5,600,182 Members 40,362 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Tip us?

psych0t1c
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Well, with me now having one of those, I kinda try to look on the bright side (even though I do not have problems as of yet, not even anything noticeable around the USB port). I can be assured that with all this hubbub about the MAO problem, I can use the phone and EVEN if i mishandle it and get some real scratches in on the sides... i can kinda rely on HTC fixing those for free cause they will be having a hard time telling apart failures of MAO from slight dents that cause MAO defects.

So basically, a new shell is guaranteed to be exchanged onto my phone for free when I chose I need it (and know the issue is resolved). And maybe, just maybe HTC comes up with an One SE or SL with more storage sometimes in the future, so i might even be possible to RMA it through the vendor because of the well known defects and get the newer model by just paying the difference of price between the devices...

All a matter of perspective.

Also the close up pics are indeed interesting to look at. Must be a pretty heavy cam setup the guy used.
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
HTC Sensation
HTC One S (black with no MAO defects, unlocked, rooted, self-modded mostly stock ROM)

Help populate the HTC One S IRC channel on freenode: #htc-one-s

Ariozo
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Took out a One S today and gona see how it will do in a few days, see if it will keep black or not
Active Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

RoM: Use one that work good for me.

Retired Phones(or "onHold":
G1,Hero,Legend,HD2,N1,X10,Desire,DesireZ,N900,SGS, Ip4,LG 2x, SE Arc, HTC Sensation,Nokia N9,HTC Sensation Xe,GS2,Motorolo Razr,Galaxy Nexus,Galaxy Note,Xperia S,HoS,HoX,Lgx4,S3,IP5,Note2,N4,Lumia 920, Asus Padfone 64gb,LG OPtimus G,Xperia Z,BB Z10,BB Q10,HTC One

Phones on wait list: Always on the hunt for better...

PulpzillA
Old
Thanks Meter 15
sent my black one back and awaiting a new grey version!
HTC Magic > HTC Hero > HTC Desire > HTC One S > Nexus 5

ptr_hamilton
Old
(Last edited by ptr_hamilton; 12th April 2012 at 06:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr_hamilton View Post
Just to make that clear, the "scratches" are very small, for now. I hope they stay like this but am afraid they won't.
This is how they actually look like without microscope
LG Google Nexus 4 -> Slim but absolutely customizable SlimBean or LordClockan's , awesome AICP experience
LG Google Nexus 5 -> Stock for now. Until some new Roms pop up..
If you think I helped you with this - just hit the below to let me know

lm85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0t1c View Post
Well, with me now having one of those, I kinda try to look on the bright side (even though I do not have problems as of yet, not even anything noticeable around the USB port). I can be assured that with all this hubbub about the MAO problem, I can use the phone and EVEN if i mishandle it and get some real scratches in on the sides... i can kinda rely on HTC fixing those for free cause they will be having a hard time telling apart failures of MAO from slight dents that cause MAO defects.

So basically, a new shell is guaranteed to be exchanged onto my phone for free when I chose I need it (and know the issue is resolved). And maybe, just maybe HTC comes up with an One SE or SL with more storage sometimes in the future, so i might even be possible to RMA it through the vendor because of the well known defects and get the newer model by just paying the difference of price between the devices...

All a matter of perspective.

Also the close up pics are indeed interesting to look at. Must be a pretty heavy cam setup the guy used.
this is my thinking too, i'm waiting on a replacement black one because my first one had a smudge under the right touch button which was annoying me

i could call and get a grey one sent instead but if the MAO works as it should i will be happy, i just don't want to have to replace it several times because it happens over and over, hopefully they fix the problem and in a few months if mine starts to chip away i can swap it for a fixed one

i do like the black better than the grey now i've had one in my hand and i do like the idea of being able to swap it for a new one using this problem as an excuse

barryb20
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Underlying metal

Hi guys,

Felt compelled to chime in, I had a Nokia N8 which was anodised and even though it wasnt MAO it got scratches around the USB port with normal use.

Just so people are aware regardless of process you may eventually see the raw aluminium, no matter how careful you are, so ppl jumping to the anodised version this is no guarantee.

Thanks

Barry

St4hli
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Haha I guess some dumbass employees at HTC, who are responsible for this massive MAO epic fail, are gonna get kicked in the ass

stoosh666
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I bought the black HTC One S today from CPW within 2 hours of owning the phone I noticed a very small area where the paint had peeled away.

I had the phone sitting on the table so it wasn't as if it was in my pocket with keys or coins

I phoned HTC customer services and they've given me a ticket number and told me to take the phone back to CPW for an exchange. What's the point when no doubt all of us who chose to return our phones will no doubt get another phone that will fail!

I'm going to ask for a refund...I hope CPW give me the money back. I can't buy the grey as Phones4U are the only ones that have the sim free version but they're asking 479.99 for it

I so wanted to keep the One S, after my One X suffered with multiple issues and has gone back. I'm back to using an old Nokia for the time being....not cool!

Tecardo
Old
Thanks Meter 616

DONATE TO ME
It is really such a huge problem for you? and i think, that htc is changing to working models. Don't think that everyone cheats you. That's not good for you

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Made some testing and it is scratch resistent to a knife
I will post a video later... I think next week. My upload isn't impressiv.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tecardo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jigr69
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Getting black One S tomorrow

I will be picking up my black HTC One S tomorrow and hope to god that I don't suffer from the same quality issues. Love the look of the black phone, having had a black HTC Desire for over 2 years now and it still looks like new (in a case though).

Not happy if it turns out that after a week or so my new phone looks older than my old phone....

Tags
one s flaw, one s scratches