Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[SOLVED] Opinions wanted: Rooted vs. CM, etc. EDITED: SD-install of CM.

OP bigrat

12th April 2012, 05:27 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 431

2,248 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J515OP

1. Because by breaching the SD card wall the user can potentially make changes to the stock B&N that will cause issues and possibly void their warranty. If the concern is to leave stock alone by using the SD card method then they probably will not want to do anything to potentially mess up emmc. This is a consideration for a user that only wants to run from SD card that they may be limited to the space seen on the SD by default by the ROM and not the extra internal space.

You probably confuse the eMMC system partitions and the eMMC /media partition. The eMMC /media partition is for us to use, it won't hurt the "stock OS/kernel" at all.

Quote:

These are just considerations that people not familiar with bootable SD cards may want to know about.

JP

Sure, agree, but you know, say that we have a 16GB uSD card, if utilize internal memory, we have a full 16GB (don't bother to convert) as personal storage, yes.
If running ROM from a 16GB uSD card, we still have roughly 13GB left for personal storage.
12th April 2012, 07:06 PM   |  #12  
Northern CA
Thanks Meter: 28

84 posts
Yep, I agree. Over all a bootable uSD with CM7 is a great way to go. Taking it one step further, if you use a 32GB card you really have quite a bit of space even if you only use the space on the card. This is a solid option particularly if you don't want to mess with eMMC or just have something else on eMMC entirely.

Back to the original question I still say CM7 on eMMC or uSD card is the way to go unless you need the stock B&N functions or layout. In that case root would be better than straight stock.

2 cents

JP
12th April 2012, 11:39 PM   |  #13  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

75 posts
Guys, I really appreciate all the suggestions. I ordered two 32GB Sandisk cards, I'll probably just boot from them until maybe the warranty period is up. 32GB is a lot of space...
12th April 2012, 11:53 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I've been running on an SD card for a while now but I'm considering going dual boot on the eMCC. What are the pros/cons for doing that?
13th April 2012, 12:10 AM   |  #15  
Northern CA

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_de

I've been running on an SD card for a while now but I'm considering going dual boot on the eMCC. What are the pros/cons for doing that?

Voiding your warranty (if you still have one) and the need to be slightly proficient with recovery either from internal or on a bootable uSD card (in case something goes wrong and you need to reflash) are the only cons I can think of.

Pros are possibly smoother (depending on the performance of the uSD card you were using) access to a straight data uSD card through the slot since you won't have to take it up with a bootable card and the ability to keep your ROM and data/backups completely separate. The last one would be for example if your current bootable card became corrupted and non-readable you might not be able to boot it or recover any backups you had saved on it possibly leading to complete loss of the card and the need to start from scratch. This would be avoidable with a little precaution though. Still it's a pro that if you back up the eMMC to the SD card and eMMC crashes you can restore backups from the card.
13th April 2012, 08:11 AM   |  #16  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

75 posts
So, just so that I'm clear here, I'll summarize (in case anyone else wants to know this):

If I wish to install CM, I need to create a bootable uSD card with the image I want. Once I've done this, I can boot directly from this image. If I choose to do this, I do not need to root or modify my NC. Should I wish to return to the original firmware because my NC dies or whatever, all I need to do is pull the uSD card out.

If I do this, I will have access to the remaining storage of the uSD card, and the /media slice on emmc.

The only media/B&N content that I will not have access to will be that content which requires the original NC reader. Pretty much everything else will be better - I can overclock the NC, have access to normal GApps, bluetooth access, Youtube, Flash, games, etc, everything that having CM gives you.

Using the uSD for booting means I will not be able to swap the card out while the NC is running, and is really the only thing I'm giving up here.

Please feel free to correct me where I'm wrong here, and thanks to everybody for the answers.
13th April 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #17  
Kay See Emmoh
Thanks Meter: 131

288 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrat

If I do this, I will have access to the remaining storage of the uSD card, and the /media slice on emmc.

\>>> Forget the eMMC. The eMMC is not the memory you are looking for. <<</

To me, the whole purpose of booting to the uSD is to forget, leave pristine, ignore anything on internal memory. Get a 16G Sandisk and the eMMC shouoldn't be worth your time. Better yet, http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...g=dealswoot-20
13th April 2012, 05:10 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 431

2,248 posts
Quote:

If I wish to install CM ...

If I was you, I would say "If I wish to run CM from the external uSD card ...."
13th April 2012, 07:37 PM   |  #19  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,697

8,424 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISRy

\>>> Forget the eMMC. The eMMC is not the memory you are looking for. <<</

There is no reason you should not use your emmc media partition in addition to the balance of the SD card. It is there so you might as well use it (especially if you have the full 5GB version). You can never have enough storage space no matter how big your SD card. I have a 16GB card with CM9 on it and have it almost full and emmc media (5GB) almost full too.
13th April 2012, 09:49 PM   |  #20  
Northern CA

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

There is no reason you should not use your emmc media partition in addition to the balance of the SD card. It is there so you might as well use it (especially if you have the full 5GB version). You can never have enough storage space no matter how big your SD card. I have a 16GB card with CM9 on it and have it almost full and emmc media (5GB) almost full too.

There definitely appears to be two schools of thought here. With cloud options these days on board storage is really becoming less of an issue (Dropbox, Skydrive, Box etc.).

It is nice to have an informed decision based on both options but at the end of the day it is a preference call.

JP

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread