Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 40,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

kexec bootloader bypass coming in a few days

Tip us?

cellzealot
Old
(Last edited by cellzealot; 12th April 2012 at 05:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 853
This work was started by [mbm] on the Bionic and he sent his partially functional code base to kholk, who then got a very "dirty" version of it to work on his GSM RAZR.

Kholk sent that back to [mbm] to complete the work for the CDMA/LTE RAZR because kholk lives in Italy and has no CDMA/LTE service to test anything on involving the radios.

When the RAZR giveaway happened, because I knew the principal player involved, I did some lobbying for [mbm] to receive one of the phones and kholk agreed, for the above mentioned reasons and because he wanted to give something back to [mbm] for all of his months of work on this project.

Guess who got the RAZR?

Whether or not this can be ported to the D3 remains to be seen but I think it's likely that it will, with some considerable amount of work. None of this is at all simple or straightforward and it is the culmination of years of work that started with the OG Milestone.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gierso
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I have been following that thread Since the inminent release 2 months ago... i dont know when it will be Out but kholk already said that it should work with the similar devices as d3 razr bionic and d4 ... i hope he hurries up cuz im getting desperate

Enviado desde mi XT862
~Serge
------
Phone:
Google NEXUS 4<-- Razr XT910 (Sold)<-- XT862 Droid 3 (Sold)<--Nokia N97 (drawer/backup)<--Nokia 5800 (drowned/repaired/sold)<--Weird Chinese Dual SIM phone (forgot it ever existed[in a drawer])<--Sony Ericsson/Nokia/Ericsson(broken)
Tablet:
Nexus 10<--Asus Tf700t pad INFINITY (Sold)<--Asus Tf300t (Sold almost new for the tf700)<--Viewsonic G-Tablet (drawer/ Photoframe)
Droid 3 XT862 FASTBOOT FILES to unbrick your Droid 3 /mirror to the files here splitted with 7ZIP

thingonaspring
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Thanks to cellzealot for adding some context to this thread.

A working Kexec and kernel is not a simple thing to do by any measure, but as the droid 3 already has a 2nd init exploit (safestrap, clockworkmod) and there is the possibility of a working kexec/kernel for very simillar hardware (Razr), then the chances appear good that this could work.

That said - don't underestimate the amount of work required here. Just getting a working kernel running will take a lot of effort. If that's successful, then there'll be a ton more work to enable all the nice features that a custom kernel can provide (overclock/undervolt, ICS tiler, BFS scheduler......).
Motorola Droid 3 XT862 .906 - Rooted, Safestrap recovery3, MiniMoto Rom
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1978304

ZaneKaminski
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I don't have much (or really any) experience with hardware stuff like this, but I'm a capable programmer and "fluent" in C. If source for this is released, I'd be more than happy to help out as best I can.

Hashcode
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22292

DONATE TO ME
I can probably add some clarification to this.

Over the last 2 months, I've been developing a new Kindle Fire 3.0 kernel. I had full source from Amazon for the 2.6.35 kernel, and it was developed as a close device to the Blaze Tablet for which source is plentiful.

That being said, there have been many challenges along the way.

Now imagine adding the complexity of kexec and all of the phone features which tablets dont have.

Also, even with a full 3.0 kernel, I'm still having issues securing a portion of the ducati source code to create a 512mb compatible hw codec binary, as the stock binary from TI is hard coded to 1gb of ram. And it doesnt have the custom camera code that Moto adds to it.

So after months of work, you'd have a very functional ICS w/o hardware codecs ... which is almost what we have now.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

slvrarrow
Old
Thanks Meter 44
That's crushed some hope.

If it means that HW codecs are off the menu for the forseeable, I'd love to see CM7.2 being ported for the interim for those who want performance but need HW codecs/flash and the like.

ssinisterss
Old
(Last edited by ssinisterss; 13th April 2012 at 03:54 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashcode View Post

Over the last 2 months, I've been developing a new Kindle Fire 3.0 kernel. I had full source from Amazon for the 2.6.35 kernel, and it was developed as a close device to the Blaze Tablet for which source is plentiful.

Now imagine adding the complexity of kexec and all of the phone features which tablets dont have.

Also, even with a full 3.0 kernel, I'm still having issues securing a portion of the ducati source code to create a 512mb compatible hw codec binary, as the stock binary from TI is hard coded to 1gb of ram. And it doesnt have the custom camera code that Moto adds to it.

So after months of work, you'd have a very functional ICS w/o hardware codecs ... which is almost what we have now.

i wish it was as fast as the Gnex guys can make a kernel i know being open a kernel can be made in a few hours to a few days.would it be easier for the D4 since it has 1gb of ram?

i may have to move onto the Gnex now
VZW Note2- CM11

Hashcode
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinisterss View Post
i wish it was as fast as the Gnex guys can make a kernel i know being open a kernel can be made in a few hours to a few days.would it be easier for the D4 since it has 1gb of ram?

i may have to move onto the Gnex now
Difference is that the 3.0 GNex kernel actually exists at the moment. Where the 3.0 kernel for the D3 does not exist.

cappysw10
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Difference is that the 3.0 GNex kernel actually exists at the moment. Where the 3.0 kernel for the D3 does not exist.
Hash, what are you waiting for?

If I learned anything from being here....patience.
Learning how to use search is priceless...Reading is fundamental!

<<- "B.S. I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose!"

Phones -
Samsung Craptivate
Droid 3

gierso
Old
(Last edited by gierso; 13th April 2012 at 02:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:

look hash uses his droid 3 for surfing xda!!

i must relearn all my prog skills to help.
very rusty right now. nooo, more than rusty.
~Serge
------
Phone:
Google NEXUS 4<-- Razr XT910 (Sold)<-- XT862 Droid 3 (Sold)<--Nokia N97 (drawer/backup)<--Nokia 5800 (drowned/repaired/sold)<--Weird Chinese Dual SIM phone (forgot it ever existed[in a drawer])<--Sony Ericsson/Nokia/Ericsson(broken)
Tablet:
Nexus 10<--Asus Tf700t pad INFINITY (Sold)<--Asus Tf300t (Sold almost new for the tf700)<--Viewsonic G-Tablet (drawer/ Photoframe)
Droid 3 XT862 FASTBOOT FILES to unbrick your Droid 3 /mirror to the files here splitted with 7ZIP