FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

athena use a usb-rj45 line to surf throught the net cable

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By pigeonking, Member on 10th June 2008, 02:44 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
2nd August 2008, 08:06 AM |#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
maybe we can use a nintendo wii lan adapter with the above driver?
 
 
4th August 2008, 03:28 AM |#22  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
Ok i just ordered one, might take a week or two to get to australia. lets see if ill work
4th August 2008, 06:07 AM |#23  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

maybe it is just me, but, why use a RJ45 to USB adapter to browse the net, when you already have Wi Fi and 3G , and Bluetooth for the internet?

even in a high secured office with no Wi Fi, you can still do 3G

and if you are in a secured office, chances are you wont be able to get onto the network anyways using the RJ45

the only way this will work is in an unsecured network, for you to sign on, and not get access denied to the router/switch

and probably too cheap to not want to use the 3G / Edge to go online.

i wouldn't want to carry so much extra stuff with me to be able to go online using a RJ45 when i go out with my phone

When you go outside your home,office, or go abroad, the place where you are only exist rj-45 with no 3g,wifi, you will feel happy if you have this adapter to connect to the net.

For example, when I went to Hong Kong a few months ago for 4 days vacation, there was only RJ45 line to use, there was no wifi in the Hotel, and I couldn't buy any 3G sim card there. Anyway, when you own a huge phone like athena, you will not annoy to take one more usb-rj45 with you.
4th August 2008, 08:57 AM |#24  
AllGamer's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag buried under loads of work IRL
Thanks Meter: 1,592
 
Donate to Me
More
hmmm..... that sure is odd, almost every hotel i've been to in the USA, Canada, UK, and Israel, they all had Wi Fi in the hotel areas.

that's why i can hardly think of any reason why a RJ45 connection would be required, but you do have a point.

can't imagine some parts of the world are still so out dated.
4th August 2008, 02:24 PM |#25  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
With me the reason i am getting one is that at uni the wifi's don't like windows mobile devices and so you can't connect to it (it requires this small java installation thingo and entering your password, and ive tried both opera and IE and ill just sit there loading for ages..)

Hopefully i can just straight away connect it to the Ethernet ports ...hmm.... $30+ US for it...hope its worth it
5th August 2008, 02:48 PM |#26  
techntrek's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag MD
Thanks Meter: 43
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

hmmm..... that sure is odd, almost every hotel i've been to in the USA, Canada, UK, and Israel, they all had Wi Fi in the hotel areas.

that's why i can hardly think of any reason why a RJ45 connection would be required, but you do have a point.

can't imagine some parts of the world are still so out dated.

I was at Disney in Florida a month ago. I was outside of my phone's cell range (I have an older regional and not nationwide plan), and most of Disney's resorts only offer in-room Ethernet. They told me only 1 or 2 of the resorts have Wifi. So I could have used this, at a very modern and up-to-date resort...
11th August 2008, 08:52 AM |#27  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
It just came....very nice...works great!
21st August 2008, 05:06 AM |#28  
zohaer21's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

maybe it is just me, but, why use a RJ45 to USB adapter to browse the net, when you already have Wi Fi and 3G , and Bluetooth for the internet?

even in a high secured office with no Wi Fi, you can still do 3G

and if you are in a secured office, chances are you wont be able to get onto the network anyways using the RJ45

the only way this will work is in an unsecured network, for you to sign on, and not get access denied to the router/switch

and probably too cheap to not want to use the 3G / Edge to go online.

i wouldn't want to carry so much extra stuff with me to be able to go online using a RJ45 when i go out with my phone


exactly... and if there is no wifi... just carry a travel wireless router (i got one from ebay) and it turns any ethernet connection into a wifi spot !!! brilliant !
21st August 2008, 07:05 AM |#29  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohaer21

exactly... and if there is no wifi... just carry a travel wireless router (i got one from ebay) and it turns any ethernet connection into a wifi spot !!! brilliant !

It's a good solution,too.
The wireless router needs extra power. As I know, the voltage, plug or socket may not be the same in every country, when you go abroad, the wireless router may be useless. For example, the socket and plug in Hong Kong is not the same as they in Taiwan.
21st August 2008, 03:33 PM |#30  
AllGamer's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag buried under loads of work IRL
Thanks Meter: 1,592
 
Donate to Me
More
i like the USB 2 RJ45 idea better

there are some very small and portable ones

but probably wont have drivers for PPC
3rd September 2008, 12:52 AM |#31  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Smile
I've just got my UE-200TX-G, loaded up the driver and its working. I have it plugged into my Athena docking station.

I'm running dslreports mobile speed test and I'm getting speeds reported at high 800s kbit/sec with 0.162s latency. That compares to 300s on a Edge and a bit better if I can get a 3G signal at my home.

I don't know how to interpret the actual numbers, other than to say compatively speaking its obviously faster. I can definately see myself travelling with the new dongle and x7510 when I want to leave my laptop at home.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes