[Q] mp3 droid rom idea

OP zealious

11th April 2012, 11:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

17 posts
Feeler thread for rom idea/ questions on developing from a complete noob.

MP3 DROID

Like many I have moved on from the og droid.

Like many I use the og droid as strictly mp3 and media.

just a modified rom to work best as a mp3 player. i have been working on perfecting the art of music player on my droid for a while now and I want to share my results. i think i came up with a wining combination of mods, apps, and software removals.

I want to share that sucess but I am a complete noob.

I just want to do something like nlite for windows. I want to do some basic things to a existing rom..

what kitchen is recomended? I have read many noobie guides and stuff and I am not strong on coding.. I took c+ years ago. and only used to dable in cgi and html. what is a good guide for this kind of undertaking?

can some one help me with this. The droid is dead. the mp3 droid will not be dead.

SO mp3 droid is ...

goals.
battle the low ram capacity of the phone.
.no frills or flashy eye candy. simple. modern and so fast. insane fast. you are going to wish the og droid performed like this as a phone!
.so quick and easy that the interface resembles an ipod and anyone from monkeys to grandmas will be able to easily play music.
.batter life? whats that. holy gosh forgetting to charge is not a big deal anymore?

plans / planned
based off of a extreemly fast and stable FROYO version of bugless beast from pete. http://www.peteralfonso.com/
Chevy nova kernel ultra low volt 900 stock with slight modification
all non esential apks removed! I have gutted 70% and this phone blazes!(this makes the big dif in speed)
all phone essential services disabled and striped.
airplane mode with wifi.
only one screen on the launcher (launcher will be zeeam for sure (uses least ram)
higher dpi than stock.
no app drawer
no lock screen
music widget (froyomusic mod) takes up 3 out of 4 rows.
4th row (launcher bar) will list all the apps (will come with rockbox, music mod, album art catcher, opera beta, maybe sticher, listen, tunein radio. I am open to any suggestions that will give the best music experience. streamin google player is obviously out due to most peoples droids not having 3g data. I have tried a lot of music players. music mod is the best on this platform on this device. i would love double twist or winamp but double twist has issues and winamp is just a horrible linux port that will eat up your droids ram like a cookie monster on steroids.

in essence this is the main version of mp3 droid. just a modified rom to work best as a mp3 player. i have been working on perfecting the art of music player on my droid for a while now and I want to share my results. i think i came up with a wining combination of mods, apps, and software removals.

version 2 will be

bb (any fast rom) even more super lightened.

ROCK BOX http://www.rockbox.org/

will be the only thing that will run. on top of the rom.

it will run from boot of rom

essentially a ported rock box player ported as the main os

of course it would make me a lot happier to not even use android at all and get a bootable version of rockbox working on this device. rock box is open source and works on a lot of devices I just dont know what this would entail.
Last edited by zealious; 11th April 2012 at 12:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zealious For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2012, 01:25 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HedLoOSsDV0

hey just uploaded a quick video so you can see the speed and overall look first hand..

sorry for sideways and quality. lack there of. apologize for my sleepiness as well. overall sorry video. but good rendition of speed i am acheiving with the setup.

Last edited by zealious; 11th April 2012 at 01:33 PM.
12th April 2012, 04:34 AM   |  #3  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 41

308 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealious

video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HedLoOSsDV0

hey just uploaded a quick video so you can see the speed and overall look first hand..

sorry for sideways and quality. lack there of. apologize for my sleepiness as well. overall sorry video. but good rendition of speed i am acheiving with the setup.

That actually does look quite fast. While I can't help you with developing a ROM, I can tell you it would be helpful to the rest of us if you told us what exactly you did... Looks fantastic
12th April 2012, 01:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Indeed. it is extremely fast. the video does not even do it justice. I have never seen the og droid perform like this.

as far as what i have done the general idea is in my first post and a detailed walk through will follow shortly.

i will def post a detailed version of what i have done but it comes down to pretty much trial and error

well thats the definition of what i have done and plan to get ironed out into a rom. i have taken all the guess work out of finding the speediest apps, roms, kernels, home screens, etc,

i removed as many things as i could from the device that did not sacrafice reliablity or stability.

i am runing an older version of bugless beast. trial and error has shown this version to perform best on multiple droid 1s
i am running the newer chevy nova kernel 1000 ul clocked at 900.
i have lightened the phone by about 70 % will provide list or possibly a script or both of what apps you can safely remove.. afik
and I am running zeam with settings that provide the least ram usage
1 home screen
no visual effects
full screen.
everything i have done has been centered around increasing ram numbers.s

disabled data.
disabled 3g
set up airplane mode with wifi

removed lock screen

installed rock box port
running stock rom music player which is foryo music mod
said widget.

modified build.prop
higher dpi think i settled on 280
camera button is a hardware play/pause music button (buggy at the moment)

anyway like i said i will post full details so you can do this

or you can wait for the rom.

might be a while

progress with the rom is

downloaded android sdk
donloaded virtual box
instaled ubuntu
(i am runing dual boot laptop with Ubuntu really have started falling in love with vm since i tried out chrome os and os x lepord. i like how you can quickly pop into windows if you need to and its nice that you can setup a shared clipboard)
installed java
messed around with rockbox to see what you can customize visualy.

read about a few kitchens and reading up on how to compile your own rom as well as virtual device testing etc.
this is a diy learn as you go process so might be a while till u see an alpha.
Last edited by zealious; 12th April 2012 at 01:10 PM.
12th April 2012, 05:16 PM   |  #5  
Flag Yellow Springs OH
Thanks Meter: 34

227 posts
More
I'd be willing to test this when you have a version available for download. I don't use my Droid for service, just as an iPod pretty much, so this would work great for me.
13th April 2012, 02:08 AM   |  #6  
Wyoming
Thanks Meter: 6

136 posts
More
i would also be willing to test. i moved to a evo 3d but still have the og droid. this looks amazingly fast.
13th April 2012, 12:57 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBeijing

I'd be willing to test this when you have a version available for download. I don't use my Droid for service, just as an iPod pretty much, so this would work great for me.

Yes. I am suprised no one has started this project already. I wonder what percent of og users still use it as their everyday phone.

Well stay tuned and i will get a alpha up as soon as i figure stuff out.
The Following User Says Thank You to zealious For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2012, 06:16 PM   |  #8  
Flag Yellow Springs OH
Thanks Meter: 34

227 posts
More
Cool, I am excited to test this!

Also, do you think it'd be possible for you to make a flashable .zip or something that one could flash to almost any ROM on the Droid and remove all the phone related stuff and other bloat? [ I hope I don't sound demanding, it's just an idea I had, and unfortunately I don't have the skills to do it myself ]

I ask because while I like the MP3 Droid idea, there are some things I want to keep that are being taken out. Like, not too bare, but not loaded with unnecessary things either, you get what I mean?
23rd April 2012, 10:47 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I'm also interested in this rom!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
24th April 2012, 12:59 AM   |  #10  
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 147

583 posts
More
This looks great
I gave my OG to my little bro since I upgraded to the rezound and I'm sure he'll love this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread