[q] aokp, aosp, ics 4.0.4

OP iniz94

13th April 2012, 01:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 145

715 posts
More
So I know what AOKP and AOSP both stand for, but I'm not quite sure what they are. What makes it so that some ROMs called themselves AOSP but others don't? I thought AOSP just meant Android Open Source Project... so wouldn't every ROM be an AOSP that isn't the stock Sprint ROM?

Another question I have is about Android 4.0.4. From my understanding, most ROMs are Android 4.0.3. But if the Sprint leaks are all 4.0.3, where are people getting 4.0.4 from? What are the major differences anyways?

Sorry for the noob questions. I've just been wondering for awhile and whenever I search, I can never find a good description asides from what the acronyms AOKP and AOSP stand for.
13th April 2012, 01:48 AM   |  #2  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 21

130 posts
More
Most roms that call themselves AOSP are made to look as close as possible to stock android. Also, the reason we are able to have Android 4.0.4 roms is because those roms are ports from other devices rather than built straight from the leaks. The only noticeable difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 is better battery life.
Last edited by faceyourfaces; 13th April 2012 at 01:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faceyourfaces For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 02:20 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Chicago

715 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceyourfaces

Most roms that call themselves AOSP are made to look as close as possible to stock android. Also, the reason we are able to have Android 4.0.4 roms is because those roms are ports from other devices rather than built straight from the leaks. The only noticeable difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 is better battery life.

Ohh makes sense, thanks. What about AOKP then? Would that be everything else? I always heard that Kang meant to either improve on someone's ideas or steal it.
13th April 2012, 02:32 AM   |  #4  
Flag Pacific NW
Thanks Meter: 72

248 posts
More
AOSP is straight up Android, no manufacturer over lay (TouchWiz, Sense, Blur). The AOSP roms tend to have a lot more tweaks and customizability since they are built from Android source, and our devs, as generous as they are, like to include goodies for us to make our phones as cool as possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euphoria For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 03:09 AM   |  #5  
Flag Tampa Bay area
Thanks Meter: 3,498

6,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
AoSP (aokp,cm9,codename) are built from Google's source repos. This is also where 4.0.4 is from, its the next update for ICS with many bug fixes including video(Netflix,YouTube) and video in browser working, as well as many other numerous bug fixes within the code. The manufacturers have 4.0.3 have already put alot of work into it and will continue using it as their base until they have the initial release out then will start merging 4.0.4 into their upstream, to be included I'm the next round of OTA's. Anything 4.0.4 is AOSP meaning pure android no 3rd party manufacturer UI such as TouchWiz(Samsung),Blur(Motorola),or Sense(HTC). AOSP is what ships on the Nexus line, also called the Google experience.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to -EViL-KoNCEPTz- For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 03:10 AM   |  #6  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 21

130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iniz94

Ohh makes sense, thanks. What about AOKP then? Would that be everything else? I always heard that Kang meant to either improve on someone's ideas or steal it.

Kang does mean stolen code. AOKP is a rom built by a group that likes to call themselves Team Kang.
The Following User Says Thank You to faceyourfaces For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 03:14 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Chicago

715 posts
More
Makes a lot of sense, thanks everyone! Never knew that aosp was a customized vanilla rom

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
13th April 2012, 03:55 AM   |  #8  
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 410

1,171 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceyourfaces

Kang does mean stolen code. AOKP is a rom built by a group that likes to call themselves Team Kang.

Stolen? Like from other programmers Roms? Does the scene support this?

Sent from my Epic 4g Touch running Blazer 4.1 using xda premium
13th April 2012, 03:59 AM   |  #9  
Flag Tampa Bay area
Thanks Meter: 3,498

6,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Android is open source meaning no one owns anything, its all shared under the Apache license. So technically no one is stealing anything, a Kang is using other developers code and either adding your own onto it or combining multiple sources to make the existing code better

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
13th April 2012, 05:48 AM   |  #10  
Flag Long Beach
Thanks Meter: 49

246 posts
More
I have a quick question, why do I have to go back to a rooted EL26 to flash AOKP/AOSP? Why can't I use the current recovery like rouge recovery? Is it not the same?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread