General Battery Usage Discussion

OP Zaihanzainal

10th April 2012, 02:23 AM   |  #41  
OP Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 229

1,099 posts
More
But will cold temps cause it to act weird also?

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda premium
10th April 2012, 03:37 AM   |  #42  
Flag tijuana
Thanks Meter: 65

502 posts
More
how wierd?? I mean, even if tests are made at 21c, there's a wide temp range for them to work... some places like Russia and Iceland or the kind are always cold wheather and some other places are always warm so they make devices to work on almost all wheathers...

but, a few months back it was winter here and I do noticed that when it was really cold my phone was a lil bit laggy
10th April 2012, 08:03 AM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 56

133 posts
More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaihanzainal

But will cold temps cause it to act weird also?

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda premium

You have to remember that batteries (Li-Ion included) don't like cold too much, cold as in close to or under 0 degrees Celsius. They will discharge a lot faster and sometimes they will not give consistent voltage which will make the device (our phone in this case) go berserk.
I know from my DSLR camera that under 0 degrees Celsius the battery will only last half as much (or even less) than at 15-20 degrees.

You can read more HERE, the important part :
Quote:

Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and diminishes the capacity. Batteries that would provide 100 percent capacity at 27C (80F) will typically deliver only 50 percent at 18C (0F). The capacity decrease is linear with temperature. Li-ion also performs better at high temperatures than at low ones. Heat lowers the internal resistance but this stresses the battery. Warming a dying flashlight or cellular phone battery in your jean pocket might provide additional runtime in the winter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verszipo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2012, 07:52 AM   |  #44  
Flag Jakarta Occupation:Writer
Thanks Meter: 51

131 posts
More
just modif the ondemand gov setting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-11 13.03.49.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	996199  
11th April 2012, 01:34 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 24

93 posts
Question Google maps causing wakelock & battery drain?
Yesterday I used Google Maps on Wifi with GPS and wireless location off and I think this caused my phone to stay awake (see first pic) with increased battery drain as a consequence. Rebooting solved the problem.
I've had this problem before after using OsmAnd (free offline map app). Back then the GPS was on ofcourse. Again rebooting solved the problem.
I think Google maps causes some wakelock in the LocationManagerService which in turn keeps my OB awake (see second pic).

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this or learn more about how this works? I don't like to not be able to use Google Maps anymore and I don't like to reboot every time after using Maps either. And finding out your phone run out of battery what you did not expect is no fun either

By the way, I am on Zeus v6.11o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-11 14.18.23.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	996653   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-11 14.18.36.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	996654  
11th April 2012, 03:30 PM   |  #46  
Thanks Meter: 155

193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Boutiette

Yesterday I used Google Maps on Wifi with GPS and wireless location off and I think this caused my phone to stay awake (see first pic) with increased battery drain as a consequence. Rebooting solved the problem.
I've had this problem before after using OsmAnd (free offline map app). Back then the GPS was on ofcourse. Again rebooting solved the problem.
I think Google maps causes some wakelock in the LocationManagerService which in turn keeps my OB awake (see second pic).

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this or learn more about how this works? I don't like to not be able to use Google Maps anymore and I don't like to reboot every time after using Maps either. And finding out your phone run out of battery what you did not expect is no fun either

By the way, I am on Zeus v6.11o

There's a lot of info about that in the BetteryBatteyStats thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179809

The problem is with Latitude, you need to log out of it.

Google maps has always been a resource hogger. I only use in occasionally, so I freeze it when I'm not using it, and unfreeze when I want to use it. As it only takes a couple of seconds to freeze/unfreeze, it's an ideal workaround for me.

BTW, I couldn't see your screenshots, they wouldn't load on my pc or my OB.
The Following User Says Thank You to jason600 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th April 2012, 10:25 AM   |  #47  
Thanks Meter: 24

93 posts
Jason, thanks for the info!
I am going to look at the thread you mentioned.
About the screenshots, it is weird but I cannot see them either. I uploaded them though... Hmmm, have to try again.

Edit:
Ok, just researched it a bit and I finally know what latitude is But as I did not use that before, it is not my problem. At least now I know. Now lets explore the freeze/thawing of Google Maps.
Last edited by KC Boutiette; 12th April 2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: extra info
13th April 2012, 10:49 AM   |  #48  
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 20

181 posts
More
i've bought a 3600mah battery from hong kong (about 8$, ship included) and antutu score is about 650 (with stock battery is 382, i'm using nova v8 rom, 1100hz)
the battery is this ebay link
i try it for some days and i will post the drain time
The Following User Says Thank You to giutal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 05:36 PM   |  #49  
Flag tijuana
Thanks Meter: 65

502 posts
More
This is what I like from a rom... this one is zeus v6.11, nothing "extra" just smartass2 and deadline...
The two "flat lines" were sleep time airplane mode on... and it would last longer since started at 90%

Last edited by Felsar; 13th April 2012 at 05:40 PM.
14th April 2012, 04:58 AM   |  #50  
Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 1,932

1,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
PRADA lite testing
this is a sleep test of my new prada lite ROM. sync was on.
and am using a worn out battery since the cell am having now, is used.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread