How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Trackball nostalgia

OP thatdewguy

12th April 2012, 08:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Despite the fact that it's been roughly 3 years ago we were gifted by the miracle we know as android, there has been a major paradigm shift in design among phone manufacturers; gone are the days of the once mandatory, perpetually useful, but seemingly redundant trackball.

My first smartphone was an HTC Droid Eris; although I have a much better, faster phone now, I miss the convenience of having the trackball for scrolling through web pages, photo albums, and long lists of contacts or Facebook friends.

This is a tribute to the trackball, and a call to those who design our future lifelines: offer a high quality phone with a trackball again - it is a convenient feature that takes up next to no physical space.

Please contribute to this discussion in whatever way you see fit, hopefully there are others who miss the trackball...

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA
12th April 2012, 12:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 79

1,442 posts
More
I miss the trackball sometimes.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
12th April 2012, 12:24 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
The trackball is a tool that I think you a lot more streamlined.
For some, however, does not like, depends on the tastes!
.... I like it!
12th April 2012, 12:36 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

24 posts
I still have one... Unfortunately I can only dream of a fancy new android so am stuck with the very old HTC hero.

Still runs alright though with an OC and villainrom.

Gonna save my pennies for the HTC One S

Anyway back on topic. I don't use the trackball often but it is useful every once and a while. Great for stopping in the right spot in an e-mail to modify an error or add some text.
12th April 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #5  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 58

268 posts
More
Its nice having the trackball to be able to pinpoint exaxt locations in text boxes or select links in webpages with very small text. Both of the smartphones that I have owned have had trackballs (G1 and Nexus One). I'm looking for something a bit newer (leaning towards an Atrix at the moment) and it looks like I will be hard-pressed to find another with a trackball.
13th April 2012, 03:52 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
My first track ball was on a Blackberry Pearl, and it was great, especially since I could change the LED's and make the thing light up different colors...

But yes, I miss the trackball, mostly for when I'm trying to correct text. It's a big pain in the ass when I have to tap my screen like a moron to get at my sentence.

I also miss a hardware keyboard too.... oh G1, come back to me...
13th April 2012, 04:01 AM   |  #7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 193

29 posts
More
Larger touch screens and improved response took away the need of the trackball completely.

I think the implementation was rather poor on the G1. It was not made for speedy selection so much as for precision.

Not really missing it much...
13th April 2012, 06:45 AM   |  #8  
Flag San Ramon, CA
Thanks Meter: 69

566 posts
More
Well they brought the S-Pen (aka advance stylus) back in my GNote, maybe you'll see the trackball again someday.
13th April 2012, 06:54 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 179

3,133 posts
More
remember when we thought all Google phones would have a track ball and the forward hump?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
13th April 2012, 01:13 PM   |  #10  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 1

34 posts
More
Ahhh... The track ball....

Had it on G1 and I liked it. My first Android phone and the first one with track ball. I remember that it was weird at first but after some time, you get used to it.

G1 really was something else at the time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread