[GUIDE] Getting Started With Your G2x

Search This thread

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
Yes, this guide is outdated a bit. I lost my job and in between school, 3 kids, and writing resumes, I do not have the time to do the proper research and update this. I apologize for my desertion, however, if anyone would like to take it over, feel free to copy/paste the contents of this post and repost, update, and request a sticky from the mods.

Disclaimer
If you have an LG P999 (Not the P990!) you should not brick while using this guide. If you do happen to brick your device, I will not accept responsibility for it. Nor will I support you. There is more than enough information in our section to fully troubleshoot almost any known problem. If I link to a thread, please read AT LEAST the original post (OP) in its entirety before taking the steps it contains. If a method I linked does not work, please let me know. I don’t have the time to read every post on every thread on every section.

This guide is for Windows users only. If you are on a Mac or Linux box, there may be ways of doing this, but I don’t have any way of testing it. You’re on your own.

Purpose
So you just got the LG P999 (T-Mobile G2x or Wind O2x) or you’ve had it for a while and finally decided to root it. This is an updated step-by-step guide on what you need to do in order to unleash your device.

Credit
Thank you to all of the developers and scripters out there. I didn’t do any of the work and I claim no rights to anything linked in this guide.

Thanks to:
KiNG OMaR
jboxer
Volk
kairi_zeroblade
Mr Rusty
phburks
All the other people who contributed to all of these methods.
Anyone who spends their free time coding, modding, troubleshooting, helping, and a special thanks to anyone who does his or her research.

General Information
This guide assumes you’ve had your phone long enough to have gotten T-Mobile’s 2.3.3 Gingerbread update by now. If you’re on 2.2.2 Froyo, search on how to update to 2.3.3 Gingerbread as it will upgrade (maybe?) your radio as well.

If you are an advanced user and coming from a different phone and are used to different practices, let me break it down for you. The bootloader and radio are already unlocked (or S-OFF, if you will). There are only 2 radios which may actually be exactly the same, but they are not flashable zips. All ROMs are compatible with either radio.

All links are tested and up-to-date as of 11 April 2012.

Step 1: CWM
Install ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) via NVFlash. This should always be your first step no matter what you intend to do with your device. Installing CWM will allow you to flash roms, kernels, etc., as well as recover from minor bricks or bad flashes. DO NOT install CWM via Rom Manager. The following thread will help you install NVidia's APX drivers and flash CWM via NVFlash:
[RECOVERY]CWM-Based Recovery 5.0.2.8 For P999(Internal & External SD)
After completing this step, you will be able to access CWM at any time from a power off state by holding the Power and Volume Down buttons until the white “LG” logo goes away and the blue “LG” logo appears. Release the buttons when you see the blue "LG" logo and wait for the CWM menu to pop up. I recommend at this point that you test it out to make sure it works and that you perform a backup with CWM. Once backed up, copy it to your computer, burn it to a CD, archive it on your tape drive, whatever. It’s just good practice to keep these things in case someone’s link goes down and you really needed that file to return to stock.

Step 2: Decision
Here, you will make a decision:
Are there any apps that you need to save your progress in (for example, Angry Birds scores, etc.) and can’t simply be reinstalled?
If no, skip to Step 4: Flash
If yes, proceed with Step 3: Root

Step 3: Root & Backup
I know, I know. There are apps that can backup your angry birds scores and all that, but this makes reinstalling all of your apps easier. First, you need to download an app to backup your apps. Titanium Backup is my favorite. The price tag seems a little high at first glance, but it’s worth it, especially if you plan on doing this to other phones in the future. Download Titanium Backup from the market, and purchase the PRO key. If you want to go the cheap route, there are alternatives. Next, we need root access. Achieve this by following this post:
[ROOT] G2X Gingerbread 2.3.3. stock ROM with flashable zip in Clockworkmod Recovery
You have a rooted phone and Titanium Backup now. Open Titanium Backup and allow it root access. Press menu, then “batch” and backup user apps only. Never backup system data. You will only get yelled at when people find out that you backup system data.

Step 4: Wipe & Flash
Select a ROM. There are many to choose from (stock Gingerbread, AOSP-based Gingerbread, AOSP-based Ice Cream Sandwich, MIUI). If you’re not sure what you’re looking at, flash one from each category and play with it for 30 minutes to make a final decision. Please read the OP for the ROM you are flashing and follow their directions. If it is not based on the stock ROM, you will need to flash a zip that contains Google’s Apps (gapps). Read your ROM’s OP for the details on this.

When you flash a new ROM, at a minimum, perform the “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” in CWM just prior to flashing the ROM. This will clear old data and cache. I recommend using:
[TOOL] G2x Nullifier [UPDATED!] 26 March Cache only Nullifier!
The dual wipe nullifier is in my opinion, not needed. Single wipe will be fine. Keep in mind, once you nullify, you need to flash a ROM immediately after you nullify! If you reboot after nullifying, you have a soft-brick that should be recoverable, but that’s extra grief you don’t need. So, again, make sure you have a ROM ready to flash on your SD card BEFORE you use the Nullifier.

Step 5: Restore & Enjoy
If you backed up your apps in Step 3: Root & Backup, open up the Market and redownload Titanium Backup and the PRO key (or whatever cheap alternative you decide on) and start it up, granting root access. Press menu, “batch” and restore missing apps with data.

All done! If you want to underclock or overclock or flash kernels, you need to read up on it. They will not be included in this guide.

I am open to *constructive* feedback. If your feedback is “this guide sucks,” move on. I don’t need you here. If you have a legitimate problem with the contents and maybe a suggestion on how to fix it, by all means, let me know. I know there are a couple guides out there, but some are outdated. Just putting a fresh one up for those just joining the game.

I don’t ask for donations. Save them for the people who do the real work. If I helped you out, just hit the thanks button.

Last edited:

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
Great guide, only issue is in step 3 you say to gain root. The way we gain root is to flash a rom that already has it. I would recommend backing up data before that point us possible (i don't remember if backup apps can be run without root)
And, you might want to link to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24087341 thread for the cwm flashing, it's one file to download and one thing to run, helluva lot simpler for a first timer

Also, pm a mod and ask if you can get this stickied. We need something like this up top :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: r4d14n7

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
Awesome Guide. I was thinking of doing something like that for noobs like me. You can include OC/UV guide from Klatmon
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558080

Its a great guide. Plus you will have a complete G2x guide for dummies after this as Step 6 (optional) .

Yeah, my original thought was that the oc/uv guide was a little advanced for the level of the guide. I think I will add it though, thanks for the tip!

Great guide, only issue is in step 3 you say to gain root. The way we gain root is to flash a rom that already has it. I would recommend backing up data before that point us possible (i don't remember if backup apps can be run without root)
And, you might want to link to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24087341 thread for the cwm flashing, it's one file to download and one thing to run, helluva lot simpler for a first timer

Also, pm a mod and ask if you can get this stickied. We need something like this up top :)

The root method I linked to is merely a flashable zip with superuser. It keeps the current rom but adds root access so that people can back up their stuff prior to flashing.

I will add the easy flash for cwm for sure though. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Klathmon

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
Yeah, my original thought was that the oc/uv guide was a little advanced for the level of the guide. I think I will add it though, thanks for the tip!

The root method I linked to is merely a flashable zip with superuser. It keeps the current rom but adds root access so that people can back up their stuff prior to flashing.

I will add the easy flash for cwm for sure though. Thanks for the feedback!

Lol my bad i didnt even read the link :)

harrytorta

Apr 12, 2012
Don't we also have the option to create an update.zip from TBuPRO to reinstall all previous apps from within recovery??? I have read about it but never done it. And thanks for this great tut.

Last edited:

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
Don't we also have the option to create an update.zip from TBuPRO to reinstall all previous apps from within recovery??? I have read about it but never done it. And thanks for this great tut.

i would highly advise against this...

doing that across roms of the same version is risky, doing it across roms of different versions is down-right mad. it just plops them back into the rom pre-installed with data and everything, bad bad bad idea.

harrytorta

Apr 12, 2012
I tried searching about it on google but found nothing so thanks for the reply. Kinda sucks that it would muck with things though :\

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
I've never done it either. It's tempting to "flash" your old apps back over, especially with the amount of time it takes for Titanium Backup to run, but as Klathmon stated, it's probably a bad idea. Patience is a virtue, I suppose. ;)

Hasooboy

May 27, 2011
Very easy guide for noobs like me, I have a problem my phone shows p999 in about phone and its have a logo of videotron. but the sticker at the back cover shows p990 :S should i go with p999 method ??

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
Very easy guide for noobs like me, I have a problem my phone shows p999 in about phone and its have a logo of videotron. but the sticker at the back cover shows p990 :S should i go with p999 method ??

That's an interesting situation. I would install the LGMobile Support Tool and see what model it says you have. If I had to *guess* it's a P999 but you should definitely contact one of the other Videotron users and ask them. That is beyond my scope of knowledge, so proceed with caution!

Hasooboy

May 27, 2011
That's an interesting situation. I would install the LGMobile Support Tool and see what model it says you have. If I had to *guess* it's a P999 but you should definitely contact one of the other Videotron users and ask them. That is beyond my scope of knowledge, so proceed with caution!

I have connect my phone with Lg software update its detect as p999dw and proceed towards the update process after Update process my phones become T mobile G2X which was videotorn earlier :eek: I am thinking of making new thread with all the information i have along with snap shoot

r4d14n7

Jun 20, 2009
TX
I have connect my phone with Lg software update its detect as p999dw and proceed towards the update process after Update process my phones become T mobile G2X which was videotorn earlier :eek: I am thinking of making new thread with all the information i have along with snap shoot

Yeah, enjoy your new G2x. haha...
Always nice to give back to the community! Give it a shot! I haven't seen much Videotron stuff here yet, just T-Mobile and Wind.

Hasooboy

May 27, 2011
Yeah, enjoy your new G2x. haha...
Always nice to give back to the community! Give it a shot! I haven't seen much Videotron stuff here yet, just T-Mobile and Wind.

One more thing i just want to know what happen if i install CWM of p999 which its is most probably then what happened if its p990 :S

Whyzor

Jul 7, 2011
Good guide, one additional section would be a general overview of ICS-based vs GB-based ROMs, advantages of ICS are latest Android OS, but downside is non-working binary drivers for video camera & playback & uses more memory for OS. GB is more functional & stable, but older-style.

lucasdenison

Oct 26, 2011

lol i wish i had you're problem. If my phone was doing that i'd have no issue what so ever getting the march 2012 baseband :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, this guide is outdated a bit. I lost my job and in between school, 3 kids, and writing resumes, I do not have the time to do the proper research and update this. I apologize for my desertion, however, if anyone would like to take it over, feel free to copy/paste the contents of this post and repost, update, and request a sticky from the mods.

Disclaimer
    If you have an LG P999 (Not the P990!) you should not brick while using this guide. If you do happen to brick your device, I will not accept responsibility for it. Nor will I support you. There is more than enough information in our section to fully troubleshoot almost any known problem. If I link to a thread, please read AT LEAST the original post (OP) in its entirety before taking the steps it contains. If a method I linked does not work, please let me know. I don’t have the time to read every post on every thread on every section.

This guide is for Windows users only. If you are on a Mac or Linux box, there may be ways of doing this, but I don’t have any way of testing it. You’re on your own.

Purpose
    So you just got the LG P999 (T-Mobile G2x or Wind O2x) or you’ve had it for a while and finally decided to root it. This is an updated step-by-step guide on what you need to do in order to unleash your device.

Credit
    Thank you to all of the developers and scripters out there. I didn’t do any of the work and I claim no rights to anything linked in this guide.

Thanks to:
    KiNG OMaR
    jboxer
    Volk
    kairi_zeroblade
    Mr Rusty
    phburks
    All the other people who contributed to all of these methods.
    Anyone who spends their free time coding, modding, troubleshooting, helping, and a special thanks to anyone who does his or her research.

General Information
    This guide assumes you’ve had your phone long enough to have gotten T-Mobile’s 2.3.3 Gingerbread update by now. If you’re on 2.2.2 Froyo, search on how to update to 2.3.3 Gingerbread as it will upgrade (maybe?) your radio as well.

If you are an advanced user and coming from a different phone and are used to different practices, let me break it down for you. The bootloader and radio are already unlocked (or S-OFF, if you will). There are only 2 radios which may actually be exactly the same, but they are not flashable zips. All ROMs are compatible with either radio.

All links are tested and up-to-date as of 11 April 2012.

Step 1: CWM
    Install ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) via NVFlash. This should always be your first step no matter what you intend to do with your device. Installing CWM will allow you to flash roms, kernels, etc., as well as recover from minor bricks or bad flashes. DO NOT install CWM via Rom Manager. The following thread will help you install NVidia's APX drivers and flash CWM via NVFlash:
    [RECOVERY]CWM-Based Recovery 5.0.2.8 For P999(Internal & External SD)
    After completing this step, you will be able to access CWM at any time from a power off state by holding the Power and Volume Down buttons until the white “LG” logo goes away and the blue “LG” logo appears. Release the buttons when you see the blue "LG" logo and wait for the CWM menu to pop up. I recommend at this point that you test it out to make sure it works and that you perform a backup with CWM. Once backed up, copy it to your computer, burn it to a CD, archive it on your tape drive, whatever. It’s just good practice to keep these things in case someone’s link goes down and you really needed that file to return to stock.

Step 2: Decision
    Here, you will make a decision:
    Are there any apps that you need to save your progress in (for example, Angry Birds scores, etc.) and can’t simply be reinstalled?
    If no, skip to Step 4: Flash
    If yes, proceed with Step 3: Root

Step 3: Root & Backup
    I know, I know. There are apps that can backup your angry birds scores and all that, but this makes reinstalling all of your apps easier. First, you need to download an app to backup your apps. Titanium Backup is my favorite. The price tag seems a little high at first glance, but it’s worth it, especially if you plan on doing this to other phones in the future. Download Titanium Backup from the market, and purchase the PRO key. If you want to go the cheap route, there are alternatives. Next, we need root access. Achieve this by following this post:
    [ROOT] G2X Gingerbread 2.3.3. stock ROM with flashable zip in Clockworkmod Recovery
    You have a rooted phone and Titanium Backup now. Open Titanium Backup and allow it root access. Press menu, then “batch” and backup user apps only. Never backup system data. You will only get yelled at when people find out that you backup system data.

Step 4: Wipe & Flash
    Select a ROM. There are many to choose from (stock Gingerbread, AOSP-based Gingerbread, AOSP-based Ice Cream Sandwich, MIUI). If you’re not sure what you’re looking at, flash one from each category and play with it for 30 minutes to make a final decision. Please read the OP for the ROM you are flashing and follow their directions. If it is not based on the stock ROM, you will need to flash a zip that contains Google’s Apps (gapps). Read your ROM’s OP for the details on this.

When you flash a new ROM, at a minimum, perform the “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” in CWM just prior to flashing the ROM. This will clear old data and cache. I recommend using:
    [TOOL] G2x Nullifier [UPDATED!] 26 March Cache only Nullifier!
    The dual wipe nullifier is in my opinion, not needed. Single wipe will be fine. Keep in mind, once you nullify, you need to flash a ROM immediately after you nullify! If you reboot after nullifying, you have a soft-brick that should be recoverable, but that’s extra grief you don’t need. So, again, make sure you have a ROM ready to flash on your SD card BEFORE you use the Nullifier.

Step 5: Restore & Enjoy
    If you backed up your apps in Step 3: Root & Backup, open up the Market and redownload Titanium Backup and the PRO key (or whatever cheap alternative you decide on) and start it up, granting root access. Press menu, “batch” and restore missing apps with data.

All done! If you want to underclock or overclock or flash kernels, you need to read up on it. They will not be included in this guide.

I am open to *constructive* feedback. If your feedback is “this guide sucks,” move on. I don’t need you here. If you have a legitimate problem with the contents and maybe a suggestion on how to fix it, by all means, let me know. I know there are a couple guides out there, but some are outdated. Just putting a fresh one up for those just joining the game.

I don’t ask for donations. Save them for the people who do the real work. If I helped you out, just hit the thanks button.

i would highly advise against this...

doing that across roms of the same version is risky, doing it across roms of different versions is down-right mad. it just plops them back into the rom pre-installed with data and everything, bad bad bad idea.
    Very simple and easy guide, nicley done

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
    Awesome Guide. I was thinking of doing something like that for noobs like me. You can include OC/UV guide from Klatmon
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558080

Its a great guide. Plus you will have a complete G2x guide for dummies after this as Step 6 (optional) .
    @realizerecognize:

I can't imagine why your PC wouldn't have this, but check to see if your PC has WinRar. Its a tool used to extract .zip files.

Sent from my LG P999 using XDA app