Cell standby: AOSP vs. Sense

OP morbidmrmartin

14th April 2012, 04:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Lansing
Thanks Meter: 5

51 posts
More
Okay, I've been meaning to ask everyone about this for a while now. Has anyone noticed extremely high cell standby use in battery stats? The reason I ask is, when I am running a sense ROM it reads right around 5% usage. But when I am running any AOSP ROM, it usually between 35-40% and causes me to get really poor battery life. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
14th April 2012, 04:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 574

1,691 posts
Donate to Me
More
No, i have used both and havent really noticed anythiing like that. It may be just crappy cell signal, what roms were you comparing
14th April 2012, 04:39 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Lansing

51 posts
More
I've flashed just about everything available for Mt4g except the ICS ROM's. I'm running team Inferno's arhd at the moment, but have in the recent past tried coredroid, tdj's sense ROM and a few others as well as cyanogenmod, MIUI, and some other AOSP roms too. I get great service in my area, and this has been an issue on all three mt4g's I've had.

14th April 2012, 05:53 PM   |  #4  
Flag Laurens S.C.
Thanks Meter: 157

481 posts
More
I remember someone posting on here about sense or aosp roms, that you could open titanium backup and delete something called "Google Backup Transport" to help a lot of battery issue. I'm not sure if its related to what your problem is though..

Sent from my customized mt4g using XDA premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jjbadd385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2012, 06:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Lansing

51 posts
More
I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

14th April 2012, 06:19 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Space, the ONLY Frontier
Thanks Meter: 1,290

2,853 posts
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1532000

Sent from my Sense 4.0 Glacier using XDA Premium.
The Following User Says Thank You to invasion2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2012, 07:39 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Lansing

51 posts
More
Thank you for the link! Sounds like the exact problem I've been having.

16th April 2012, 02:01 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Lansing

51 posts
More
Well, I removed the Google transport apk. Looks like I have the same problem with really high cell standby. I'll keep looking for fixes, but until then, I guess I'm running sense.

16th April 2012, 05:33 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
More
Look into getting BetteryBatteryStats (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179809). This will help you figure out exactly which process is draining your battery, as it isn't always Google Transport.

Also, this is a long shot since you said you have this issue on all AOSP ROMs, but have you tried changing the kernel just to see if that makes a difference? I know each ROM comes with a different kernel, but maybe there's a combination of ROM + other kernel that will work for you, instead of the default. I know that was my issue at one point.
The Following User Says Thank You to vietannamese For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2012, 07:39 PM   |  #10  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 62

413 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidmrmartin

Okay, I've been meaning to ask everyone about this for a while now. Has anyone noticed extremely high cell standby use in battery stats? The reason I ask is, when I am running a sense ROM it reads right around 5% usage. But when I am running any AOSP ROM, it usually between 35-40% and causes me to get really poor battery life. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks for any info.

On the AOSP Roms I always thought that it was normal for cell standby to be the highest battery drainer in the list because that's just how it was reported for some reason. I could never get the Display's battery drain to be higher than the cell standby. But either way I got the same battery life whether I used Sense or AOSP. The only difference was that AOSP just displayed the battery usage wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ksunnyv1011 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread