XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Use your GPlayer as a regular Cell Phone

Tip us?

testrider
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncaribe View Post
A few days ago I bought a device called GMATE ($80), a type of smallcell without display or keyboard which is inserted a normal simcard and communicating via Bluetooth to the Samsung Galaxy Player, which means an application is integrated with android, receiving and making phone calls, and SMS, in addition to allowing internet access GPRS.
It's a perfect combination that increases the possibilities of Our Player
With the Gmate app, can your SGP connect to a regular cell phone with bluetooth or it can only connect to the Gmate?

crowelfly
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
With the Gmate app, can your SGP connect to a regular cell phone with bluetooth or it can only connect to the Gmate?
Gmate only.. I tried it with my other android phone and it doesn't work.
I came further when I changed my phone's Bluetooth id to "Gmate". It didn't connect because of a password failure

feika12
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It's seems good

Vilai
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I don't quite understand... So besides buying the Gmate, would i need a sim card as well? secondly so would i practically be using a sim card with a data plan to use with gmate? but wouldnt that defeat the purpose of just using a smart phone with a card in it?.... these are all continuation Q's if the first is a yes lol.

silentdoh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This seems like a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. How well does the device actually work? Does it keep a connection throughout the day, sending and receiving text messages without too much delay? I'm considering using this to replace my old dumbphone, but I'd rather not plunk down a sizable chunk of change with little indication as to how well this thing actually works.

crowelfly
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Question Gmate calling speaker sound

Question: Does the sound come out of the front speaker while calling?
(I don't like to call everywhere with loud back speakers)

Mevordel
Old
Thanks Meter 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowelfly View Post
Question: Does the sound come out of the front speaker while calling?
(I don't like to call everywhere with loud back speakers)
I don't know about GMate, but on Groove IP (and probably others), the front speaker on the 5.0 is quite functional and is used for calls.

crowelfly
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevordel View Post
I don't know about GMate, but on Groove IP (and probably others), the front speaker on the 5.0 is quite functional and is used for calls.
Thank you for the info!
P.S. I like your rom a lot!

atcq28
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Cool!

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app

silentdoh
Old
(Last edited by silentdoh; 18th July 2012 at 02:07 AM.) Reason: Additional information discovered
Thanks Meter 6
EDIT: I HAVE FIXED THE MAIN ISSUE WITH MY GMATE, MORE INFORMATION BELOW

Well, my Gmate+ came in the mail today, and I've been playing with it for a little while now and am able to give first impressions. First off, the device is much smaller than I imagined, it easily fits in my palm, the vibration (on the plus version) is very loud. As for the function itself, it works. You can call and send and receive text messages (haven't tested the web access yet) with a few minor (and one major) annoyances. My device is currently a US SGP 4.0 running Terrasilent 1.1 and EtherealRom 2.3.

Minor annoyances I have found with the Gmate+:
- Notifications (read: texts) do not make noise/vibrate while the screen is locked. Once the screen goes on, if you do have a new text, it notifies you, kind of ruining the point of the notification.

- Text messages you send have proper time stamps, for some reason, the ones you receive are off by a few hours, as if the sender is in a different time zone

- Seems to be no way to delete contacts from the address book, even uninstalling, wiping data, reinstalling didn't do anything about this.

Major annoyance with the Gmate+:

- It disconnects, and by that I mean it disconnects ALL THE TIME, the device is pretty much useless because of this, it will be fine for a few minutes, then disconnect, regardless of how close the Gmate is to my SGP. Every few minutes, I'd check it, and guess what? No connection. Sometimes it would reconnect, sometimes I'd have to manually do it, sometimes I'd have to restart one or both devices to get it to work again.

Seeing as everything the device does it actually does quite well when actually connected, I want to rule this problem to some battery saving tweak in my kernel/rom. As such, I'll be returning to stock and trying the Gmate again to see if any of these issues are cleared up. As it stands, I have a 75$ paperweight that buzzes occasionally.

EDIT: After flashing back to stock and noticing no change, I began searching around and found other people having similar problems with similar devices, mainly connecting their smartphones to the bluetooth sound system in their car. Turns out in Deep Sleep, the device has issues keeping constant bluetooth connection. After downloading an app (Bluetooth KeepAlive: ~$1.30) on the market that keeps the device from entering this mode, the Gmate no longer disconnects, and has remained connected for several days, having no problem with calls or text messages at any time. In summary, with this app, I am now happy to recommend the Gmate to anyone who is looking for this kind of functionality. Guess it goes to show that non compatible apps are listed in the Play Store as non working for a reason

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silentdoh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]