5,604,443 Members 48,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Considering a xoom, still a good option?

Tip us?

jason4656
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Considering a xoom, still a good option?

have been looking round for a tab, while the transformer prime seems best its now almost double the cost of the xoom, even though the xoom is quite old, it seems anything else around is still tegra2 or dual core similar spec hardware to the xoom, so i dont see any point apart from the weight in getting anything newer or more expensive, is it still a good option guys? you can get one for around £260 in the UK where as the transformer prime would be £499 and the original transformer maybe £350

i just returned a scroll extreme as it was just soooooooooooooo laggy!! i dont want anything with huge lag like that again

Kippui
Old
Thanks Meter 29
This late? I wouldn't buy the xoom today at its current price.

okantomi
Old
Thanks Meter 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4656 View Post
have been looking round for a tab, while the transformer prime seems best its now almost double the cost of the xoom, even though the xoom is quite old, it seems anything else around is still tegra2 or dual core similar spec hardware to the xoom, so i dont see any point apart from the weight in getting anything newer or more expensive, is it still a good option guys? you can get one for around £260 in the UK where as the transformer prime would be £499 and the original transformer maybe £350

i just returned a scroll extreme as it was just soooooooooooooo laggy!! i dont want anything with huge lag like that again
So I'm the first to respond...the original Xoom is a wonderful device and is even better now than it was when it was new because it has ICS official update, and best of all, the most fantastic developers and real bleeding-edge advances in Xoom software. It's so well built and sturdy that the bit of additional weight doesn't matter. In my opinion the Xoom is still the best tablet available, as everything works well and there's tons of additional functionality with custom roms.
Transformer Infinity 32Gb - JB 4.1.1
ROM: CROMI v4.4 with _that kernel
Nexus 7 32Gb - JB 4.2.2
ROM: between sparksco's sabremod and sbdags' CROMi with M-kernel
SGS2 Epic 4G Touch - JB 4.2.2
ROM: Evervolv, Baked or Magical Unicorn
Xoom WiFi - JB 4.2.1
ROM: EOS 4 Wingray Nightly 180
Rockin' TWRP Touch Recovery on everything!

When someone--anyone--helps you, give them a THANKS!

Muffycheeks
Old
Thanks Meter 79
The xoom is built like a tank and with it's specs what else out there is better for the money. I have two of them and the last one I picked up for $315 U.S.

luke1333
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 105
Picked up 32 gb wifi only xoom a few months back with original box and 5 cases (4 still sealed) for $275 off craigslist. Didn't think it was too bad and I'll be keeping xoom for awhile

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

jason4656
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippui View Post
This late? I wouldn't buy the xoom today at its current price.
the only thing i can see maybe 'better' for the money is the asus transformer 101 maybe just because its a little lighter and can be expanded with the kb if need be, also the connectivity looks a little better placed, and its just as supposed with roms and people using it. These are both £290 ish in the UK?

i mean the xoom 2 is a little more expensive but for that lighter slimmer body you lose the expansion slow, sure you can use the usb host but i dont like that idea, would prefer an expansion slot, the galaxy tab just seem out there with the price, then you have the acer a200 which ones again is similar so im thinking the original xoom or asus transformer in this price bracket is the best option...

matt4321
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 970

DONATE TO ME
I only got my Xoom about 3 weeks ago, £280 from PC world. Been an android guy for a year now so did my research to see what the community support was like. Noticed that we're getting official CM9 support, that made the deal even sweeter. Still team EOS provide excellent support on AOSP builds. Even in terms of specs, great screen, great processor, can be overclocked (and stable). In my opinion this is still a great buy!

Nexus 7 (2013) | Sony Xperia T | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter

adil_
Old
Thanks Meter 110
I too want to buy a tablet. But I'm confused between xoom, galaxy tab 10.1 and transformer TF101.
So what do you guys suggest?
My requirements are, good support by Dev community and which wont brick easily...
Thanks..

Peace.
teamcooper
Nexus 4 : Stock Kikat 4.4.2
Galaxy Ace : Cyanogenmod10.1.
Funbook : Stock

PAinTheHouse
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi I just picked up a Motorola Xoom WiFi 32GB via a pricerunner.co.uk search. This got me a £5 discount making the delivered price just under £245. I tried to upgrade to ICE/Android 4.0, but managed to “Brick” the device …so be warned and be patient.
Fortunately I manage to resolve this issue with the help of some XDA forum links, YouTube and Motorola site itself. I will try and write up the details of my problem and solution in another thread.
I am now back to the original Android 3.2 version and so far I am very happy the XOOM.

matt4321
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 970

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiles View Post
I too want to buy a tablet. But I'm confused between xoom, galaxy tab 10.1 and transformer TF101.
So what do you guys suggest?
My requirements are, good support by Dev community and which wont brick easily...
Thanks..

Peace.
the Xoom has great community support and as far as I know the galaxy tab 10.1 does too because that was another option of mine and community support is a big factor when I buy a new product both I believe are getting official CM9 support. i can't speak for the TF101,I don't know much about that one

Nexus 7 (2013) | Sony Xperia T | Motorola Xoom
Follow Me On Twitter