Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,944 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GPS issues with CM 7.2-RC1

Tip us?

MondoMor
Old
(Last edited by MondoMor; 10th April 2012 at 01:29 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default [Q] GPS issues with CM 7.2-RC1

I just changed from CM 7.1 to 7.2-RC1 on my Aria. I did a full wipe before installing 7.2.

In every other ROM I've ever tried, (stock, attn1's, Gene Poole's, CM7.1), the GPS gets a lock within maybe 15 seconds. Now it takes several minutes. Using the GPS Status app, it seems to find the satellites quickly enough, and I get 6 or more right away. But no lock.
Once I do get a lock, the accuracy is dismal (+/- 60 feet) where it was always much better.

I know I have read about files that can be copied in to fix this; but I can't find those posts after quite a bit of searching.

Would someone please point me to those instructions? Can I pull stuff off the CM71. .zip?

Edit: Whoops, I think this is what I'm after: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3688
The Following User Says Thank You to MondoMor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MondoMor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Weird. I've tried all four of ladios' zips, and there doesn't seem to be much difference. Lock times and accuracy are still worse than 7.1

I know the /system/lib/hw/gps.liberty.so is being changed because the MD5 sums are different (and they match what I calculate on my PC). So I must be installing the .zips correctly.

Is there something else that changed about the GPS in 7.2?

lsusparky621
Old
Thanks Meter 54
I use the htc-stock zip and get an initial lock in 45 seconds, subsequent locks in 10 secs.

Sent from my Liberty using xda premium
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III running Task650 AOKP with Ktoonsez kernel
HTC Aria S-OFF with CM9
Hit the THANKS if my post helped

tommyguns818
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I also use the HTC stock one and get a 5 sec lock. I'm using it with 7.2

j3r3goss
Old
Thanks Meter 190

DONATE TO ME
Htc stock working great here as well.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA

Kot_Ik
Old
Thanks Meter 257
FYI: take a look at this commit and this post, guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kot_Ik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MondoMor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
That is infinitely better, thanks!

The computed accuracy (uncertainty) is still worse than I've experienced in previous ROMs. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was "optimistic" in the past. Even dedicated handheld consumer GPS units don't get 3-foot accuracy after 15 seconds indoors, but that used to happen all the time on the Aria.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe