Bought a tablet last week - should I return it because of ICS?

Search This thread

SilverViking

Apr 4, 2012
Hate to be saying thiS but return them both. Im having multiple issues with mine. It is unrooted and stock. Youtube freezes, lag when watching videos, random reboots and sleep of death. Buy your father an ipad and show him how to use itunes. Android is good for people who need an open filesystem and acess to torrent program and flash content. For me personally its worth the problems because I need the keyboard dock and just love the freedom of android.

My two cents

The thing is if he used an iPad he can't watch sports online since it won't support it. Whereas on the tablet we've tested it and it's been great. His main use was for sports, but he also has started to go on youtube.

SilverViking

Apr 4, 2012
So it's been day 2 and so far it's been okay. How long after ICS update does it normally start going funny?

The only negative thing I've seen (which I haven't ever had on my smartphone) is the screen flickering on the youtube app for some reason where the keyboard comes up. And sometimes when on a video page, but if I take HD off it greatly reduced. Probably specific to certain videos. It's not a big issue or anything as it's not the ain use of the tablet.

anarox

Jan 26, 2012
So it's been day 2 and so far it's been okay. How long after ICS update does it normally start going funny?

The only negative thing I've seen (which I haven't ever had on my smartphone) is the screen flickering on the youtube app for some reason where the keyboard comes up. And sometimes when on a video page, but if I take HD off it greatly reduced. Probably specific to certain videos. It's not a big issue or anything as it's not the ain use of the tablet.

If you go to the youtube website and click "desktop" at the bottom of the page it acutally works better than the mobile site. Get "stick it" videoplayer, that enables you to watch youtube videos while browsing other sites (android exclusive ;)

in combo with overskreen browser app its an amazing experience that only android can provide! If you have any questions just ask them here and we will try to assist you any way we can
Btw download ics browser +, the default gives me some weird freezes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverViking

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010

There is no 'normally', its random :/.
Some gets it every day (I did on stock asus ics), some gets it rarely, some not at all.

What I think most people here will agree on though, is that the custom roms available generally holds a lot higher stability.
On custom roms my tablet never ran less than 60h before crashing, and EOS build 19 ran for ~230h before giving me a SOD (its a bit hard to say the exact uptime, as I was asleep when it happened :p).

Reactions: SilverViking

SilverViking

Apr 4, 2012
If you go to the youtube website and click "desktop" at the bottom of the page it acutally works better than the mobile site. Get "stick it" videoplayer, that enables you to watch youtube videos while browsing other sites (android exclusive ;)

in combo with overskreen browser app its an amazing experience that only android can provide! If you have any questions just ask them here and we will try to assist you any way we can
Btw download ics browser +, the default gives me some weird freezes.

I've checked to find the app costs £1.19. Don't really want to spend on an app yet. Have downloaded the browser app though.

gaad0701

Mar 7, 2011
Albertville, MN
I am glad I read this thread, I just got this Tablet for my Wife for her birthday to replace her junky laptop.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Thank you all for your input! :D

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

gilpdawg

Sep 22, 2010
I didn't realize so many people were having problems. Mine has only had one random reboot, ever. I'm running Megatron which is CM 9 based, and I won't go back to the ASUS firmware, ever. I like the feel of AOSP better.

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, EOS build 19 ran for ~230h before giving me a SOD, then for ~75h before I restarted it manually, and now its been running for 66h rock solid.

Everyone that complains about reboots and are still on stock firmware - do yourself a favor, get a custom rom!
Compared to the devs around these forums, ASUS's devs looks like a bunch of amateurs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Zero problems with the update, ran it for quite a while until I switched roms, only for features. I'm not sure how or why so many people have problems, but I'm sure you're gonna be able to hear more about one's who did have problems than ones that didn't, since if it was fine, you wouldn't post anything about it.

Sent from my ICS HTC Rezound
    There are only people complaining here because they have the problem. People that don't have any problems, including me, don't come here and try to tell that to the others they just use their tablets like intended. Trust me, the people that DON'T have problems are the majority. ICS is much much MUCH better than Honeycomb/Gingerbread, it's smooth and intuitive.

At least try it out on the tablet and if you don't see spontaneous reboots every 10 minutes (like some people that didn't wipe their tablets properly here) you should return it. ICS is heaven for me, it made my tablet the way it was intended to be.

EDIT: As mentioned, WIPE before you update! It will decrease the chance of problems by 99%!
    Inb4 knoxploration or jtrosky replies to this thread and says ICS is terrible and everybody has problems with it.(this is not inflammatory since they both have me on ignore)

Look, pretty much every tegra2 tablet has people experiencing these problems with ICS. It isn't just exclusive to Asus transformer. However, the majority don't experience any issues.
    If you are really that worried, just get ipads. But there are people who have problems with ipads too.
    That is such a relief to hear! I hope our two tablets don't have any problems.

How do I wipe before updating? Sorry I am new to these terms.

I don't really want an ipad, no flash and that's what we use when browsing websites.

Thank you anyway for the relief. I thought it was in most tablets, but knowing many people also don't have these problems is good I hope.

As soon as you take the tablet out of the box, update to ics before you do anything with it.
    I could be wrong because I have never taken an OTA update but it might be safer to just download the full ICS update file from Asus website instead of letting your tablet download it on wireless.
    What ICS problems? List them, I have no idea what they are since I haven't run into any.

ICS has been fine for me, not a single crash, no problems. Only thing I get is the flickering screen with the screen cut into two primitives once in a while. No big deal, flickering stops after two seconds. Happens mostly when I go into the YouTube app for the first time.

Go update the tablet to ICS as soon as you start using it, then go into the settings and do a factory erase. You probably won't need to do a factory erase if you haven't used it but if you have any issues later someone will tell you to do one anyway. Might as well just do a factory erase after updating to eliminate the possibility that any problems caused later are the result of not doing a factory erase at which point you'll have to do a factory erase and download all of your apps and set up your settings again anyway.