Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 46,282 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] usb port cover nubbin

Tip us?

wjcarpenter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Angry [Q] usb port cover nubbin

I find the little flappy-doodle cover on the USB port on the Sidekick 4G to be somewhat annoying. I would just yank it off, but maybe when I sell it 10 years from now, the new owner would like to have it in place.

Has anyone taken the plunge and pulled the thing off? Does it look like you could put it back on with a minimum of duct tape?

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
If you can pull it straight out, I think it'll pop free in a way that it can be shoved back in. There's just a little bulb on the end of the plastic piece where it enters the case to retain it.

wjcarpenter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Right, that's my theory as well from the looks of it. But have you actually done it? I don't want to yank it off first as a way of finding out the theory is a little bit wrongish.

d3xtro.
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I know it can get annoying popping it in and out whenever you want to plug it in, but it is there for a reason. They annoyance may be worth preventing crud from getting in there when it is in your pocket or something.

But yeah, the only thing I could think of has already been said, just pulling it off in hopes that you will be able to put it back in later.

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I don't think you're going to find anyone who's pulled it off to get a detailed report from. I'm going by having taken mine apart and seen what holds it in place.

DuctTapedGoat
Old
(Last edited by DuctTapedGoat; 14th April 2012 at 02:49 AM.) Reason: Added (SAFE) and "Bulb Reform" bit.
Thanks Meter 2
Default Yes.

You can remove it on the SK4G safely IF.

(SAFE SAFE SAFE)
You open the case, and push it out from the inside. (Guaranteed to work)
(SAFE SAFE SAFE)

(RISKY RISKY RISKY)
Pull it out straight and it will remove and be able to be reinserted. You have to be sure that it is not cold (tension snapping) but not heated too much (stretch snapping). Just above room temperature is adequate. If it does break off inside, remove the bit inside, and trim the post so it can be comfortably reinserted as an unattached cover, or open the case, insert it and melt it so it reforms the bulb.
(RISKY RISKY RISKY)

wjcarpenter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Yeah, I sort of had in mind your "safe" plan for pushing from the inside. Just reluctant since taking a phone apart is always a big pain. Looking at the case, though, I might not have to dive down too far and have too many screws lost in the carpet during the process. :)

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I cover the take apart in my hardware reference guide.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1466906

wjcarpenter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Wow, Jax184, that reference posting you made is really nice. Thanks for doing it and pointing to it from here. Looks like it should be pretty easy to get to the nubbin without any tightly wound springs hitting me in the eye.