Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows 8 64 bits very slow to install by DVD

Tip us?

MRaimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Windows 8 64 bits very slow to install by DVD

Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 8 64 bits Consumer Preview by DVD driver in my PC, but, it's very, VERY slow to install. I wait 1 hour to select the language. Why is happening this? For install my Windows 7 32 bits Ultimate was the same. Is my HD or DVD Driver? (I burn 2x in the DVD by Power ISO)

Thanks.

ohgood
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaimo View Post
Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 8 64 bits Consumer Preview by DVD driver in my PC, but, it's very, VERY slow to install. I wait 1 hour to select the language. Why is happening this? For install my Windows 7 32 bits Ultimate was the same. Is my HD or DVD Driver? (I burn 2x in the DVD by Power ISO)

Thanks.
That software you mentioned should have died out years ago , but didn't. They propped up sales by seeding torrents that blahblahblah.... rant off.

Anyway, try a md5sum on the images and dvds.

I installed on a vm in less than 15minutes, and even with the annoying reboots it was fairly quick.

Check you bios for odd settings.
U jealous of ice cream duuude ?

Everybody on here that's mad and complaining got smoked by a Windows Phone.

Erazor84
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Are your floppy disk controller enabled in the bios? Since Windows Vista some Mainboards have problems with setup if the floppy controller is enabled! deactivate it and setup should run at normal speed!

moose.splash1
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Windows 8 is a big file on its own, if you're trying to install the 64 buy version its even bigger. Be patient or try the 32 bit version

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium
Nathan Adams - Senior member and Android developer
Device: Nexus One
Hboot: BlackRose
ROM: TexasIce ICS

moose.splash1
Old
Thanks Meter 11
It could also be that your drivers are out of date or that your computer has a slow disc speed

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium
Nathan Adams - Senior member and Android developer
Device: Nexus One
Hboot: BlackRose
ROM: TexasIce ICS

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
given that you said you had issues on another OS then its likely to be a hardware issue.

first suggestion is to make sure your using 32 bit DMA access in your BIOS, its quite easy to set that to UDMA 0 or even PIO mode by mistake, its also possible the drive or disks your burning from / to might not be as accurate as they should be, its also worth checking your download isn't corrupted, I had that issue on the DP but that failed to install rather than just being slow.

If your using older drives using parallel cables, make sure they are on different channels, ie not connected to the same cable (master slave)

you could try setting up a USB drive install, that would rule out the media drive altogether and limit it to your moby or HDD
The Following User Says Thank You to dazza9075 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MRaimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks guys, I will format my HD and try again in some days o/

Vintage144
Old
Thanks Meter 99
how is your raid set up? Make sure you have ahci , I loaded 64 bit last night , took less than 10 minutes and I had a corrupted drive to begin with (that took me an extra 10 minutes by itself) but install of the OS was the fastest Ive ever had on a windows machine !
~Motorola Moto X XT 1058~ Current (stock until BL unlock?)
~Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 - 16GB ~ retired
~Samsung Galaxy Note LTE SGH-I717 - 16GB~ retired
~Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (SM-T230NU)~ Current (rooted/TWRP)
~Acer Iconia A500~ retired
~Kindle Fire 1st Gen~ retired
~LG Optimus Pro G2~ Current

No stock here , nothing but custom! except my moto x

flyingdreamz
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Slow DVD install

It sounds like you have a low transfer speed or a low read speed on the DVD drive. Because it took me just over an hour to install Windows 8 CP on HP ZD7249CL. it took about 15 minutes to install on my Home Built desktop (AMD Phenom X4 840 3.2Ghz, 8 GB of ram, SATA III, AMD HD5770). See if you can upgrade to a sata drive if possible.

MRaimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
My older DVD drive is SATA, the new one(from my old PC) is IDE, and the both took the same time.
I will try to make some changes in the BIOS and reinstall the OS.
So I post the results.
Thanks all of you o/