5,606,588 Members 36,201 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Lets discuss The Photon April "EOL" and the abandoning of wimax

Tip us?

dito33
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Why you blame photon not getting LTE no sprint phone to this moment are available even some are on a horizon tho, even SGII if you would of got couldn't get you better signal or LTE. This phone still be good for awhile especially the way sprint moving the things forward.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA

redhatter
Old
(Last edited by redhatter; 10th April 2012 at 02:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelRenzoku View Post
Just curious, why do you want Domestic GSM unlocked when it's only useful out of the country? Sprint has no GSM towers and they don't have an incentive to unlock it because if it's unlocked, you will be using a SIM Card from another provider like AT&T or T-Mobile... meaning providing competition from a Sprint phone...
Yes which mean it usable on other networks so it has more value....look I payed money for a Sprint 4g phone....Sprint now is making my 4g hardware, 3g hardware forever...pure loss of value...how to recover some value...let the hardware I OWN work on other carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile.....

I did not break my part of the deal with Sprint... Sprint broke the deal to provide 4g on the hardware they sold me

If you had a phone geting 4g in your area and the phone hardware failed and was no longer able to get 4g that would be a warranty issue for the phone right?

The phone would be replaced with one that worked as you were sold.... and if they could not replace or repair.... you would be offer a phone of same or greater value....

However I would not be warranty if I deliberately broke the phone

But Sprint is deliberately breaking there side of the network so why do I not Sprint take the loss?

This is not what I was sold or told when I bought....

So replace or repair or offer a phone of same or greater value or let me move on to another carrier with the hardware I bought

Look Im a network engineer of 30+ years....(in fact im posting while on a test bridge, telecommute in, since 4AM...boring)....Ive turned down many customer on data services...

A customer in good standing, you do not sell them a hardware investment on thier side of the link...

Then turn around and turn it down and just tell them "tough ****!"

"And Oh by the way we are going to hold you to your part of the deal, while you will not get the services and the growth of services and service network contracted for, you must keep paying the same rate with all penaltys for early cancellation"

Any business that pulled that on another business would be in court in a heartbeat.....

Hell in someways this is what Clearwire did to Sprint ... Clearwire could not provide the services and the growth of services and service network contracted for...

Did Sprint just let Clearwire keep charging them as all was contracted for? ...So why should we?

Look this is business.... provide what was contracted for or that deal is void...you can have the phone back and I get my money payed back...or let make a new deal

FYI... Do not expect to see any real performance difference at first beween Sprint /Clearwire 4g WIMAX and Sprint /Clearwire 4g LTE (unless they mask it with QOS for LTE traffic have priority over WIMAX traffic for thier internet bandwidth)...the issue was never WIMAX vs LTE as the layer 2 datalink itself ... Clearwire issue was Clearwire (I interview with them...for a while it seemed like they would call , via the headhunters, for new contract engineers ever other month...they have got issue and it was not WIMAX)

318Charger
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Redhatter, were what you're saying completely correct, then I would mostly agree. However, it's not quite correct. From what I've read, Sprint IS going to provide you with what they sold you. The 4g Wi-Max infrastructure is supposed to stay functional until 2015. So Sprint sold you a phone that's going to be fully functional (4g) until 2015, which I think I'm safe to assume, is past the contract you've signed with them. Not looking to start a fight here, but I just wanted to clear up that 4g will still work until 2015

redhatter
Old
(Last edited by redhatter; 11th April 2012 at 03:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318Charger View Post
Redhatter, were what you're saying completely correct, then I would mostly agree. However, it's not quite correct. From what I've read, Sprint IS going to provide you with what they sold you. The 4g Wi-Max infrastructure is supposed to stay functional until 2015. So Sprint sold you a phone that's going to be fully functional (4g) until 2015, which I think I'm safe to assume, is past the contract you've signed with them. Not looking to start a fight here, but I just wanted to clear up that 4g will still work until 2015
I live in Phoenix...Phoenix was to be build out as part of the 4g wimax network but was not and now never will be therefore I will never received the services sold the network was never built as presented....

Simple question would I have payed the premium for a service I never would get..

Or even better...sprint is now goint to sell LTE phones...but the LTE network is not built it just a promised at this point...so what if they sell LTE phones but then never deliver on the promised LTE...how is that diffrent then never delivering on the promised WIMAX network...

FYI Sprint still advertise in all their Phoenix stores all the Wi-Max products as 4G...something that will never work for most all of the customer in those stores

dito33
Old
Thanks Meter 28
If Sprint doesn't keep their promises on the LTE this is their last chance before
they go down, hell BestBuy is on the verge go down.

dtaylorr
Old
Thanks Meter 16
As to the OP comments, it is frustrating that Sprint is so far behind in the 4G game, but 3G is plenty fast enough for me. I would love 4G, but not having it is not a huge deal to me.
Proud owner of a Samsung S3, and Samsung Note 3

dsims7_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorr View Post
As to the OP comments, it is frustrating that Sprint is so far behind in the 4G game, but 3G is plenty fast enough for me. I would love 4G, but not having it is not a huge deal to me.
#1. I feel the same way, I'v only used 4G 3 times, once on EVO and 2 on Photon.

#2. With that said, you need to thank me, I bitched an moaned enough and I guess someone saw/heard it. Photon is off the EOL list!!!

http://www.technobuffalo.com/compani...n-its-way-out/

Samsung Galaxy Note II, stock, code name: "Cujo!" BoxWave Holster for protection!(siggy by DeedScreen)

318Charger
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I guess I don't know exactly what the language is in the contract, but I don't think 4g is ever explicitly promised. The way I understand it is you pay for whatever your talk/text is and then for unlimited data, and then $10 extra bc smartphones use more data. So while maybe it was pretty crappy of Sprint to act like 4g was ever going to happen or advertise heavily about it when it's service is so sparse, I don't think they're contractually obligated to provide it.

dsims7_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Let me tell you why I think this is good news. 1. It means Sprint and Motorola may be still talking. #2. I think the conversation would go a little something like this:

Sprint: "We have a EVO 4G LTE coming out, Samsung Galaxy LTE, **** or git off the pot!"
Motorola: "We will if you give us the same advertising pull you give them!"

I tell you another reason this is Great News, In order to trump the other 2, Niviara (sp?) is working on Quad-Core 1.5Gzh that WILL work on LTE 4G, and to top that off, maybe new Photon will still be CDMA/GSM with 32Gb memory, which will make it top dogg!! (Hey, I can dream like everyone else!)

Samsung Galaxy Note II, stock, code name: "Cujo!" BoxWave Holster for protection!(siggy by DeedScreen)