Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 52,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Tip us?

xplus93
Old
Thanks Meter 31
truly if you have a smartphone, and don't use internet on it you are defeating the purpose of a smartphone, so you should really get a data plan for a smartphone, its kinda why the carriers force you into it now. on the other hand i used to kinda have the same situation, i was an add-on line and the account holder didn't want data. i figured one thing out, winmo for no data plan, android for data plan, unless you have constant wifi, and what i did for android gps, was get the route before i left from google maps and it would still keep a gps fix

sunbriel
Old
Thanks Meter 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplus93 View Post
truly if you have a smartphone, and don't use internet on it you are defeating the purpose of a smartphone, so you should really get a data plan for a smartphone
Do you think data plans are the same in all countries? They can have sky-high prices.
I have 1GB (+100 free minutes for calls and 50 free SMS) for around $12 (60kn) a month. I think that's pretty ok.
But I still want a GPS app that allows me to use offline maps for navigation.

jp_iles
Old
(Last edited by jp_iles; 9th September 2011 at 01:16 PM.) Reason: Cr4ppy spelling and not wanting to feed the trolls.
Thanks Meter 1
I'm not sure all of you have considered all possible reasons for wanting an offline GPS system and the flaming of the OP is just stupid.

I got to this thread because I'm after the same thing - an offline GPS system that I can use without having to have a live data connection. I have a cheap unlimited data plan, but that all goes to sh1t when you're in the mountains and have sucky reception. You're travelling happily down a route when all of a sudden there's traffic or some other reason to warrant a change of road. But you're out of range from the nearest tower. With an online system, you're buggered. I've had it with that dependancy, it sucks botty.

So - does anyone have any sensible advice for finding an offline Android GPS system that someone can use IRRESPECTIVE of their reasons for wanting on?

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to jp_iles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Keyosuke
Old
(Last edited by Keyosuke; 23rd November 2011 at 10:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
On the topic of GPS without a data plan, I've been wanting this forever. I'm glad so many people have suggested apps. I'm going to try all of these ideas. If I find a winner, I'll probably come back and thank you all again. Extra thanks to the OP for having the balls to continue insisting that this is a noble question that needs answering, because as time goes by, more people get a chance to answer it.

This thread cracks me up, because I just bought a phone with no data plan, no voice plan, and no plan to get any of those plans. Why? Because an Android portable device isn't always a "Smartphone" unless you use it as a "Smartphone".

To a developer, like a few of the people who read this thread probably are, an Android device is a device that can be used to satisfy many needs. I've used "Phones" as ebook readers since 2000, before Kindle was an idea in anyones head. I've used the HTC Universal as an entire PC for over a year, for nearly everything, and that was around 2005. I know a few friends that will drop hundreds on Arduino hardware to make a robot, an electronically controlled fish feeding system, or other bizarre custom applications, and they're all switching to Android for that type of use, simply because an Android phone can do many of the same things, and much more more, for a lower price. It's a shame so many people have repeated over and over again how Android = Smartphone. That's a little ridiculous from my point of view. I think the very developers who make Android, as well as the smart folks that port it from device to device are among the people who appreciate that Android will probably control your refridgerator someday, if not be the OS that runs on your commercially purchased GPS device. So, for that matter, why is it so crazy to use an Android device without a dataplan? I'm planning on using my 1GHZ Snapdragon processor carrying "HTC Droid Incredible" as an mp3 player, portable movie player, ebook reader, GPS (NOT A-GPS), Music Composer, Digital Recorder, Word Processor, and VOIP Client. Look up the cost of an 802.11g enabled VIOP phone, or an mp3 player that also plays DVD encoded movies and tell me again how I shouldn't buy an Android device sold as a "Smartphone" without a dataplan. And I have no problem affording data plans. I live in the US and have had unlimited for the past 5 years on a different phone. I don't see how that is relevant. I like to hike and dataplans don't work on the side of mountains surrounded by other mountains and no wireless base stations.
HTC Universal (Imate Jasjar) G3
CPU: Intel XScale 520mhz
RAM: 64mb
ROM: WM5 WWE by Psidoc

HTC Universal (O2 XDA Exec) G3
CPU: Intel XScale 520mhz
RAM: 128mb
ROM: WM6.1 19174 build WWE by DFT
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyosuke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Keyosuke, excellent comments.

I have been dual-booting Android/WinMo since v1.6, and this same issue has been a primary reason for not fully committing to Android (functional device OS independent of broad-band-connectivity).

Stand alone GPS (vs. A-GPS with Big Brother watching you wherever you are ...) is my preferential use. Making "tracks" while riding MTB trails, etc. outside of cel and/or broadband coverage areas, hunting, fishing, etc. in non-urban surrounds (read no coverage areas), on the hwy's in same types of areas (with forethought to have maps stored on SD-card, etc.). Numerous are the reasons for using a "Smartphone" without data-coverage-plan (I think that when the industry moved away from "PocketPC" descriptive onto "Smartphone" was a step in the wrong direction).

I would like to also like to request consideration for development of Android OS functionality independent of live data-connection. Whether it's because user chooses no-data-plan or coverage-not-available should make no difference.

Respectfully,

mrkite38
Old
(Last edited by mrkite38; 17th February 2012 at 02:04 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
Guys, it's a different world than when this thread was started two years ago. Internal storage space on Vogue is 256MB. Yes, MB. Sdcards were 4GB or MAYBE 8 if you were willing to really fork out. Vogue doesn't have the horsepower to play HD video. You could still purchase a smartphone without a data plan and screw yourself on data charges.

Bottom line, windows mobile was designed with a 'data when necessary' philosophy. Android was clearly designed for always on. Our beef with the OP was his frustration about no offline GPS solutions for a BRAND NEW mobile OS that was designed to be always connected. We were sure it would happen eventually, but we didn't think it was a major failing that it didn't exist.

And, don't forget, the industry doesn't make money on your cell phone without those pesky data plans. That's why the philosophy changed, and that's why you can't get a smartphone without a data package.

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

VX-10 | VX-7000 | VX-8600 | XV6900 (HTC Vogue) | XV6850 (HTC Raphael) | Droid 2 | HTC Droid Incredible | HTC Thunderbolt | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Forum Moderator List

Truefire
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up since no one seems to have provided a solution...

Check this out, it's the only app that has worked for me:

sygic (dot) com

No links because I can't, forum rules

I got it today after testing several 'offline' options. I do not have a data plan since I went from having a job to just being a student again.

_A.T.Omix_
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truefire View Post
Check this out, it's the only app that has worked for me:

sygic (dot) com

No links because I can't, forum rules

I got it today after testing several 'offline' options. I do not have a data plan since I went from having a job to just being a student again.
Thanks, this looks good, too bad the country I am looking for is not included.

BlueDragon747
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkite38 View Post
MapDroyd......
Awesome thanks just what I was looking for, used the via pc method to add UK maps works a treat

mrkite38
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragon747

Awesome thanks just what I was looking for, used the via pc method to add UK maps works a treat
Lol, nothing like getting thanked for a two year old post!

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

VX-10 | VX-7000 | VX-8600 | XV6900 (HTC Vogue) | XV6850 (HTC Raphael) | Droid 2 | HTC Droid Incredible | HTC Thunderbolt | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Forum Moderator List