[TUT]Splash Screen List & How to

Search This thread

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
Hi,

We've got a Diamond Custom RUU thread, a Diamond ROM thread, a Diamond Radio thread... but nothing for splash screen, and nothing on the Wiki. That's why I purpose to create this one. 2 goals :
- share your splash screen
- write a "how to" create his own splash screen for Diamond

I was not able to write this how to... so thx to mugglesquop who guides me (in fact, this how to is, first, for me, cause I still have the splash screen of panosha and, actually, I've got the Tom/Diamond Project ROM :D).

1. what's the splash screen ?
Just read the wiki BootSplash
The BootSplash image, is the image that is displayed when your PocketPC device is starting up
In fact, when your device starts, there's 3 times :
* BootSplash
* Animation (with sound)
* Microsoft Splash Screen

2.a how to change your splash screen ?
For BootSplash, you need 2 files :
- the Diamond Custom RUU
- a splash.nbh files (don't know if the name MUST be "splash.nbh" or can be something else)
Once you've got these 2 files, put them in the same folder, run DiamondCustomRUU.exe & follow instructions as usual for a flash of your Diamond (connect via ActiveSync, etc.).
You'll find in post #3 a list of Diamond splash screen.
You'll find in point #3 the how to create this bootsplash.

2.b how to change the animation ?
Tools :
If you don't already have one, you can use PHM Registry Editor.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/HTC/HTCAnimation
Edit the value StartupWav (by default, it's the BootUpHTC.wav file, located in \Windows) for sound
Edit the value StartupGif (by default, it's the animated.gif file, located in \Windows) for animation

2.c how to change the Microsoft Splash Screen ?
Tools :
If you don't already have one, you can use PHM Registry Editor.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Splash Screen
If this key doesn't exist... create it ;).
Edit the value MSBitmap (I don't know why there's is a CarrierBitmap value with the same value... change it has no effect). By default, it's \Windows\welcomehead.192.png file.

3. how to create your own BootSplash screen (the first one) ?
a. Tools required
i. If not already done, flash your Diamond with Unsigned HardSPL by Olinex
This will hard-reset your device.
ii. Diamond Custom RUU by tom_codon
iii. RSB<->BMP & RSB<->NB tools by Olipro
iv. NB<->NBH tool by Olipro, customized for Diamond by sumitescp
v. PatchSplash by pfcsabre
The 4 last are @attachment of this post.

b. How to
Note that flash your device for changing splash screen won't hard-reset your device. But you should still make a backup ;).

i. Create the wallpaper 480x640
Advice : when the Diamond starts, you can see 3 red lines (R, G, D number versions) : the 100 low pixel are black, whatever your wallpaper... that's why, I suppose, every splash screen I saw are always black ^_^
And you should take care of that (just use the 540 high pixel, and leave the 100 low black).
EDIT : in fact, the 100 below the screen are coming from the older splash screen. See point "iv. bis" to prevent this.

ii. If not already done, convert the image to a .bmp (just use paint and save as a 24 bit bmp)

iii. Run rsbbmp.exe, the RSB<->BMP converter, to convert your .bmp to a .rsb
Just clic on "Add files", select your .bmp files, and then, "convert all"
This will create a .rsb file in the same folder as your .bmp file

iv. Run Splash-RSB Converter.exe, the RSB<->NB converter.
Choose the VGA option. This will create a .nb file in the same folder as your .rsb file

iv. bis Run patchsplash.exe.
This is a command line tool. On Windows, Start Menu->Run... Then, input "cmd.exe" and click "Ok". Go to the folder where you unzip patchsplash.exe with cd command ("cd.." to go to parent folder). You can use "Dir" to display all files/folders in the current folder.
Once you are in the right folder, input "patchsplash.exe D <target .nb file you've just created> <output .nb file>".
The most easier is to cut/paste your initial .nb file in the same folder as patchsplash.exe

v. run NBHutil.exe, the NB<->NBH converter (the NBHUtil.xml file have to be in the same folder as NBHUtil.exe).
On first tab "Build NBH", in the "Target Device" list, choose "Diamond" (at the end of the list).
Then, on the right on the windows, you'll have the "NBH Items". Clic on the "..." button of splash item. An "Open" windows pops up : select the .nb file that you just created. Finally, clic on button "Build NBH!"
This will create a .nbh file (in the location that you choose).
The size is 616 442 bytes. If you ran PatchSplash.exe (point iv. bis), the size should be 655 360 bytes.

6. Copy/paste this file in the same folder as DiamonCustomRUU.exe, run it & follow instructions as usual for a flash of your Diamond.

7. Enjoy :)

4. thanx to all those who helped me write this post : Olipro, cmonex, tom_codon, mugglesquop, zmob123, sumitescp, pfcsabre & Windoze9t8 (for beta test ^_^)

Flash directly from your PPC
To prevent brick (and save time), you could read the suiller tuto.

Last edited:

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
Here is a list of BootSplash screen :
- mine @attachment of this post
- sumitescp

Attachments

• Splash-Homer.jpg
    Splash-Homer.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,932
  • Splash-Homer.zip
    722.1 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

R3PUBL1K

Jun 7, 2007
ɒzəl.twɪzəl
Works well but there are loads of this information about already on this forum. Your efforts are appreciated though.

Please include the rsbbmp readme.txt in the zip

Attachments

• readme.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
First post edited... I think it's ok now.
Thx mugglesquop & Windoze9t8 (I added the readme & DiamondCustomRUU).

Now, just purpose us your creation (with screen if possible)... I'll edit post #3.
And eventually, you can give us bootsplash, animation & miscrosoft splash screen ;).

Colinvanlier

Jul 26, 2008
Enkhuizen
Is there a way to disable the splash screens totally? (for me Vodafone image and WM6.1 image). Could imagine that would speed the startup a lot. Tried changing the image paths with RegEdit but no joy

R. DevilR

Apr 15, 2008
Belfort
Create a totally black file and use 2.a & 2.b of the how to.
But I'm not sure that I will speed up a lot your startup : during the startup, Windows works... the animation are there only to wait, I think.

Colinvanlier

Jul 26, 2008
Enkhuizen
Ok thanks. It's not the looks I care about but the speed. I remember a tweak in Windows XP, turning off the WinXP Boot Screen made it start up faster, but guess it's not possible in WM

BIGSEQUO

Jul 14, 2008
Old splash visible... why???? help

Hello everyone somebody could explain me why after all successful handling when my telephone starts my start up is visible but all in bottom there is always the old splash screen of visible…. Do I have do something of through?
I am not very strong in English but I make the effort translate my post;):D

Help me, because it is really ugly!:eek:

Bonjour tout le monde est-ce que quelqu'un pourrait m'expliquer pourquoi après toutes les manipulations réussies lorsque mon téléphone démarre mon écran de démarrage est visible mais tout en bas il y a toujours l'ancien fond de visible .... Ai-je fais quelque chose de travers?
Aidez moi, parce que c'est vraiment moche !!!!!!!

Last edited:

sumitescp

Jul 17, 2007
Leicester
Hello everyone somebody could explain me why after all successful handling when my telephone starts my start up is visible but all in bottom there is always the old splash screen of visible…. Do I have do something of through?
I am not very strong in English but I make the effort translate my post;):D

Help me, because it is really ugly!:eek:

Bonjour tout le monde est-ce que quelqu'un pourrait m'expliquer pourquoi après toutes les manipulations réussies lorsque mon téléphone démarre mon écran de démarrage est visible mais tout en bas il y a toujours l'ancien fond de visible .... Ai-je fais quelque chose de travers?
Aidez moi, parce que c'est vraiment moche !!!!!!!

Reflash the splash it might solve the problem.

BIGSEQUO

Jul 14, 2008
as the first time that did not function so I have create a new splash nonfunctional like the first..... i dont understand...
thank for ur quickly answer "sumitescp"

daveone

Oct 20, 2006
Got the same problem as BIGSEQUO... so i want to go back to the original splash!

Can someone provide the original o2 XDA diamond splash screen?