Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,189 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I get a TP

Tip us?

hiz99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default Should I get a TP

So I've been wanting a tablet for a while and I missed the chance to get a TP when the fire sale happened. My dad just bought a Transformer Prime and that's pretty sweet but I don't want to shell out $600. So is this a good buy? Is it worth the $250-$300?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

skillz9669
Old
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Well, ask yourself this. Do you not want ANY issues? If so then no it's not worth it. I enjoy mine very much, but I have pretty much made the issues with the TP part of my normal usage routine. Like when it dies ( uh oh, sometimes doesn't like to come back on for a while), or when I reboot I have to re setup my wifi network and sometimes it just decides it doesn't want to do the whole auto rotate for me. However the apps run smooth, sound is great ( when the screen is on lol ). Downloading games no problem ( just once again don't let the screen shut off while its downloading sd files ). Oh and no camera unless in webos. So here is my last piece to help u with.

New android tab: 399-700ish
New tp 32gb: about 300
pros: nice size display, bright, loud, very smooth, decent batt life, can connect to many peripherals: wii remote, ps3 controller, mouse, keyboard, etc...
cons: camera only on front, issues with rom i posted up top, no external memory

hope this helps some
The Following User Says Thank You to skillz9669 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rectify
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have had my touch pad for almost 2 months, with cm on it for almost as long. The ONLY problem I've had with it is the camera not working.

I've had none of the problems the above user has. Works great, and is only getting better. And $299 is a bit steep. My 32 gig with case and speed charger was $225 shipped
The Following User Says Thank You to rectify For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hiz99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
So if I could buy one around $200 with accessories its a good deal?

Leoisright
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,891

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiz99 View Post

Good luck getting a 32 with accessories for $200. I'm letting one of mine go for $280 plus shipping with touchstone and keyboard. But mine has carbon fiber wrap and two used cases. Still thinking about listing on eBay cause it should fetch $300 easy cause the wrap got put on right after open so its about as new looking as possible.

Classicnerd Butta Shooter
Device: Samsung Note 2 and Samsung Nexus 10
Device: Microsoft Surface
Device: Samsung Tab 3 7"
ROM: S5 4.4.2 w/note 3 mods
Kernel: Stock

Nexus 10 Developement

Have helped with many mods and roms over the past 4 years. Devices I've helped include Evo 4G, Evo 4G LTE, Evo 3D, Note 2, HP Touchpad, and Nexus 10

Many thanks to Myn, Virus, Chubbzlou, Ewalk, TMartin, TommyTomatoe, CM, Sac, Platty, XDA, and so many more for helping me over the years to refine my skills

nightanole
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Im a noob (first android rooted phone in november) and i love my $180 16gb TP. Im running 30-31 AOKP and the ONLY issues are front camera and having to turn on and off the wifi (quick settings double tap) when coming out of sleep or switching locations.

For the price the only other options are the kindle fire and nook. and those dont support HD video or even ui hardware acceleration. You would have to spend $300 for a used/reconditioned true ICS tablet with the same features and battery life.

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1,398
The TouchPad is awesome in my opinion. No real issues running android except the camera and microphone, but that could come to us down the road. Everything else runs well. If you havent used webOS, you may even like that OS better. The ONLY downside to webOS is the lack of apps. But if you dont even use that many apps, you wont even notice. Running both operating systems at the same time is nice.

As far as pricing, a 16gb version, you might be able to get for $200 with one or two of the following: case, wall charger, screen protectors. Add a touchstone charger to it and it will be maybe $50 more. If you get a 32GB version, add another $30 or so. I got my 32 GB TouchPad for $230 off of ebay and it came with a case and wall charger. I'm planning on getting a touchstone charger eventually.

hiz99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
The TouchPad is awesome in my opinion. No real issues running android except the camera and microphone, but that could come to us down the road. Everything else runs well. If you havent used webOS, you may even like that OS better. The ONLY downside to webOS is the lack of apps. But if you dont even use that many apps, you wont even notice. Running both operating systems at the same time is nice.

As far as pricing, a 16gb version, you might be able to get for $200 with one or two of the following: case, wall charger, screen protectors. Add a touchstone charger to it and it will be maybe $50 more. If you get a 32GB version, add another $30 or so. I got my 32 GB TouchPad for $230 off of ebay and it came with a case and wall charger. I'm planning on getting a touchstone charger eventually.
What's so special about a touchstone charger?

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1,398
Quote:
What's so special about a touchstone charger?

Have you even seen it and know what it does? Its a charger that sits on a table/desk/whatever, and you just sit your Touchpad on it and it charges. No plugging in cables to charge. It also acts as an adjustable stand. This is one of the best accessories Palm started with their webOS phones. I loved the Touchstone for the Palm Pre Plus. Can't wait to use one with my TouchPad.

dung8604
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:

Is it a 16 gig or 32 gig? A 16 gig is a good deal, a 32 gig is a great deal! I recently got a 32 gig for 200 with case and touchstone dock.