Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,401 Members 44,588 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AGPS Patch Triumph 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS

Tip us?

crypted
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4,120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyrez View Post
have the same lock to equator problem after flashed the google no ssl 3.1with cwm.

my rom is cm7 tg reloaded march 4th build freash installed last night, kernel is the default one from this cm7(the OCkernrl?) my location is san jose california. GPS app is the google map. my GPS lock was never as smooth as my pervious htc hero or my wife's lg optimus v.

before applied the agps patch, lock was little bit slow. made a recovery image before install the patch. after patch gps make a rapid fake lock to N0.00 W0.00 near africa then following by the quite slow real lock. restore to the recovery, problem goes away.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

have the same lock to equator problem after flashed the google no ssl 3.1with cwm.
my rom is cm7 reloaded march 4th build. before applied the agps patch, lock was little bit slow. made a recovery image before install the patch. after patch gps make a fake lock to N0.00 W0.00 then following by the quite slow real lock. restore to the recovery, problem goes away.
So you're saying that the normal build worked and the no ssl build did not? Is this a correct assessment?

If so it sounds like the phone requires ssl for gps. Muiu has extra gps config menús now I believe. I wonder if the phone has this in general? Maybe the patch is being overridden and so it requires the SUPL now...

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

wehweh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My GPS wouldnt lock at all before this. Flashed the no-ssl with cwm, now I get a lock on a bogus location, then the real lock quite a while later. I'll try playing with some other ones. They oughta start cooking this into ROMs.

taha1112
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Default wierd gps lock

i flashed this onto miui reportaled 2.0, first it tells me that im somewhere in south atlantic ocean near africa (lol), then it locks on to my position but its still 1 block away from where i live?

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha1112 View Post
i flashed this onto miui reportaled 2.0, first it tells me that im somewhere in south atlantic ocean near africa (lol), then it locks on to my position but its still 1 block away from where i live?
Your GPS is not working properly. You are getting internet and/or tower-based positions. Try a different app or ROM. Consider using GPS Status to see if it truly finds your location with GPS which would indicate ROM or app problems.

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,120

DONATE TO ME
Thread kind of updated to include a new device:
Asus Transformer Prime

This patch can be useful on devices that need the GPS XML file which is prevalent in non-Qualcomm chipsets. So, it can be used in other devices as well.

The new release has no effect on other supported devices unless it is a non-Qualcomm phone.

rune-san
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I attempted to flash this in CWM and it flashed successfully however now my phone no longer boots unfortunately. I get the red motorola logo and another short vibration and that's it. I can see the backlight turns on if i short press the power button and I also get a red light on if I connect it to a charger. If I connect it to my computer I get a removeable disk and an optical drive however neither are accessible if I try to select them.

What ROM you are using?: CM7 (Ticker Guy Final 3-25)
What kernel are you using?: The OC Kernel 1.7.19
What GPS apps you have installed?: Google Maps, Latitude.
Where is your general location: Stoughton, WI
Are you using a case: No
Has your GPS worked fine before: Very broad location
Does it work fine with some apps and not others?: Works with things equally
What else happened around the time your GPS stopped working?: I dont know, trying to get it booting again :P
Have you reviewed the Notes Section: Yep!

Anyone got any ideas on getting this thing booting again? Since it wont boot CWM, won't boot normally, and can't access any storage locations once connected to the computer I can't help but feel that I've really screwed myself at this point..

Oh, won't go into bootloader mode either :\

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,120

DONATE TO ME
Today, AGPS Patch has reached a total number of 28 officially supported devices.

Support was added for the Asus Transformer TF101, Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, Samsung's Galaxy S I9000, and HTC's One X.

I predicted that companies would get wiser and start providing properly built stock ROM's for GPS usage. That was incorrect. I'm willing to research and work with people to bring more devices into the fold.

There have been millions of downloads of my personal xtra.bin data and tens of millions of queries submitted through the DNS pool I maintain for Stratum II time servers. I lost track of the number of ROM's that have incorporated this patch. In fact, v3.x began 11 months ago and has brought worldwide help to the masses.

And remember, I don't have to release new versions of this patch locally because it has been so fine-tuned. But, I'm always working on the xtra.bin data almanac and the Stratum II time servers to keep this thing going strong.

To the few that have donated to support the many, thank you very much. If anyone would like to continue to support this project for growth in more devices and continual data provisioning, please consider donating as well.

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,120

DONATE TO ME
Official support has is now available for more devices. This brings the total officially supported to 32.

Welcome these newbies to the fold:
Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus)
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305
Asus Transformer TF300T
Motorola Droid X2
Samsung Galaxy S 4G

If you appreciate this growing work, always consider clicking the Thanks.

Remember that I pay monthly hosting fees for the space and bandwidth necessary to keep this patch working on the backend. So, please consider donating a few bucks if you're a user. All donations go directly to the patch provisioning and there is absolutely no overhead to benefit me.

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,120

DONATE TO ME

TopNTP - the app.

Quote:
This app does installs a customized gps.conf file for your GPS. It has several different profiles to choose from. We recommend to use the default Google profile but it is up to you. Appart from the profiles you can customize the one chosen.

NTP servers
Derek Gordon maintains a special NTP server pool for you. Dispite what everyone thinks, it is not necessarily the one closest to you which is the best. We consider Derek Gordon's server to be the best option to choose because it has the best data and is most frequently updated.
For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

aGPS Alamanacs
Derek Gordon maintains a special aGPS almanac for devices using Qualcomm or similar chipsets. This xtra.bin data file is updated every 30 minutes and is located on a content delivery system maintained by the generous donations of ther userbase.
For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

Donations
To maintain the server we need money. Donations through this app will be divided between Derek Gordon (Crypted) and Zatta on XDA.
Each star costs 2 Euro and will reduce the waiting time before you can install the patch. 0 star users wait 20 seconds, 1 star users 10, 2 star users only 5 and 3 star users and Premium users can install immediately.
You can become a premium user for only 5 Euro. This is a discount of 1 euro compared to a three star user! We choose this method to allow every one to use all features of this app and because we believe in XDA developers users. Please, don't leech!

Backup and restore
On the first run of this app a backup is made on your SD card. Don't remove it because a backup is only made during the first run (or at an update if you choose to remove it anyway) and no other backup is found on your SD card.

ROM updates
The patch this app provides is located on your /system partition so every time you do update your ROM the patch is overwritten and you will have to redo the patch.
Unless you are using a Cyanogenmod based ROM and your rom has addon.d support. In that case a script will be placed in the addon.d directory to preserve the patch.
It can be disabled in the app's settings but is enabled by default.

Asus users
On ASUS roms a typical file is present at /system/etc/gps, namely the gpsconfig.xml file. This app pathes that file as well, to be specific the PeriodicTimeOutSec parameter. Of course a backup is made of this file as well.
We need bčta testers. Hopefully we can get some useful feedback to optimize this app. The patch itself has been proven to work, we just need to know for as much as possible devices if we can a) really install the patch and b) if the app is sort of clear in its use.

Get it on Google Play!

Tags
gps, lock, satellite, supl