AGPS Patch Iconia 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS

OP crypted

10th April 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #291  
Thanks Meter: 9

369 posts
I have not the stock rom..I have flashed the fleaxreaper rom without keaping an update...
11th April 2012, 02:24 AM   |  #292  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
So i was looking through the GPS log debugging info and I found the following lines appear in every instance where I try to use my GPS.

Code:
$297083I  Start reading LTO ...
LTO file was not found!
$297083I  LTO reading complete.
$297083I LTO ignored (integrity)
$297083I  Start reading CBEE file ...
EE file was not found!
$297084I  CBEE file reading complete.
$297084W Warning: Using default vertical accuracy (45.000000)
$297084I Serialize REFPOS: (49.234780, -123.025234, 0.000000)(0) OK
I'm assuming LTO is the lto.dat. Not sure if this is causing the issue.

I was running GPS outdoors, with the latest patch from this thread (google NON-SSL). I was seeing 3-4 satellites, but they were not locking. I did have wifi access enabled and it was working.

Dunno if these means anything. Unfortunately, there is very little information out there on gps log outputs.
11th April 2012, 02:32 AM   |  #293  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 4,132

2,473 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwing

So i was looking through the GPS log debugging info and I found the following lines appear in every instance where I try to use my GPS.

Code:
$297083I  Start reading LTO ...
LTO file was not found!
$297083I  LTO reading complete.
$297083I LTO ignored (integrity)
$297083I  Start reading CBEE file ...
EE file was not found!
$297084I  CBEE file reading complete.
$297084W Warning: Using default vertical accuracy (45.000000)
$297084I Serialize REFPOS: (49.234780, -123.025234, 0.000000)(0) OK
I'm assuming LTO is the lto.dat. Not sure if this is causing the issue.

I was running GPS outdoors, with the latest patch from this thread (google NON-SSL). I was seeing 3-4 satellites, but they were not locking. I did have wifi access enabled and it was working.

Dunno if these means anything. Unfortunately, there is very little information out there on gps log outputs.

There should be an LTO file in the /data/gps/ folder. Its download is controlled by the GPSD and not in my script. See if it exists and report back. If the directory doesn't exist, create it.

Try flashing the Transformer Prime v1.0 and let me know how that goes out of sheer curiosity.
11th April 2012, 03:13 AM   |  #294  
Flag Vancouver

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted

There should be an LTO file in the /data/gps/ folder. Its download is controlled by the GPSD and not in my script. See if it exists and report back. If the directory doesn't exist, create it.

Try flashing the Transformer Prime v1.0 and let me know how that goes out of sheer curiosity.

Transformer Prime caused by GPS to stop working entirely. I reverted back.

The only file in /data/gps is a file called gldata.sto

The GPS seems to dump the log files in here as well. There are a lot of those. They are named gl-<data><randomnumber>.txt. That is the file that generated the code above.
11th April 2012, 03:17 AM   |  #295  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 4,132

2,473 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwing

Transformer Prime caused by GPS to stop working entirely. I reverted back.

The only file in /data/gps is a file called gldata.sto

The GPS seems to dump the log files in here as well. There are a lot of those. They are named gl-<data><randomnumber>.txt. That is the file that generated the code above.

Okay so we have some stark deviations in configurations of ROM's here. Some use XTRA, some use STO, and some use LTO. Holy crap Batman. Not fun for me here at all.

I need original gps.conf and all files from /etc/gps/ and /data/gps from the ROM you're using before my patch. And, I need that from a lot of ROM's by the look of it that way I can try and figure out why the hell this device has such randomization in it.

It used to work for most people before these new ROM's started dumping out! Ugh!
11th April 2012, 03:22 AM   |  #296  
Flag Vancouver

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted

Okay so we have some stark deviations in configurations of ROM's here. Some use XTRA, some use STO, and some use LTO. Holy crap Batman. Not fun for me here at all.

I need original gps.conf and all files from /etc/gps/ and /data/gps from the ROM you're using before my patch. And, I need that from a lot of ROM's by the look of it that way I can try and figure out why the hell this device has such randomization in it.

It used to work for most people before these new ROM's started dumping out! Ugh!

HaHa! They can't make it too easy for you!

As I understand it, Flexreaper (the rom I'm using now) is based on the latest honeycomb leak. With the exception of Thor's, which rewrites everything from the ground up, I expect most of the major ROM releases here to have the same basic data.

Might I sugest downloading the stock ICS 4.0.3 leak from here and using the files from that?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1524736

My current ROM has been so bastardized from tweaking and fiddling I doubt it would be much use to you.

Cheers,
-PW
11th April 2012, 06:12 AM   |  #297  
Thanks Meter: 26

181 posts
Smile Working on ICS Lightspeed ROM
I just wanted to say thanks for this nifty GPS patch, and that I have now used it on 3 devices with success. A Droid X running CM7, My A500 tablet when it ran Thor's HC 3.2.1 version 14, and now as of tonight the same A500 tablet running Lightspeed ICS ROM version 4.4.

To make it work with the ICS ROM, I had to add your suggested line "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 1" to the build.prop file. Just changing the gps.conf (which is what worked the first 2 times) wasn't enough. With that line also added, I have fast GPS lock using GPS Status as well as using Latitude on the A500.
11th April 2012, 06:40 AM   |  #298  
Flag Vancouver

139 posts
I went back to Thor's 14.2 tonight, to try and figure out why it works so much better on that ROM.

After looking over the filesystem, and the logs, I found one noticeable difference:

/data/gps/lto.dat

It exists in the old Thor 14.2 rom, but it is not generated or successfully pulled in any other ROM.

Anyway, apparently this file (long term orbit data) holds some critical information for the locking component of satellites. Without it, you may see multiple satellites, but locking on could take ages. This file speeds up locking considerably.

For more information, here is a link:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/tb/LTO-TB100-R.pdf

Anyhow. You can get the file here:
http://gllto.glpals.com/7day/latest/lto.dat

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to test it until morning. But everything I've read (including my log file above) indicates that that file is supposed to be there, and is not getting pulled. I've downloaded the file onto a clean install of Flexreapers ROM, and am going to place it in /data/gps/.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning. It may be that including this file into your patch could result in better performance on the A500. That may not be viable though, since apparently the file is supposed to be updated every 7 days for optimum performance.

It still doesn't explain why the file is not getting generated/downloaded in the first place though. But that is another issue.

EDIT:

Okay. So I've not been upstairs to try it yet, but I can say from the logs I'm getting much fewer error messages with this file present. It's looking hopefull.

On that note: Any idea where I might get a copy of the "/data/gps/cbee.cbee" file I'm apparently missing?
Last edited by pacificwing; 11th April 2012 at 07:01 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacificwing For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2012, 07:04 AM   |  #299  
Thanks Meter: 86

224 posts
Incredible, you found it!! I tested lto.dat with FlexReaper R.11, and get almost an immediate SAT fix indoors that doesn't get lost (when the tab is placed near the window). Thanks!!

Best regards, maris
11th April 2012, 07:12 AM   |  #300  
Flag Vancouver

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maris__

Incredible, you found it!! I tested lto.dat with FlexReaper R.11, and get almost an immediate SAT fix indoors that doesn't get lost (when the tab is placed near the window). Thanks!!

Best regards, maris

That's really good news! I'm glad. I can't wait to test it tomorrow.

Now that we know *what* the problem is, it looks like the next task is to figure out *why* this file isn't getting downloaded. Maybe there is a setting in gps.conf or gpsconfig.xml which is responsible for instructing the unit to download this file.

We are still missing the extended ephemeris (CBEE) file, which could speed things up even faster. No idea where to get that.

I'll keep looking into it.

EDIT:

I just went outside and tested it, and yes, it appears to have been the problem. crypted, you may want to add this revelation to your long list of notes.

The next step is obviously to figure out why the file isn't being downloaded automatically, since it will have to be updated manually every 7 or so days.

Cheers, and goodnight.
-PW
Last edited by pacificwing; 11th April 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, iconia, lock, slow
Previous Thread Next Thread