Valhalla-BlackEdition Q & A

Search This thread

Damatiru

May 28, 2009
New York City
Can more lockscreen styles be added to the tweaks or is using a custom app recommended instead? Thank you guys for being so helpful with my inquiries

wizard7926

Sep 27, 2011
I'm having trouble on T-Mobile, and I don't know if it's this ROM, but I hadn't had trouble before this.

I can't seem to send/receive MMS, even though my internet works, on data connection.

What settings can I check (and does Valhalla set any kind of MMS settings)?

For full disclosure, I use JuiceDefender to govern my data, but I just reflashed Black and still couldn't get the MMS to download before reinstalling JD.

Last edited:

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Have you gone into settings in the messaging app and checked 'Auto Retrieve'?

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
When you say reflashed did you do a full wipe and use gremlin remover? If not do that.

If you are looking for better battery life get rid of Juicedefender. Most of the sgs4g roms created by raver and dsexton have the settings used in juicdefender built in. Other than the ability to turn data on and off, which really doenst increase battery life as much as hamper it. Starting and shutting the radios down use more battery than just letting them idle. The only way JD will get more battery is if you just use the phone as a phone and not a smartphone. Increase the time between checking for notifications, manually adjust screen brightness, if you can plug the phone in do so throughout the day. Li-ion batteries aren't the old ni-cad, charging them before they are completely dead wont hurt them.

wizard7926

Sep 27, 2011
When you say reflashed did you do a full wipe and use gremlin remover? If not do that.

Crap, I forgot gremlin remover. I'll try to flash it again tonight.

If you are looking for better battery life get rid of Juicedefender. Most of the sgs4g roms created by raver and dsexton have the settings used in juicdefender built in. Other than the ability to turn data on and off, which really doenst increase battery life as much as hamper it. Starting and shutting the radios down use more battery than just letting them idle. The only way JD will get more battery is if you just use the phone as a phone and not a smartphone. Increase the time between checking for notifications, manually adjust screen brightness, if you can plug the phone in do so throughout the day. Li-ion batteries aren't the old ni-cad, charging them before they are completely dead wont hurt them.

I mean, maybe I didn't have my original ROM set up right, but I noticed a considerable jump in battery life with JD versus without it. I was getting around 12-14 hours with light-moderate usage without, and have gotten 32+ with it. I prefer not to get constant email and facebook alerts, so I toggled data to stay off until I need it for using the internet, etc.

I'm aware this on/off is probably the very thing causing my MMS problems, but.. that's why I'm trying to figure out exactly what settings need to be adjusted. Or maybe I need to come back here and make sure I'm flashing my original correctly :(

wizard7926

Sep 27, 2011

Well, did gremlin remover and reflashed VB. Unfortunately, it's still crapping out on me when I try to receive MMS. Internet, of course, still works famously.

There has to be some kind of settings I can look at..

However, I'm not getting the "Unsuccessful" error anymore; it just plain doesn't work, lol.

I had it unchecked, so I can actively click "download" when an MMS comes in.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
wizard try this. It is a long shot but for some reason it seems to fix mms issues from time to time. Download gosms and use it as your default mms app. My old phone the "stock" messenger app wouldnt let me get mms until I used gosms then it would start working. You can uninstall it and more than likely it will work properly. Not sure why it does this just does.

wizard7926

Sep 27, 2011
wizard try this. It is a long shot but for some reason it seems to fix mms issues from time to time. Download gosms and use it as your default mms app. My old phone the "stock" messenger app wouldnt let me get mms until I used gosms then it would start working. You can uninstall it and more than likely it will work properly. Not sure why it does this just does.

I actually use GoSMS as my main app, but you mean I should uninstall the stock Messaging app?

Basically, my story goes like this:

- Installed VB, everything was just dandy for a while, MMS works
- Started experiencing slowdown, force closes, battery issues, MMS works
- Installed JuiceDefender, still slowdown, still force closing, battery much better, MMS begins to get spotty
- Adjusted JD settings somehow, MMS completely stops working
- Use Gremlin remover, reinstall fresh VB, left off JD.. MMS still doesn't work

I'm so perplexed, haha. What did I do that my internet works great but MMS doesn't?

Last edited:

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
In that case it might be an APN setting.

Go into [Settings], [Wireless and network], [Mobile networks], [Access Point Names], select whatever network it shows, scroll to bottom to [APN type] and see if it says "internet + mms".

Last edited:

tozo3

May 4, 2011
Birmingham
Is anyone's phone freezing when you slide the SMS icon to unlock screen. using a different lock screen option now but i noticed that option was freezing my phone

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Try clearing cache partition and dalvik cache, then fix permissions. Remember to let your phone sit 5-10 mins after reboot. Let me know if that works.

tozo3

May 4, 2011
Birmingham
I had already done those steps in recovery to no avail. i put ROM manager on phone and run fix permissions from that and reboot -> BOOM/Fixed. Uninstalled rom mgr now but it weird how that ll work.

RaverX3X

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2011
Cali
I had already done those steps in recovery to no avail. i put ROM manager on phone and run fix permissions from that and reboot -> BOOM/Fixed. Uninstalled rom mgr now but it weird how that ll work.

under cwm provided u haven't solved the issues..

Format system data cache

then re install. :p normally clears up alot of leftovers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @bigoload:

The attached file is from the stock Gingerbread ROM. The purpose of these directions are to add back the 'Audible touch tones', 'Audible selection', and 'Screen lock Sounds' that are not in the Vahlalla - Black Edition - Final-Fixed.zip (intentionally left out).

• Download the attached 'ui.rar' file.
    • Extract the folder onto your computer.
    • Copy it to the root of your sdcard.

• You need a root explorer. I use Super Manager.

• Download from market and open Super Manager on your phone and go into ‘File Manager’.
    • Hit Menu then ‘Setup’.
    • Look for ‘Global Settings’ and select ‘ROOT’.
    • Check ‘Enable ROOT function’.
    • Back out of settings back ‘File Manager’ which will be the root of your sdcard.
    • Find the ui folder you copied over.
    • Long press on the ui folder and select ‘Copy’.
    • Scroll back to the top of the root of your sdcard and hit ‘Back up level folder’ two times.
    • Scroll down to ‘system’ and select. Then select ‘media’. Then 'audio'.
    • You should see a 'ui' folder.
    • Hit menu then ‘Switch System R/W’ and select ‘R/W’ (which is probably is already set to that).
    • You can long press the 'ui' folder and delete. Then paste the 'ui' folder that you copied off your sdcard.
    • I just renamed the 'ui' folder to 'ui-old' to test what I am telling you then pasted the new 'ui' folder.
    • You should now have 'Audible touch tones', 'Audible selection', and 'Screen lock Sounds', 'Audible dialer number' and whatever else.
    This is a Q&A for Raver’s Valhalla-BlackEdition thread.

Rules I would like to see followed:
    - If you quote there is no need to quote the entire post – quote the part of the post you are responding to. Delete the rest.

- THEME RELATED QUESTIONS (i.e. icons/wallpapers) belong in the theme and apps sub forum: THEME AND APPS

- If somebody asks lazy questions, just IGNORE THEM! They will eventually get the HINT! MarkP80nj Quote: "If no one answers you, maybe try learning how to do it yourself."

- And Hit the THANKS button if somebody helps you! It is the least we can do!

Help keep this thread at the top so Noobs will see and stay out of the Dev forum!
    Thread cleaned. Stop with the crap...funny how some of the names are becoming familiar to me, for the wrong reasons too...I don't think you want that happening....

if you can't discuss things in a civil manner without arguing, flaming or trolling, don't bother posting at all.
    Knowing Raver will be releasing the Revamp when he does -

Those interested in getting drm videos to play on VB Final-Fixed - i.e. Inception - download the attached [DRM.rar].

Extract the contents on your computer and copy the two folders - [drm] & [.drm] - to your sdcard.

Then copy the two folders - [drm] & [.drm] - to \system\etc\security\

Make sure you are set to r/w.

I did not have to reboot, fix permissions or anything. Went to videos and Inception finally played.
    Reserved for good points made in the thread:

Raver's Clarification:
    let me clarify this after you install the rom do not change the mount to ummu It only applys to install (made moot after the new installer and i fixed the mount errror issue with the installer cwm.

What it looks like people are doing and why its soft bricking is after install you unmounting the system so when you boot you soft brick because the kernel cannot mount system... Because YOU UNMOUNTED IT.....

From FBis251:
    Download Valhalla Black Final. Raver's got a custom GPS driver in it. Trust me, it works well. haven't had issues with GPS since I've used it.

What was the font in rc2? ----> sony style

How i can get the blue eye (or any other) wallpaper again?
    Which ROM was it in? Do you still have the .zip?
    - Pull the system/app/Launcher.apk
    - Unzip it. Yes, apk is a zip file.
    - Look in res/drawable-hdpi folder.

Does the final.zip have a shutdown animation?
    - In the Final.zip file in \system\media\video\shutdown - the folder is empty.
    - If you have the BlackEdition.zip file in \system\media\video\shutdown - shutdown.qmg is in the folder.

Add back the 'Audible touch tones', 'Audible selection', and 'Screen lock Sounds' that are not in the Vahlalla - Black Edition - Final-Fixed.zip.
    Click here for directions and files.

Random Reboots Thread: Great method to fix problem - Thanks 95Z28!

You need Visual Voicemail for voicmail notifications: attached below

Stock Clock & Alarm (soft alarm): attached below. If you want to use the Smart Alarms I attached the sounds below also. You need to copy the sounds into /system/media/audio/ui.