Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 37,011 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bluetooth A2DP audio occasionally drops out for a second on custom ROMs

Tip us?

scotty-dont
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yeah that's the problem with this place... and why I have less than 10 posts.

On second thought, I'm tempted to just wait. It sounds like we will have a proper ICS rom and true kernel on about April 25th, to coincide with the launch of the HTC One S on T-Mobile. I can't find the threads. Hopefully then it will be an issue of the past.

I'm glad I'm not the only one though.

easy_systems
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just a thought....I donít think this has anything to do with CPU performance

Hi, I have a Galaxy 2s with this exact problem but I wonder if I might offer a suggestion as to what could potentially be the cause. I have no idea how to fix it but Iím hoping that what I share here might help someone who knows more about the way these things work to be able to solve the problem.
I have spent much of my career working in Broadcast Radio, the problem I have heard my phone have with audio dropouts followed by either a ramp up of volume back to the previous level OR an audio dropouts followed by a momentary slight speed shift in the audio playback (sounds a bit like an old cassette recorded when the batteries are starting to fail) many people would probably not notice the later problem because it is very subtle and you have to know what youíre listening for.
Anyway, I believe this could be caused because of a lack of word clock sync between the phone and the bluetooth receiver. I say this because there have been times when I have had digital audio devices such as CD players that are connected to an audio console or digital amplifier and with both devices free running in terms of their clock synchronisation exhibit almost exactly the same symptoms.
You see all digital audio devices require that the audio data be put into frames much the same as regular Ethernet data is transmitted around a network is put into frames, however in order for the audio to be at the correct pitch and speed generally speaking both the playback device (Phone) and the receiving device (Bluetooth receiver) need to have the same word clock, otherwise you end up with the two devices running freely and the audio frames wont by in sync.
Depending on the Error correction implemented (sample rate conversion) on the receiver you can get really odd audio results. I think that this is what is causing this problem. Basically the Bluetooth receiver and the phone arenít in sync so every few minutes you get a drop out.
It doesnít seem to happen when you are talking on the phone which makes me think that when you have a call connection as this is bi-directional, the phone is probably synchronised to the Bluetooth device word clock. But when you are listing to music the connection is mono-directional so there is no sync.
Anyway just a thought. Maybe someone out there who understands the way these units synchronise can figure out a fix.

southusc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Mine has random just disconnects from the phone altogether. I have Jawbone Era, Voyager Pro Plus, and a Jabra Wave + and all will just randomly disconnect and have a hard time connecting back to phone audio. It will reconnect to media pretty much first time but won't show coonected to phone audio for some reason unleass I turn off BT, turn off headset, and sometimes even re-boot phone.

Shane_pcs
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I am sure you guys have ruled this out, but this was a common problem with bluetooth audio on android. I haven't had the problem for a long time, but I used to have to disable wifi during my commute due to this dropout. Can you turn off wifi and see if the issue still happens? I was able to identify it by changing the time between wifi scan. If you had custom rom settings you could push it out and sure enough, my bluetooth dropouts happened on the same schedule (2s, 10s, more)

Just a thought.

JaylanPHNX
Old
Thanks Meter 1,215
I had this issue when I tried out juggernaut, so I went right back to Bombardier with Synergy kernel. Anyone have this on any if the ICS roms?

Sent from my beastly Galaxy S 2.

Dirty Pete
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_pcs View Post
I am sure you guys have ruled this out, but this was a common problem with bluetooth audio on android. I haven't had the problem for a long time, but I used to have to disable wifi during my commute due to this dropout. Can you turn off wifi and see if the issue still happens? I was able to identify it by changing the time between wifi scan. If you had custom rom settings you could push it out and sure enough, my bluetooth dropouts happened on the same schedule (2s, 10s, more)

Just a thought.
I disable my wifi while I'm in the car, so this wasn't my issue. Thanks for the suggestion though!

mostlyharmlessnj
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I used to have occasional a2dp problems, however I have not had them since I started using various ICS releasese. The problems I would occasionally have would be a total loss of bluetooth till I rebooted the phone.

Since using Infamous I haven't had the problem other then for some odd reason occasionally having to reenter the PIN #

I'm using a Scoche Bluefusion in my car.

iwasblown
Old
Thanks Meter 63
It had to be the fuse.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

Dirty Pete
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
After upgrading to DARKSIDE's latest ICS rom, this problem has not recurred. I'm assuming that my early thought was correct in that it was some kind of kernel bug.

fusedpositron
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pete View Post
After upgrading to DARKSIDE's latest ICS rom, this problem has not recurred. I'm assuming that my early thought was correct in that it was some kind of kernel bug.
With Darkside and the stock ROM I have not only this problem, but crackly/staticy audio and my phone and car won't communicate once I've shut the car off. I have to completely re-pair the phone. They're bugs in 4.0.3, which Samsung dumped off on us.

4.0.4 via CM9 already doesn't exhibit the connection issue (I have to turn Bluetooth on and then off though) but I'm not sure about the others yet.