Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,443 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G1 unlock bootloader

Tip us?

mglowe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up G1 unlock bootloader

So I have T-mobile G1 model phone. It has firmware 1.0 with RC29 in the build number. I would like to update it to some version of cyanogenmod.

There are a couple of problems I am having when i try to follow the instructions at wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Nexus_One:_Full_Update_Guide

1. I am unable to unlock the bootloader using fastboot. I have Android SDK installed on my PC.

2.As far as I can tell, I cannot get into bootloader mode by pressing trackball and Power ON. The only way I can get into bootloader mode is through Power ON + Camera. I can get the "three skating androids" and i have the following showing on my screen:
DREA100 PVT 32B
HBOOT 0.95.3000
CPLD-4
radio 1.22.12.39
serial 0

The device freezes at this point. I have to pull the battery to restart the phone.

Any help, links etc would be greatly appreciated

armoguy94
Old
Thanks Meter 12
That's because you're following instructions on unlocking the bootloader for the Nexus One, not the G1. *facepalm*

Attempting to flash the wrong files can brick your phone. If you were careless enough to not realize you were following instructions for a completely different phone that entire time, you should think twice about rooting your G1! You could end up bricking it.

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

TheShortybro
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Lightbulb Gotcha back!!!!!

Well, can you still use fastboot? If so, search on XDA Developers for the man himself EzTerry. He has a nice tutorial for installing a new Radio and SPL for the HTC Dream (dont worry, not the Nexus One, i've checked it ) Follow that and you can flash your recovery again, your ROM (Even CM7) and as a bonus: You get more then 10 mb of RAM!!!!!!! BUT if not, you'll have to put the DREAIMG.nbh (google it) to your sdcard and install it using the bootloader BUT you'll be back where you started, with Android 1.0!!!!!! (No root access, no nothing, but a standard recovery) AND, a bricked phone won't start up, won't go to recovery AND to bootloader and the most common reason for bricking your phone is: 1. Not seeing what file you are downloading AND flashing it
2. Putting it in the right order!!!! SO easy but SO many bricks!!!! That's all you need to know!!! Good luck!

ikarycs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default HTC Dream

u r missing the part where BEFORE GOING INTO FASTBOOT U HAVE TO DO:
1. format ur SD card in fat32 format (u may need a laptop with an adapter to perform this becouse u actually cant do it from the phone since it doesnt start up). FOR ME IT DIDNT WORK UNTILL I FORMATED FROM INSIDE THE PHONE TOO BAD IT THAT DOESNT WORK OUT FOR YOU =/
2. place this file RC29 DREAIMG.nbh (google it becouse i cant post links) into ur just formated SD card (just paste it and do not place in any folder)
3. turn on ur phone by pressing and holding camerabuttom + ON(red one)
4. it should go from the colored screent to a kinda gray one with some instructions... and then u just have to follow on screen instructions.

GL