TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Bicycle mount

OP mmace

6th July 2011, 08:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 65

755 posts
More
I cycle to and from work every day, I always had my Desire mounted to my handlebars using this mount
does anyone know of any for the Optimus 3D?
I don't trust the universal ones, I'm after one that is specific to this phone so I know it will hold it tight, preferable so I can film my commute too (like I did on the Desire)

Anyone seen anything?
17th August 2011, 12:37 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

755 posts
More
I've ordered on from eBay for 8 delivered (from Hong Kong). It's made specifically for the phone, I'll report back once it's arrived and I've tried it
23rd August 2011, 02:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

755 posts
More
truly awful!
the mount doesn't fit any handlebars I've seen and the bit the phone goes in is too small, certainly not made specifically for the phone!
10th April 2012, 12:45 AM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 10

50 posts
Donate to Me
More
Lightbulb Tweak it
I haven't tried this on O3D but have successfully used bike mounts on Optimus P500 and Motorola Defy (really good to use for both navigation and sports apps).

I did purchase one of those universal bike mounts, and it was TERRIBLE. So instead I got a hold of an original LG car mount. The piece itself which holds the phone snaps off from from the rest of the mount.

From the universal mount I pretty much just cut off anything but the piece which mounts the handle bar. I then melted the the plastic from both the original "snap on" piece and the universal mount, pressed them together, and then separated them. They now had a good fit, so I super glued the pieces together and man! the result is beyond what I could've hoped for.

It's very durable, doesn't take up a ton of space (unlike the universal monsters of mounts).

When I "melted" the pieces together I ensured to also include the slide on mechanism to release the mount. Therefore I can now get the O3D original car holder and just snap it on to my bike.

In order to do this, you will have to take a risk... but it was clearly worth it for me. I've used it a lot, both off road and on road.

I'll send a pic of it if you want.
14th April 2012, 05:52 AM   |  #5  

25 posts
I'd really like to see one or two pictures of your custom made mount.
I'm in need of a sturdy solution as well.
26th April 2012, 12:07 AM   |  #6  
Flag London

50 posts
Donate to Me
More
Will attempt taking some pics tomorrow, but only if the weather permits Quite stormy around London at this time.
26th April 2012, 01:51 AM   |  #7  

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79

Will attempt taking some pics tomorrow, but only if the weather permits Quite stormy around London at this time.

So, you're from London!
My Home Team will face Chelsea FC in this year's CL final.
Hope your pics will exceed C's display in the forthcoming game.
Last edited by becurious; 26th April 2012 at 01:54 AM.
3rd May 2012, 12:55 AM   |  #8  
Flag London

50 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by becurious

So, you're from London!
My Home Team will face Chelsea FC in this year's CL final.
Hope your pics will exceed C's display in the forthcoming game.

Hehe, we will see what Bayern can do to induce harm.
It'll be hard to exceed Chelsea's upcoming display on May 19th
3rd May 2012, 01:16 AM   |  #9  
Flag London

50 posts
Donate to Me
More
Pictures..
Here they are.
So, I was too lazy to put the P920 holder, so the P500 displayed in the pictures. It's the same type of clip attachment as the original P920 adapter... very easy to attach any LG device, as long as you have an original car mount.

Displayed on picture 2, is the assembly of a universal bike mount, cut into pieces and then a glued/melted original LG lock plate. So that any original LG car mount holder can be attached.

I've mostly used the P500 adapter with my old phone, and I've been going hard off road with my phone never coming off! It just works. The universal adapter I originally purchased was terrible keeping the phone steady.

The key to getting the mount secure was to get a tight fit, having the phone as close to the bar as possible. I was a little scared of sacrificing an original car mount, but it really paid off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG019.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1037474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG020.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1037475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG023.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1037476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG024.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1037477  
Last edited by dave79; 3rd May 2012 at 01:23 AM.
7th May 2012, 02:38 AM   |  #10  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 7

32 posts
More
For those of us not so much into the diy thing (or for those like me who would end up paying almost as high as that buying the original lg car mount.. ) :

image in the attachment..

btw, it shows the optimus one, but seems to be the right thing as far as the description goes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_P1010594.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1045436  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread