5,814,633 Members 53,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How To] Flash ICS ROMs with S-ON Unlocked

Tip us?

CoNsPiRiSiZe
Old
Thanks Meter 265
@"cj chitwood"

I followed this thread. My point in posting my experience was that *IT APPEARS* I didn't need to flash the ROM... I just used command "fastboot boot boot.img" and it did its thing. Idk what happened to make that happen but how I read the OP guide it doesn't seem it means to work like that.

So what I did. I have ADB/Fastboot setup in a folder on my C: drive. I put the extracted boot.img from the ROM of my choice into that folder and hooked up my phone to my laptop.
I then booted into Fastboot mode and used the Fastboot command as described in OP. After that my phone went into "Know-it-all" mode and just booted up the ROM.

If I need to clarify I can as I wrote this from memory.

Just my spare change.
Did someone reply to your post? Does it matter if they're right? No! They volunteered their time to try to help, it's a community, hit the thanks button for them!

CoNsPiRiSiZe
Old
Thanks Meter 265
OOOOOPPPPPPPPPS

I was wrong!!!

i forgot the word flash when i kept typing "fastboot boot boot.img"

oops haahaha disregard whatever i said CJ
Did someone reply to your post? Does it matter if they're right? No! They volunteered their time to try to help, it's a community, hit the thanks button for them!

cj chitwood
Old
Thanks Meter 70
@CoNsPiRiSiZe

I see, then you did flash. There was a way with the G1 to boot an entire image or just a kernel or so just by using fastboot commands; it looked like this was how you did it. Got it, then. I do wonder though if the way with the G1 was hardware specific or Android generic...

T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide Khaki
  • Don't quote entire huge posts just to post some stupid one-line comment like "flashing now lol!"
  • Want to say thanks? Don't make a new post just for that... HIT THE BUTTON INSTEAD.
  • Keep your sig small. Nobody cares about your speedtest.
  • Keep your posts on-topic

Doing these things makes sifting through your garbage posts that much easier for people like me who actually do try to use search.

r4d14n7
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Basically, recovery does not have the permission to flash the boot image, but fastboot does? Is that the bottom line?
T-Mobile G2x
CM 7.2

Nexus 7 (16GB)
Rooted Stock

"Okay, listen. We should get our stories straight, alright? If anyone asks - and no one's gonna ask, don't worry - but if anyone asks, tell them as far as you know, the last time you checked, everyone looked pretty much alive. Alright? Not dead."
-Wheatley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r4d14n7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tbalden
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,428

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d14n7 View Post
Basically, recovery does not have the permission to flash the boot image, but fastboot does? Is that the bottom line?
Yes
htc one teaMSeven Sense/GPe Android 4.4 with Flick2Wake/Pick2Wake kernels here
Donate to me!

VirtuousROM member
Twitter @illespal http://twitter.com/illespal
gplus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104117834086133689848/posts
The Following User Says Thank You to tbalden For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yellowjacket1981
Old
Thanks Meter 60
So, I can confirm this works. My boyfriend recently had his phone stolen, and the insurance replacement had the new hboot on it. He is very new to rooting and roming, and thought he could do things like he did on the old hboot. He restored a back up of bulletproof, and everything was messed up. He was cursing and damning his phone, when in reality it was him not doing his research that caused the problems. He finally in desperation decided to let me fix it. I flashed the kernel through fastboot, and now everything is working peachy keen. Thanks for making me look like an Android god/ bad ass to my newb boyfriend.
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowjacket1981 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

homeboy773
Old
Thanks Meter 1
WORKED!!! I love this! I unlocked boot loader with all in one kit, but it didnt want to root my phone. So I seen this and said wth. Tried it the first time and it didnt work it just stayed in a boot loop. Well IM guessing thats because the first rom must not have been ICs so i went back and downloaded a rom that I knew was ICS and tried it once more ...It rebooted with the mytouch screen then went to a black screen wTh? Oh no....a second later ALL TYPES OF COLORS YES!! ICS lol and it ROOTED my phone!? I say that becuase i couldnt root before no matter what even having recovery it wouldnt grant SU , but with doing this it rooted , THANK GOSH! lol
THANKS GUYS.

HB

mannyftw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wow, thank you so much. I was seriously about to give up on this, but I decided to give it one more go and I finally got CM9 on my phone. Still have S-On though.

o0k00l
Old
Thanks Meter 19
E:\update-cm-9.0.0-alpha3-doubleshot-signed>fastboot flash
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external com
operable program or batch file.

What i m doing wrong ?????
HTC One X =16GB=
Yahoo Id :- 9999825354@yahoo.com

-----------History-----------
Nokia 6610 -> SE W200 -> SE w800 -> Nokia N95 -> SE P1i -> SE X1 -> SE X10i -> HTC Inspire 4G -> HTC one X ..

Use Thanx Button.

cj chitwood
Old
(Last edited by cj chitwood; 27th May 2012 at 11:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0k00l View Post
E:\update-cm-9.0.0-alpha3-doubleshot-signed>fastboot flash
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external com
operable program or batch file.

What i m doing wrong ?????
Not knowing how to use dos is 1 thing.

When in dos and you run a command, the system first look in the folder that you're running the command from for that command, and if it does not find it and it has a list of directories in which to look for the command. This list of directories is called the path variable. What I recommend, is that you find where your fastboot.exe file is, and add the location of that file to your system path variable. If you do not know how to do this, I recommend you try google because it's a common enough thing that the answer should be easy to find.

Alternatively, you can put a copy of the fastboot.exe file in the directory where your flashable image is located and run the command from that directory. The problem with this method, while it works, is that you will need a copy of the fastboot.exe file in whatever directory you run it from every time you run it.

--
Posted from Twitchie, my CyanogenMOD 9 powered HTC DoubleShot

T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide Khaki
  • Don't quote entire huge posts just to post some stupid one-line comment like "flashing now lol!"
  • Want to say thanks? Don't make a new post just for that... HIT THE BUTTON INSTEAD.
  • Keep your sig small. Nobody cares about your speedtest.
  • Keep your posts on-topic

Doing these things makes sifting through your garbage posts that much easier for people like me who actually do try to use search.

The Following User Says Thank You to cj chitwood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]