XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't Turn On?

Tip us?

Dvicens
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy [Q] Can't Turn On?

I cant get this thing to boot back up. I have tried everything there is. I tried pin reset, hard reset, nv flash restore, and i opened up the streak and pulled the battery out and still couldnt get it to power up. Is there ANY kind of fix for this that any of you might know of. YES I SEARCHED EXTENSIVELY.

TheManii
Old
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,526
Firstly the reset button is the equiv of pulling the batt, it's pretty much a hardware level button and not software level.

Have you tried charging it for a few hours, if it still doesnt enter any boot mode (normal, fastboot, APX, recovery) then it's likely dead at the hardware level.
XDA Wiki Moderator
Nexus 4: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P) 2013 N7: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P)
iTouch 5G: 6.1.2 (10B146) Surface Pro 2: Win8.1u1 (6.3.9600.17085.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)

giveen
Old
Thanks Meter 1,535

DONATE TO ME
By the fact that you said pulled battery out, I am assuming you are talking about something else or are just clueless.

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveen View Post
By the fact that you said pulled battery out, I am assuming you are talking about something else or are just clueless.
Maybe a Dell Streak 5 which I believe has a removable battery?
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

giveen
Old
Thanks Meter 1,535

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Maybe a Dell Streak 5 which I believe has a removable battery?
exactly, but then he was talking about using NVFlash, but the Streak5 doesn't have a nvidia chip.

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
exactly, but then he was talking about using NVFlash, but the Streak5 doesn't have a nvidia chip.
Hmm, I didn't know that. I'm with you now, what are they talking about?

stevedebi
Old
Thanks Meter 242
Quote:
I thought that NVFlash was Non-Volatile Flash memory? EDIT: It comes up on our Linux machines here at work during the boot.
Phone: HTC One M8 T-Mobile, Stock ROM KitKat
Tablets: Lenovo IdeaPad A2019 9" Tablet / ICS | Dell Venue 7" Tablet / JB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite T925u / Windows 8.1
Former Phones: Ericsson T-28, Ericsson R600 World, T-Mobile Windows Phone, HP 6310, Sony-Ericsson M600, HTC Pharos, Asus P527, HTC Tilt2, HTC HD2, HTC Amaze, HTC M7

TheManii
Old
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,526
the NV in nvflash stands (likely) for nvidia, NV is what they use if they need to prefix something,

one example are opengl extensions, any nvidia specific extenstion is:
gl_nv_* and the nv is removed when it become fully standardized.

It could stand for non voliatile, but that term isnt really used anymore as nv memory is rather vague now, as it could be anything from e/p/p/rom to flash memory
XDA Wiki Moderator
Nexus 4: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P) 2013 N7: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P)
iTouch 5G: 6.1.2 (10B146) Surface Pro 2: Win8.1u1 (6.3.9600.17085.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)

Lookin4Trouble
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Default Power LED?

First, are you using an original Dell charger? Most phone/tablet chargers on the market don't supply the necessary voltage/amperage to force begin-charging. If you're using a different charger, that may be your problem (battery totally dead) - I can't find a source for a 5.35v@2.0A charger, but I did find that I can charge my Streak with an iPad charger (5.0v@2.1A)

If you're using the stock charger or an iPad charger, does the Power LED turn on when you plug it in?
If it comes up solid red, you need to let it charge.
If it comes up solid orange or green, you're charged, and it may be the video cable's come loose/undone, so there's just no further indications when you power it on.
If it comes up flashing red, leave your streak plugged in and push the reset pin button. From that point, it should come up solid red (let it charge before trying to boot)
If it doesn't turn on at all, you may have a damaged charging port (VERY common issue) or a shorted motherboard (not as common but too common for my taste).

Try the above and let us know.

L4T

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManii View Post
the NV in nvflash stands (likely) for nvidia, NV is what they use if they need to prefix something,

one example are opengl extensions, any nvidia specific extenstion is:
gl_nv_* and the nv is removed when it become fully standardized.

It could stand for non voliatile, but that term isnt really used anymore as nv memory is rather vague now, as it could be anything from e/p/p/rom to flash memory
Yes, the NV in NVFlash stands for NVidia - NVFlash is only used for download mode flashing of boards with NVidia chipsets - for comparison, ODIN is applicable to other chipsets flashing download mode...

L4T

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4Trouble View Post
First, are you using an original Dell charger? Most phone/tablet chargers on the market don't supply the necessary voltage/amperage to force begin-charging. If you're using a different charger, that may be your problem (battery totally dead) - I can't find a source for a 5.35v@2.0A charger, but I did find that I can charge my Streak with an iPad charger (5.0v@2.1A)

If you're using the stock charger or an iPad charger, does the Power LED turn on when you plug it in?
If it comes up solid red, you need to let it charge.
If it comes up solid orange or green, you're charged, and it may be the video cable's come loose/undone, so there's just no further indications when you power it on.
If it comes up flashing red, leave your streak plugged in and push the reset pin button. From that point, it should come up solid red (let it charge before trying to boot)
If it doesn't turn on at all, you may have a damaged charging port (VERY common issue) or a shorted motherboard (not as common but too common for my taste).

Try the above and let us know.

L4T

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Yes, the NV in NVFlash stands for NVidia - NVFlash is only used for download mode flashing of boards with NVidia chipsets - for comparison, ODIN is applicable to other chipsets flashing download mode...

L4T
Although the specs call for a 5.35v@2.0A charger. It's a power supply and the charger is in the device for one but it never draws anywhere near 2A as I've measured it. The most it draws is around 1.2A during boot up and maybe you've noticed that the charging indicator goes OFF during boot up also. After bootup it draws around 800mA.

Some have had mixed success when using cigarette/power point automobile USB adapters. Even a 1A model "may" work if you boot up first before pugging it in. Another trick is to start with a fully charged device. Not sure what the Streak looks for to cause "more" problems than others using different models of power supplies.

There was a whole thread about this or it went OT somewhere here.