AGPS Patch Iconia 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS

11th April 2012, 08:38 PM   |  #311  
Thanks Meter: 85

219 posts
No, I did not want to say that the patches are worthless in those ROMs. But adding LTO.DAT seems to have even a larger effect on sat fix than the patches.

Best regards, maris
11th April 2012, 09:06 PM   |  #312  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maris__

No, I did not want to say that the patches are worthless in those ROMs. But adding LTO.DAT seems to have even a larger effect on sat fix than the patches.

Best regards, maris

I agree, the patch is far from worthless. It does improve gps efficiency, and I'm using it now. It will continue to be usefull after this LTO problem is resolved.

I wonder if more people need this LTO patch then we realize. As I've mentioned on other threads, active WPS (wifi location) can fool someone into thinking their gps works fine, if they are only using google maps (or some other mapping program) as reference.

I would wager that anyone using a ROM based on stock is having this issue, whether or not they realize it.

Until we have a perminant fix, we should do what we can to educate people to the benifits of both the LTO fix, and the benifits of the patch. They also need to be shown to use "gps test" for reference, rather than just maps.

Cheers,
-PW
Last edited by pacificwing; 11th April 2012 at 09:54 PM.
11th April 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #313  
Thanks Meter: 26

179 posts
Quote:

My impression is that without LTO.DAT aGPS is not working, and your modified gps.conf files are almost without function. LTO.DAT is seems to be missing in all Acer ROMs. There was a single custom ROM for the A500 that has been devloped from an Asus android HC version. This custom ROM included the LTO.DAT and showed much faster sat fix than all Acer based ROMs. So it is likely that there is a general failure in all Acer ROMs to download this file.

Best regards, maris

I disagree. The modified gps.conf all by itself turned the GPS on 2 phones and my tablet from useless into instantly locking on and being accurate. Often it will actually show WHERE in my house I am sitting when viewed from Google Maps!
12th April 2012, 02:28 PM   |  #314  
Union City Indiana
Thanks Meter: 45

594 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwing

I went back to Thor's 14.2 tonight, to try and figure out why it works so much better on that ROM.

After looking over the filesystem, and the logs, I found one noticeable difference:

/data/gps/lto.dat

It exists in the old Thor 14.2 rom, but it is not generated or successfully pulled in any other ROM.

Anyway, apparently this file (long term orbit data) holds some critical information for the locking component of satellites. Without it, you may see multiple satellites, but locking on could take ages. This file speeds up locking considerably.

For more information, here is a link:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/tb/LTO-TB100-R.pdf

Anyhow. You can get the file here:
http://gllto.glpals.com/7day/latest/lto.dat

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to test it until morning. But everything I've read (including my log file above) indicates that that file is supposed to be there, and is not getting pulled. I've downloaded the file onto a clean install of Flexreapers ROM, and am going to place it in /data/gps/.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning. It may be that including this file into your patch could result in better performance on the A500. That may not be viable though, since apparently the file is supposed to be updated every 7 days for optimum performance.

It still doesn't explain why the file is not getting generated/downloaded in the first place though. But that is another issue.

EDIT:

Okay. So I've not been upstairs to try it yet, but I can say from the logs I'm getting much fewer error messages with this file present. It's looking hopefull.

On that note: Any idea where I might get a copy of the "/data/gps/cbee.cbee" file I'm apparently missing?

Where else can I get the lto.dat. the link above just loads my screen with junk and no download. Or am I doing it wrong. Thanks
12th April 2012, 02:31 PM   |  #315  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Miami Beach, FL
Thanks Meter: 4,124

2,473 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun298

Where else can I get the lto.dat. the link above just loads my screen with junk and no download. Or am I doing it wrong. Thanks

Save the file instead using the "save link as" options in your browser.

When you say junk, I assume that it is probably the code inside the file being shown to you rather than downloading.
The Following User Says Thank You to crypted For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th April 2012, 03:03 PM   |  #316  
Union City Indiana
Thanks Meter: 45

594 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted

Save the file instead using the "save link as" options in your browser.

When you say junk, I assume that it is probably the code inside the file being shown to you rather than downloading.

Yes it is the code being displayed. Thanks for help, going to try it out.

Got 11 locks in 5 seconds. Yea
Last edited by shaun298; 12th April 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Update
12th April 2012, 03:30 PM   |  #317  
Flag Miami Beach, FL

2,473 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun298

Yes it is the code being displayed. Thanks for help, going to try it out.

Got 11 locks in 5 seconds. Yea

I don't have a stable method to keep the lto.dat downloaded or unremoved at this point. I would like someone to review setting the file permissions to read-only to see if this protects it.
12th April 2012, 03:52 PM   |  #318  
Thanks Meter: 85

219 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted

I would like someone to review setting the file permissions to read-only to see if this protects it.

Unfortunately not. Tried that last night.

Best regards, maris
12th April 2012, 03:53 PM   |  #319  
Flag Miami Beach, FL

2,473 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Unfortunately not. Tried that last night.

Best regards, maris

I was doubtful but held out some hope for y'alls device to not be such a pain!
12th April 2012, 04:10 PM   |  #320  
Thanks Meter: 26

179 posts
When exactly is the lto.dat file getting removed for you guys? Mine was indeed missing just now after having put it there last night. So I put another copy of it in the system/etc file, (for my own convenience if I need to keep replacing it) and then used Root Explorer to remove all the Write permissions. I then copied that altered file and placed it in system/etc/gps. I ran GPS Status which took 20 seconds to lock (lying flat). Then I rebooted, and the lto.dat files are still where I put them. Ran GPS Status again (standing vertical) and it locked in 5 seconds. Checked once again and the lto.dat files are still there. I'll monitor the situation and report back if they disappear.

Also, I don't know if you folks are aware of something else I learned from another source. Standing up the A500 makes the GPS lock in much faster. For some reason the GPS doesn't like working as well when the tablet is horizontal.

I have a lot of problems with my tablet's GPS compass requiring recalibration pretty much every time I use GPS Status. It may be a result of the computers and peripherals nearby where I leave it to charge overnight. But my phones have historically had the same problem, and they charged in a different room. Or, it could just be me. Early versions of digital watch displays used to go blank on me when I wore one (even the first day). If I left the watch sit it would come back. For over 20 years I have worn analog watches because of this.
Last edited by Zoandroid; 12th April 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, iconia, lock, slow
Previous Thread Next Thread