5,595,196 Members 45,247 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

athena use a usb-rj45 line to surf throught the net cable

Tip us?

johnripper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
maybe we can use a nintendo wii lan adapter with the above driver?

Vico100
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Ok i just ordered one, might take a week or two to get to australia. lets see if ill work

pigeonking
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer View Post
maybe it is just me, but, why use a RJ45 to USB adapter to browse the net, when you already have Wi Fi and 3G , and Bluetooth for the internet?

even in a high secured office with no Wi Fi, you can still do 3G

and if you are in a secured office, chances are you wont be able to get onto the network anyways using the RJ45

the only way this will work is in an unsecured network, for you to sign on, and not get access denied to the router/switch

and probably too cheap to not want to use the 3G / Edge to go online.

i wouldn't want to carry so much extra stuff with me to be able to go online using a RJ45 when i go out with my phone
When you go outside your home,office, or go abroad, the place where you are only exist rj-45 with no 3g,wifi, you will feel happy if you have this adapter to connect to the net.

For example, when I went to Hong Kong a few months ago for 4 days vacation, there was only RJ45 line to use, there was no wifi in the Hotel, and I couldn't buy any 3G sim card there. Anyway, when you own a huge phone like athena, you will not annoy to take one more usb-rj45 with you.

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1571

DONATE TO ME
hmmm..... that sure is odd, almost every hotel i've been to in the USA, Canada, UK, and Israel, they all had Wi Fi in the hotel areas.

that's why i can hardly think of any reason why a RJ45 connection would be required, but you do have a point.

can't imagine some parts of the world are still so out dated.

Vico100
Old
Thanks Meter 39
With me the reason i am getting one is that at uni the wifi's don't like windows mobile devices and so you can't connect to it (it requires this small java installation thingo and entering your password, and ive tried both opera and IE and ill just sit there loading for ages..)

Hopefully i can just straight away connect it to the Ethernet ports ...hmm.... $30+ US for it...hope its worth it

techntrek
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
hmmm..... that sure is odd, almost every hotel i've been to in the USA, Canada, UK, and Israel, they all had Wi Fi in the hotel areas.

that's why i can hardly think of any reason why a RJ45 connection would be required, but you do have a point.

can't imagine some parts of the world are still so out dated.
I was at Disney in Florida a month ago. I was outside of my phone's cell range (I have an older regional and not nationwide plan), and most of Disney's resorts only offer in-room Ethernet. They told me only 1 or 2 of the resorts have Wifi. So I could have used this, at a very modern and up-to-date resort...

Vico100
Old
Thanks Meter 39
It just came....very nice...works great!

zohaer21
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
maybe it is just me, but, why use a RJ45 to USB adapter to browse the net, when you already have Wi Fi and 3G , and Bluetooth for the internet?

even in a high secured office with no Wi Fi, you can still do 3G

and if you are in a secured office, chances are you wont be able to get onto the network anyways using the RJ45

the only way this will work is in an unsecured network, for you to sign on, and not get access denied to the router/switch

and probably too cheap to not want to use the 3G / Edge to go online.

i wouldn't want to carry so much extra stuff with me to be able to go online using a RJ45 when i go out with my phone

exactly... and if there is no wifi... just carry a travel wireless router (i got one from ebay) and it turns any ethernet connection into a wifi spot !!! brilliant !
pda2k, xda2i ,imate jam ,imate JASJAR,k-jam ,imate jamin , imate jasjam , made a huge mistake got imate jaq 3.. Tytn (again) then TRINITY ,then imate 8502 *mistake* and now samsung i780 (the best pda ever)

pigeonking
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohaer21 View Post
exactly... and if there is no wifi... just carry a travel wireless router (i got one from ebay) and it turns any ethernet connection into a wifi spot !!! brilliant !
It's a good solution,too.
The wireless router needs extra power. As I know, the voltage, plug or socket may not be the same in every country, when you go abroad, the wireless router may be useless. For example, the socket and plug in Hong Kong is not the same as they in Taiwan.

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1571

DONATE TO ME
i like the USB 2 RJ45 idea better

there are some very small and portable ones

but probably wont have drivers for PPC

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10