5,597,084 Members 46,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SK4G not being recognized on PC

Tip us?

DuctTapedGoat
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Cool Proper Driver Update

What is going on is that Windows is seeing a more recent signature file attached to the SK4G drivers on your computer (I don't believe anything at all is wrong with your device) than the working ones there.

First, in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Samsung Kies and Samsung Driver pack you installed earlier. Now...

Go into on your PC:

://windows/system32

And locate the same file names, cut them all, and paste them in a temporary folder you create, preferably on the desktop or something similar. You may not find every file, and that's okay, just the ones you can find. Next, you will be wanting to paste the driver files from the package I uploaded. Now, turn off Automatic Updates, so it doesn't automatically install drivers upon connection. Reboot the computer, double check and make sure Automatic Upates are off when you log back on. Now, connect the device and see if it gives you the same results. By removing the old drivers which don't work, you'll be able to force it to the ones we know work, and you /should/ have success. As well - USB data debugging active and activating connection for data transfer via the notification pulldown menu would be the best way to do this initially.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuctTapedGoat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Opt1kal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Would I be looking in c:\windows\system32\drivers for the same file names as the ones you packed up?

Opt1kal
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ok, so the only one I could find in the drivers folder was modem.sys. But it will not let me move/replace the one that's already in there. It's telling me access is denied, same thing when I try and set the permissions it will not let me. I am logged in as an Administrator, as well it says it when I log in as THE Administrator account. So yeah...

DuctTapedGoat
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Cool - modem.sys is a stock one that is shared with the device, so that's fine.

With the other two programs uninstalled, the old drivers uninstalled, and forcing it into those by pasting them into //win/sys32/drivers you should be in business. Hmm. You can try UnlockRoot.com's device rooter - I know they have an auto driver detector in their program. As well, you can try SuperOneClick, but I don't remember if they do or no. What about going in from the Recovery menu and toggling USB? Anything wierd going on in the /mounts? What about ADB shell access from the Android SDK on Windows?
The Following User Says Thank You to DuctTapedGoat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Opt1kal
Old
(Last edited by Opt1kal; 19th April 2012 at 04:29 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedGoat View Post
Cool - modem.sys is a stock one that is shared with the device, so that's fine.

With the other two programs uninstalled, the old drivers uninstalled, and forcing it into those by pasting them into //win/sys32/drivers you should be in business. Hmm. You can try UnlockRoot.com's device rooter - I know they have an auto driver detector in their program. As well, you can try SuperOneClick, but I don't remember if they do or no. What about going in from the Recovery menu and toggling USB? Anything wierd going on in the /mounts? What about ADB shell access from the Android SDK on Windows?

I tried plugging the phone in, still showing up as Unknown Device. Tried UnlockRoot.com's program, no change. Installing the Android SDK right now, as well as I tried deleting the INFCACHE.1 file, and no change with that either. Once I'm done installing the Android SDK I'll redelete the INFCACHE.1 file and restart and try the phone again.

I did go in and check the mounts in recovery and they were set to:
UNMOUNT CACHE
MOUNT DATA
UNMOUNT SDCARD
UNMOUNT SYSTEM

Thank you for your help so far.

UPDATE: So after installing the Android SDK, deleting the INFCACHE.1 file, restarting, and then plugging the phone in, comes up and says the USB Device is Not Recognized. Then goes to search the preconfigured driver folders, and fails to install the driver for Unknown Device. And ADB Devices shows no devices as well(didn't think it would, but yeah).

UPDATE: So after using my friends phone as a conduit to throw the Stock Odexed KJ2 w/ Root(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1328698) onto my SDCard and flashing that the phone seemed to go into a soft brick at pre-boot screen(where it says SAMSUNG T-Mobile blah blah blah). Mind you this would freeze before it was even able to get into recovery. So I took it into T-Mobile and they are doing a manufacturer warranty replacement. So hopefully this next phone will be able to connect to the computer and be read correctly.