Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,692 Members 52,366 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE]HipKat’s Ultimate Guide To Everything Evo 4G.

Tip us?

Kmplx1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
awesome guide needed this!

Kevtrooper
Old
Thanks Meter 11
That is a great guide. I wish I had found it sooner when I rooted my phone. I found something else on rooting the phone and got it rooted to get rid of bloatware. I did something wrong with a setting in Titanium Backup which caused my phone to go into a bootloop. I thought my phone was done for until I went on Google and found XDA and was able to find a thread that helped me get my phone working again. I am a noob at all of this and this guide has really taught me a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevtrooper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HipKat
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1827

DONATE TO ME
Thanks Kev.. That's just why I wrote it. Too much confusing info out there
Samsung Galaxy S4 • SCH-R970
Android 4.4.4
ROM • SOKP MKK444 V01
KERNEL • Alucard v2.6.9.b
GAPPS • PA Modular Full 4.4.4 20140804
RADIO • R970TYUFND1
RECOVERY • Philz Touch 5.06.6

My Life Is Committed To Jesus!

wrldind
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Do you happen to have a guide like this on rooting the EVO with hboot 2.18 threw htcdev? I know once I finally get rooted I will be going threw this guide a lot.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

toolongtospell
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default Out of space with 32gb card?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
This would be a good time to download the custom ROM you want to use along with Dark Tremors Apps to SD Card (DT A2SD) and put them in the folders you created. I keep DT A2SD in the Utilities Folder. I would also suggest you download the V6 Supercharger Script and ViperMOD for AOSP Kernels (Also kept in Utilities). I would also search for the RUU for your particular phone, in case you ever need to do a complete reset back to “Out-Of-The-Box”. There are 2 types; PC36IMG.zip that you run in the bootloader (which I prefer) or an .exe that you run on your computer.

Partition Your SD Card

I think this is the first, most important thing you can do after backing up your original setup and before moving on to custom ROMs. And it’s very simple.

Create a folder on your Computer Desktop and Call it Evo Backup or something similar. Copy everything on your SD Card into this folder. When you partition, it will erase everything on your SD Card, so you must back it all up.
When it’s finished, click on USB-MS Toggle to disconnect from your computer. Scroll down to Partition SD Card and click on it.
Since the Evo doesn’t currently support SWAP, you can use 0 for the Swap Partition. If you have an 8 Gig or larger SD Card, you can use 2048 for the EXT Partition, although 1024 should be fine. The EXT Partition is where all of your Apps will be stored on your SD Card. If you’re going to move your Dalvik-Cache to the SD Card, you may want to use 2048.

While this is going on you may want to look for a ROM that the Dev has said contains Titanium Backup, or if you ADB and you know what you’re doing, you can pull the app prior to all of this, and add it to the XDA\Apps folder, if you created one, in your backup. The actual name of the app is com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

Once the process is complete, select Upgrade EXT 2 to EXT 3. Do not use EXT 4. Your SD Card is now partitioned and you’re ready to restore your backup and flash your custom ROM so back out, go to USB-MS Toggle, select it and copy everything from the EVO Backup folder on your computer, back to your SD Card.
Ok so here's my problem. I'm using Nitrous Oxide Rom w/ DT a2sd. I currently have a 32gb sd card formatted to FAT32. According to Titanium Backup this is the free space left on my phone System ROM: 113MB free / Internal: 327MB free / SD Card: 26.7GB free / SD Card (a2sd): 4.75GB free.... I have all this free space, but I cannot install anymore apps. I used to have more apps when I was on CM7.2, but for whatever reason I cannot install anything else despite all my free space.

When I partitioned my SD card I formatted the main in FAT32, and then made a ext-2 of 5GB, and swap of 32MB (reading here made me realize that my Evo doesn't use swap) I then upgraded my ext-2 to 3. I used terminal emu to run the command "a2sd re-install" to move existing and future apps to the ext-3 partition(5GB) Now I'm stuck with the message saying unable to download due to lack of storage space; Even though I have plenty.

If I have done something wrong in the process can anyone help me out?

HipKat
Old
Thanks Meter 1827

DONATE TO ME
Seems like you did everything right, and I'll look, but I think there's a problem with partitioning 32gb cards that aren't a certain class or higher.

As for swap, I'd keep it. You never know if it might be implemented at some point
Android 4.4.4
ROM • SOKP MKK444 V01
RADIO • R970TYUFND1

toolongtospell
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Yeah I when I was looking on how to partition my sd card I really didn't find anything on a 32GB card. So I could understand how there might be an issue. I have plenty of 16GB cards that I can use if need be.

HipKat
Old
Thanks Meter 1827

DONATE TO ME
You should give one a try, using the same parameters and see what happens
Android 4.4.4
ROM • SOKP MKK444 V01
RADIO • R970TYUFND1

toolongtospell
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Once I get off of work I guess I will give it a try. I just don't want to cut my storage space in half... I guess though if I cannot install apps properly why bother with a 32GB

projektidiot
Old
Thanks Meter 5
thanks a ton for the guide, HipKat.

I'm having a little trouble, however, trying to install either of the roms from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1493631

I install them following your guide, I do the excessive wiping, I've tried with and without installing A2SD, but no matter what it just sticks at the white screen with the Evo logo. I saw in another thread that you recommended trying pulling wiping the cache and Dalvik and then rebooting and that didn't help either. Any ideas?

My info:

Baseband Version: 2.15.00.12.19
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.10-g4b48446
Software Number: 4.67.651.3
PRI Version: 2.33_003

HBOOT: 2.18.0001
Radio: 2.15.00.12.19
Dec 21, 2011, 12:50:32

Ras: 3.11