XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] aokp, aosp, ics 4.0.4

Tip us?

iniz94
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Default [q] aokp, aosp, ics 4.0.4

So I know what AOKP and AOSP both stand for, but I'm not quite sure what they are. What makes it so that some ROMs called themselves AOSP but others don't? I thought AOSP just meant Android Open Source Project... so wouldn't every ROM be an AOSP that isn't the stock Sprint ROM?

Another question I have is about Android 4.0.4. From my understanding, most ROMs are Android 4.0.3. But if the Sprint leaks are all 4.0.3, where are people getting 4.0.4 from? What are the major differences anyways?

Sorry for the noob questions. I've just been wondering for awhile and whenever I search, I can never find a good description asides from what the acronyms AOKP and AOSP stand for.
== iniz94 ==
Inactive-ish on XDA since the beginning of college (August 2012)

Current Info
Phone: Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint
Android Version: 4.4
ROM: Currently Stock

Past Phones
HTC Hero: March 2010 - January 2012
Epic 4G Touch: January 2012 - February 2012 (bricked - emmc partitions)
Epic 4G Touch: February 2012 to November 2013
Nexus 5: November 2013 - Present

faceyourfaces
Old
(Last edited by faceyourfaces; 13th April 2012 at 12:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Most roms that call themselves AOSP are made to look as close as possible to stock android. Also, the reason we are able to have Android 4.0.4 roms is because those roms are ports from other devices rather than built straight from the leaks. The only noticeable difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 is better battery life.
My Androids:
Sprint Galaxy S II (Since Sept. 2011)
Asus Transformer Prime (Since Feb. 2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faceyourfaces For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iniz94
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceyourfaces View Post
Most roms that call themselves AOSP are made to look as close as possible to stock android. Also, the reason we are able to have Android 4.0.4 roms is because those roms are ports from other devices rather than built straight from the leaks. The only noticeable difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 is better battery life.
Ohh makes sense, thanks. What about AOKP then? Would that be everything else? I always heard that Kang meant to either improve on someone's ideas or steal it.
== iniz94 ==

Current Info

Past Phones

euphoria
Old
Thanks Meter 72
AOSP is straight up Android, no manufacturer over lay (TouchWiz, Sense, Blur). The AOSP roms tend to have a lot more tweaks and customizability since they are built from Android source, and our devs, as generous as they are, like to include goodies for us to make our phones as cool as possible.
Considering a Dropbox account? Do it through this link to get me and you more space!

http://db.tt/g6SylRMy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euphoria For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-
Old
Thanks Meter 3489

DONATE TO ME
AoSP (aokp,cm9,codename) are built from Google's source repos. This is also where 4.0.4 is from, its the next update for ICS with many bug fixes including video(Netflix,YouTube) and video in browser working, as well as many other numerous bug fixes within the code. The manufacturers have 4.0.3 have already put alot of work into it and will continue using it as their base until they have the initial release out then will start merging 4.0.4 into their upstream, to be included I'm the next round of OTA's. Anything 4.0.4 is AOSP meaning pure android no 3rd party manufacturer UI such as TouchWiz(Samsung),Blur(Motorola),or Sense(HTC). AOSP is what ships on the Nexus line, also called the Google experience.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to -EViL-KoNCEPTz- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

faceyourfaces
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by iniz94 View Post
Ohh makes sense, thanks. What about AOKP then? Would that be everything else? I always heard that Kang meant to either improve on someone's ideas or steal it.
Kang does mean stolen code. AOKP is a rom built by a group that likes to call themselves Team Kang.
My Androids:
Sprint Galaxy S II (Since Sept. 2011)
Asus Transformer Prime (Since Feb. 2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to faceyourfaces For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iniz94
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Makes a lot of sense, thanks everyone! Never knew that aosp was a customized vanilla rom

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
== iniz94 ==

Current Info

Past Phones

CyberpodS2
Old
Thanks Meter 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceyourfaces View Post
Kang does mean stolen code. AOKP is a rom built by a group that likes to call themselves Team Kang.
Stolen? Like from other programmers Roms? Does the scene support this?

Sent from my Epic 4g Touch running Blazer 4.1 using xda premium

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-
Old
Thanks Meter 3489

DONATE TO ME
Android is open source meaning no one owns anything, its all shared under the Apache license. So technically no one is stealing anything, a Kang is using other developers code and either adding your own onto it or combining multiple sources to make the existing code better

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

abusedcloth
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I have a quick question, why do I have to go back to a rooted EL26 to flash AOKP/AOSP? Why can't I use the current recovery like rouge recovery? Is it not the same?