! Glad to hear we could help with your repairs!!
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"

BossJ
Old
Thanks Meter 156
just bought a phone off of ebay, used. Is in really good condition, however, the in earpiece speaker is fuzzy and doesn't sound right... You guys don't have a youtube video to replace that, can you tell me how hard it is to get to that? I know instructions come with the piece, but I wish there was a video or a step by step online so I can see exactly how to do it lol

RBarnett09
Old
Thanks Meter 284

DONATE TO ME
Thank you for posting this. I have an LCD to replace in a few days.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S3
LiquidSmooth v3.0-Official (Android 4.4.2)

If someone has ever helped you,
make sure you THANK that person
with the thanks button.
Support your DEVELOPERS and HELPERS.

BULLIT22
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the Info.

dm47
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Could have used this when the screen cracked on my first TB ages ago. Still ended up using it for a long time, but eventually got a replacement. I'll bookmark it though just in case!

Mysticdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 8
The charging port broke on my TB. Any idea how hard that would be to replace? I see that you can get the part for less than $10 some places.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

BULLIT22
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticdroid View Post
The charging port broke on my TB. Any idea how hard that would be to replace? I see that you can get the part for less than $10 some places.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

As long as you can solder, you should be fine. It is pretty small area to work with. Found this, The infor should help some,

http://amazingdiy.wordpress.com/2011...ector-repairs/
The Following User Says Thank You to BULLIT22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djcyph
Old
Thanks Meter 4
any plans on how replace power button? mine was stuck down where power options came up and when trying pry up it completely came off

Tags
htc, repair, screen assembly, screen repair, thundbolt