Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,124 Members 44,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unfinished ROM's

Tip us?

PhantomSectre
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Unfinished ROM's

Just curious, but...

It seems like, as of late, someone starts to build a new ROM, then stops updating after 2 or 3 rc's, leaving the ROM unfinished. I understand the ROMs are created in someone's spare time, but why start a ROM if you never intend to finish it? Why not finish it before you start something else, or just delete the development thread so we're not sitting here waiting for the next release that never seems to come? No offense to anyone, just curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomSectre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sot0
Old
Thanks Meter 217
Roms are never really finished you can always add new functions
, themes etc.
Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using XDA App
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S Plus i9001 (Broken)
Blackberry Q10
Raspberry Pi

My Projects for i9001:

FBis251
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3581

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSectre View Post
Just curious, but...

It seems like, as of late, someone starts to build a new ROM, then stops updating after 2 or 3 rc's, leaving the ROM unfinished. I understand the ROMs are created in someone's spare time, but why start a ROM if you never intend to finish it? Why not finish it before you start something else, or just delete the development thread so we're not sitting here waiting for the next release that never seems to come? No offense to anyone, just curious.
Quit flashing ROMs since you'll never have a 100% guarantee that someone will finish a ROM. Go back to stock GB which has a bad modem and reboot problems. Oh wait, Samsung didn't exactly give you a good ROM either.
The Following User Says Thank You to FBis251 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

95Z28
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Why is it that if the ROM never gets a final version its assumed its unfinished? The unfinished ROMs, ics mutt, cm7, miui, are all still works in progress (well maybe not miui, not sure of it's future). Seems to me everything else is fully functional and doesn't require anything else.
All the the most recent ones, unnamed, vb, icbinb, scom, these are problem free. Just find the right kernel and modem for your phone and they qualify as finished.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Beastmode
Old
Thanks Meter 7362

DONATE TO ME
Im still updating mine but this post makes me not want to :P

And like the post above me said the title doesnt have to be final for it to be final. Also, the dev can choose to start a new rom bc people want the new mod they are bringing to it along with a new theme and tweaks.

So thank you devs for the many roms you guys release.

if you ain't first you're last
If you love it then hit thanks or donate button :P
My Work:
Love it or leave it :P
Troll me? Go ahead i don't mind
GPL Compliant right here! haha

itzik2sh
Old
Thanks Meter 736
I think you should aim to non beta ROMs. At least this way you know you get a fully functional ROM. Regarding Final version, forget about it. Won't happen, won't be announced.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA
SGS4G ROMs:
HebMIUI | HebSlim | HebBareBone | HebValhalla | CM10 NLS |
SGS4G Guides:
Battery life 4 ICS | Create localized ROM | GB RTL Support | Hebrew Voice Recognition

If I helped, press this button.

Beastmode
Old
Thanks Meter 7362

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzik2sh View Post
I think you should aim to non beta ROMs. At least this way you know you get a fully functional ROM. Regarding Final version, forget about it. Won't happen, won't be announced.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA
Final version of which are u sure won't be announced?

if you ain't first you're last
If you love it then hit thanks or donate button :P
My Work:
Love it or leave it :P
Troll me? Go ahead i don't mind
GPL Compliant right here! haha

almighty bob
Old
Thanks Meter 22
most developers acknowledge that there are going to be some dev cycles involved in their releases. I guess some non-developers either don't realize that or haven't picked up on that yet.

Nothing's perfect so take it as it is and don't complain, and if it has a "final" tag on it, it just means the developer is done working on it. Beggars can't be choosers, and choosers can download the source and modify it themselves (or fsck it up even more ).

jwalters1123
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quit your belly aching dude, instead, a little appreciation would be a welcome change. We have so many different options to choose from. And every time my noob ass bricks my phone these guys have a post on how to fix it. Fb is right, go back to stock if it bothers you so much, but I'll stick with my 2 day battery life.

side note: on dictionary. com the word of the day is ungrateful turdlicker.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
chris31jct Old
Thanks Meter
I think that people get desperate when devs release and early version of a rom instead of an almost final. I think it would be best to release the "final" version to public and since there are many devs with the phone and so many wise users that know how to test and report correctly. In my humble opinion, a dev should pick a group of testers, silently and then release a "final" that probably would have 0 to very few changes. That way devs don't get pissed when people ask same questions and bring up many problems.

I have no problem testing or trying alpha, beta, charlie, delta......... zeta releases, but my concern is with devs releasing lots of projects and getting mad by people asking how to this and how to that. Yeah, read... blablabla yadda yadda... I know no one is in the obligation of doing nothing, either flash or develop or answer questions or help. Thing is that this is a community very diverse and noobs are going to be noobs, haters gonna hate and passive people will be passive...

No need to flame the OP. I think it's a good question, tho.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe