Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

OP alex8787

5th April 2012, 08:42 PM   |  #11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardholio

I can confirm the Motorola Lapdock 100 works just fine with the Droid 3. It lacks Webtop and some things are minor annoyances (like Swype pops out whenever you click a text box. Either click esc to make it go away or pull out the phone's keyboard a hair) In fact I'm typing this response from my Lapdock. The USB keyboard and mouse work just fine (I think that's built into Android) and my wireless mouse even works when I plug the dongle into the USB replicator on the back. I think the replicator also will accept a thumb drive or a keyboard.

Is this setup still working? I ask because I read a post on the Motorola forum where a guy's D3/Lapdock 100 worked as you describe until he took a call. Once the call was over, it went back to simple HDMI mirror, with no keyboard/mouse functionality, even after reboots, etc.
12th April 2012, 01:41 AM   |  #12  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
I picked one of these up for $59 and free shipping a few days ago, but it hasn't shipped yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190662411549

If the connectors need to be swapped around, I'll do it. It would be nice if it was a touchscreen, but I'm not going to complain too much. Will report back here the results and pictures if needed.
13th April 2012, 04:58 AM   |  #13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
I got one of the Bionic docks in the $59 deal as well. It arrived today and the connectors do need to be flipped around. While the lapdock's native resolution is 1366x768, the Droid 3 will only output at 960x540. I'm hoping to use it with an RDP app, but none of the RDP apps work well with it.

Let me know if there are any questions on the functionality.
14th April 2012, 11:25 PM   |  #14  
Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 333
 
1,306 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdombrosky

I got one of the Bionic docks in the $59 deal as well. It arrived today and the connectors do need to be flipped around. While the lapdock's native resolution is 1366x768, the Droid 3 will only output at 960x540. I'm hoping to use it with an RDP app, but none of the RDP apps work well with it.

Let me know if there are any questions on the functionality.

Do the keyboard and mouse work? I have a Atrix 4G one that I got from ebay for $59 sitting new in the box.
15th April 2012, 11:14 PM   |  #15  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdombrosky

I got one of the Bionic docks in the $59 deal as well. It arrived today and the connectors do need to be flipped around. While the lapdock's native resolution is 1366x768, the Droid 3 will only output at 960x540. I'm hoping to use it with an RDP app, but none of the RDP apps work well with it.

Let me know if there are any questions on the functionality.

Why would the D3 only have an out put of 960x540? Can't it produce 1080p out on that HDMI connector?
16th April 2012, 05:01 AM   |  #16  
Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 333
 
1,306 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris

Why would the D3 only have an out put of 960x540? Can't it produce 1080p out on that HDMI connector?

It outputs at 1080p, or at least my TV reports it as that but it looks like its just an upconverted 950x540 picture, since its duplicating the phone's screen. What would be nice is an option to have HDMI only (the phone screen is off) so it could actually produce a real 1920x1080 display, the hardware should be capable.
17th April 2012, 10:56 PM   |  #17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
I pretty sure the D3 only outputs above 960x540 when you are playing a video only. I wonder if we can mod the D3 so it can always output to 1080p.
17th April 2012, 11:41 PM   |  #18  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
OK, so my $59 Atrix Lapdock showed up a few minutes ago. I opened up the carrier dock and flipped around the connectors. The dock needs to be dremelled a little bit, but once it's plugged in, the video is mirrored and the touchpad and keyboard function normally. It's just like an Android powered laptop at this point, with a 3G connection. Need to dig around for the webtop/lapdock app now and see if that's something I should care about. The resolution looks to be exactly the same as the phone, for now. I'm thinking a little hack could get the resolution upped.

Stay tuned.
17th April 2012, 11:59 PM   |  #19  
Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 333
 
1,306 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris

OK, so my $59 Atrix Lapdock showed up a few minutes ago. I opened up the carrier dock and flipped around the connectors. The dock needs to be dremelled a little bit, but once it's plugged in, the video is mirrored and the touchpad and keyboard function normally. It's just like an Android powered laptop at this point, with a 3G connection. Need to dig around for the webtop/lapdock app now and see if that's something I should care about. The resolution looks to be exactly the same as the phone, for now. I'm thinking a little hack could get the resolution upped.

Stay tuned.

Thanks, the Motorola Gingerbread webtop app hasn't been ported because of RAM limitations. The Ubuntu on Android project is claiming 512MB as a minimum and will be released open source eventually so their is hope of running that someday if someone can port it. It requires no kernel modifications and runs on top of Android so it should be possible.

I will probably mod my Atrix 4G lapdock at some point.
18th April 2012, 12:24 AM   |  #20  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

Thanks, the Motorola Gingerbread webtop app hasn't been ported because of RAM limitations. The Ubuntu on Android project is claiming 512MB as a minimum and will be released open source eventually so their is hope of running that someday if someone can port it. It requires no kernel modifications and runs on top of Android so it should be possible.

I will probably mod my Atrix 4G lapdock at some point.

That's kind of what I was seeing, too. There appears to be other webtop-ish like apps on the market that do things when you plug them into HDMI. Researching them now.

But yeah, the Ubuntu on Android looks to be badass!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lapdock
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes